THIS DATE IN WHITE SOX HISTORY/MARCH 7TH

StatManDu

WHO NEEDS THE DH?

1994: White Sox ace Jack McDowell gave up one hit in four innings and delivered a run-scoring double in a 3-2 split squad loss to the Pittsburgh Pirates in a Grapefruit League game in Bradenton, Fla. The reigning Cy Young Award winner drove in Mike LaValliere with a gapper in the fourth-inning for his first hit in seven spring training at bats. The next day’s Chicago Tribune pointed out that McDowell notched his first spring hit before Michael Jordan did.

MARCH 6TH: BO DOESN’T KNOW FIRST BASE

1993: The White Sox gave Bo Jackson a look-see at first base in a 6-2 Grapefruit League loss to the Texas Rangers in Port Charlotte, Fla. Three quick errors may have showed the Sox that the Jackson was not cut out for first base. “I knew I stunk out there but I was having fun,” Jackson said in the Chicago Tribune. “I was lucky to get out of there with three errors.” Jackson never played a regular season game at first base in his eight-year career.