Reports: Illini hire John Groce

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 9, 2012 -> 10:21 AM)
Come back to Carbondale please. #pipedream

That would be a great landing spot for Weber.

Nice guy, ran a clean program, and coached the best team in Illinois history. Both sides needed a fresh start.

Hopefully the new coach can keep everyone, maintain the 2013 commits, and quickly establish relationships with the loaded 2013 and 2014 classes in Illinois.

I'll say one thing for Mike Thomas, he's acted quickly and decisively with Ron Zook, Jolette Law (Women's BB) and now Weber.

I just hope his Illini hiring skills prove to be as sharp as his firing skills.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 9, 2012 -> 09:38 AM)
and bring Jabari Parker #biggerpipedreaminvolvinghuffinglue

How about bring Milik Yarborough #pipedreaminvolvingsmokingmeth

Seriously though, firing Weber lowers Illinois chances of Parker and Yarborough greatly from people I have talked to. Their parents really like Bruce.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 9, 2012 -> 10:25 AM)

Seriously though, firing Weber lowers Illinois chances of Parker and Yarborough greatly from people I have talked to. Their parents really like Bruce.

Parker's parents just had a story in the suntimes or the tribune basically stating that Illinois would be out of the picture without Weber. Obviously that could change, but that's tough to take.

I'll pass on Shaka. Give me Brad Stevens, who I think we have a better shot at honestly (though both are slim to none). Stevens just got a reality check to what a ten year run at Butler will look like when Indiana is back to full strength (i.e., no recruits).

Shaka has a tie to Thomas, as Thomas hired him at Akron years ago. But he's taking a second VCU team to the dance. He's making millions. He's got a long term contract at a school with minimal expectations. He'd be walking into a "OMG YOU HAVE TO WIN NOW, WE'RE THE BEST SCHOOL EVER" crazy fanbase. I just hope Illinois ponies up some real money for a real coach. Something in the 2-2.5 million range. If you're going to contend annually for the big ten title, you better be up there with MSU/OSU/IU in salary.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 9, 2012 -> 10:25 AM)

Liking Bruce and selecting Bruce to be their son's head coach is vastly different. Bruce does not have a great track record closing the deal on top recruits.

Shaka Smart is the exact type of coach who can relate the both players and parents. Young and energetic for the players, well-spoken, articulate and intelligent to impress the parents. The guy is the real deal. He should be Illinois' top choice no doubt. I wouldn't be surprised if he could get in with the Parkers quickly, especially if Jerrance is still around.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 9, 2012 -> 11:00 AM)
Parker's parents just had a story in the suntimes or the tribune basically stating that Illinois would be out of the picture without Weber. Obviously that could change, but that's tough to take.

I'll pass on Shaka. Give me Brad Stevens, who I think we have a better shot at honestly (though both are slim to none). Stevens just got a reality check to what a ten year run at Butler will look like when Indiana is back to full strength (i.e., no recruits).

Shaka has a tie to Thomas, as Thomas hired him at Akron years ago. But he's taking a second VCU team to the dance. He's making millions. He's got a long term contract at a school with minimal expectations. He'd be walking into a "OMG YOU HAVE TO WIN NOW, WE'RE THE BEST SCHOOL EVER" crazy fanbase. I just hope Illinois ponies up some real money for a real coach. Something in the 2-2.5 million range. If you're going to contend annually for the big ten title, you better be up there with MSU/OSU/IU in salary.

From what I've heard, Shaka is the target. Stevens seems to be the pipedream because of his buyout. I want Anthony Grant though. He's great with recruits, demands respect, and all his guys turn into defenders under him. I think he's going to be the next great coach. Shaka I think is going to flame out. JMO though.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 9, 2012 -> 11:00 AM)

You go into coaching though to be somewhere where those are the expectations. As great a job as he's done at VCU, who wants to become a lifetime Colonial Athletic Conference coach? You want to be on the big stage and playing against the top teams in the country night in and night out.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 9, 2012 -> 11:23 AM)
From what I've heard, Shaka is the target. Stevens seems to be the pipedream because of his buyout. I want Anthony Grant though. He's great with recruits, demands respect, and all his guys turn into defenders under him. I think he's going to be the next great coach. Shaka I think is going to flame out. JMO though.

Does anyone know Shaka's buyout?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 9, 2012 -> 11:32 AM)
Illinois shouldn't interview a single coach from Chicago. Might as well start prematurely slapping self-imposed bans for the future if you're going down that road.

I've thought about it, but at this point, I wouldn't care. I'll gladly take 3-5 years of legit excitement in the program with a chance at a National Championship game doing things the wrong way over another 5 years of mediocrity doing things the right way. I don't care if the appearances are taken away either because that won't take away the excitement and experience of those 3-5 years.

I don't think Smith is ready, but I'd gladly put him in a Wayne McClain role. I'd hold onto Jerrance Howard as well.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 9, 2012 -> 11:40 AM)
I've thought about it, but at this point, I wouldn't care. I'll gladly take 3-5 years of legit excitement in the program with a chance at a National Championship game doing things the wrong way over another 5 years of mediocrity doing things the right way. I don't care if the appearances are taken away either because that won't take away the excitement and experience of those 3-5 years.

I don't think Smith is ready, but I'd gladly put him in a Wayne McClain role. I'd hold onto Jerrance Howard as well.

You're crazy. Then we're back to the 1990's. It took Illinois a decade to get back to national prominence. No thanks. I'd rather go through the early 00's (sweet 16's and elite eights) with an NC run once a decade than be irrelevant for 8-10 years.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 9, 2012 -> 06:22 PM)
Shaka Smart is the exact type of coach who can relate the both players and parents. Young and energetic for the players, well-spoken, articulate and intelligent to impress the parents. The guy is the real deal. He should be Illinois' top choice no doubt. I wouldn't be surprised if he could get in with the Parkers quickly, especially if Jerrance is still around.

I can't see Parker going to play for Shaka and his gimmick defense. I'm a huge Shaka fan, but you absolutely do not hire someone just to get Parker for one season.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 9, 2012 -> 11:52 AM)
You're crazy. Then we're back to the 1990's. It took Illinois a decade to get back to national prominence. No thanks. I'd rather go through the early 00's (sweet 16's and elite eights) with an NC run once a decade than be irrelevant for 8-10 years.

This. Been there, done that on the other thing. Not worth it.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 9, 2012 -> 07:06 PM)
I can't see Parker going to play for Shaka and his gimmick defense. I'm a huge Shaka fan, but you absolutely do not hire someone just to get Parker for one season.

This. It's Chicago anyways. Parker may be special, but there's going to be top ten talent every year almost.

I still say you guys should hire that guy from Creighton.

If you guys can get Shaka, obviously he's the number one choice. Failing that, go balls out after Marshall at Wichita State. Or, hell, go get Eustachy back in a BCS conference. :P