St. Patrick's Day

SoxFan1

Anyone have any plans?

This year, I'll be attending the festivities in Savannah, GA. Apparently they are known for their St. Patrick's Day parade and celebrations. Bars are open all day, you can drink on the streets, and they have to-go cups. Works for me.

St. Patrick's Day and the week leading to it are a busy time at my house. Both of my girls are Irish dancers, and beginning this Sunday they have about 8 shows to do at various bars and restaurants. On St. Patrick's Day alone they have three shows: early afternoon, late afternoon, and evening.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 9, 2012 -> 01:35 AM)
Anyone have any plans?

This year, I'll be attending the festivities in Savannah, GA. Apparently they are known for their St. Patrick's Day parade and celebrations. Bars are open all day, you can drink on the streets, and they have to-go cups. Works for me.

Right on. I'll be in Savannah as well. Supposed to be a great time.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Mar 12, 2012 -> 10:16 AM)
Right on. I'll be in Savannah as well. Supposed to be a great time.

Apparently they are expecting their biggest festivities ever this year. The parade festivities might be bigger than New York's.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 08:18 PM)
Apparently they are expecting their biggest festivities ever this year. The parade festivities might be bigger than New York's.

Yep, that's the word. Because of it falling on a Saturday, many more people will be able to go. I can't freaking wait. Leaving work in about 5 hours to get down there.

Eating nachos out of a green Sox batting helmet and watching the Sox hopefully beat the Mariners. :gosox1:

That sounds like a fantastic idea. All I'm lacking are nachos, a green Sox batting helmet, and a Sox team capable of beating the Mariners.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 16, 2012 -> 12:27 PM)
Just remember corned beef and soda bread have nothing to do with Ireland.

thumbnail2.jpg

Saint Patrick's Day

In the U.S. and Canada, consumption of corned beef is often associated with Saint Patrick's Day. Corned beef is not considered an Irish national dish, and the connection with Saint Patrick's Day specifically originates as part of Irish-American culture, and is often part of their celebrations in North America. In Ireland, the closest traditional dish is bacon and cabbage (more akin to Canadian style bacon or ham). Corned beef and cabbage became popular in the U.S. after Irish immigrants in the northeast used corned beef instead of pork in the dish. This substitution was likely due to the low cost of corned beef in the U.S.

Corned beef was used as a substitute for bacon by Irish American immigrants in the late 19th century. A similar dish is the New England boiled dinner, consisting of corned beef, cabbage, and root vegetables such as carrots, turnips, and potatoes, which is popular in New England and parts of Atlantic Canada.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 16, 2012 -> 12:27 PM)
Just remember corned beef and soda bread have nothing to do with Ireland.

They're still pretty good. I'm half Irish, but I couldn't give two s***s less about that day.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 16, 2012 -> 01:31 PM)
Yeah most people don't know the story of Irish immigrants having to substitute foods when they came here.

Irish brown bread and colcannon are both really good.

Actually, I think a whole lot of people know that corned beef isn't really an Irish thing, so much as an Irish-American thing.