Reports: Illini hire John Groce

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 21, 2012 -> 11:01 AM)
Shaka has agreed to do studio work for the tournament this weekend, starting tomorrow. This means 2 things IMO:

1) He'll have a decision made by today

2) He's not coming here

I don't think he'd go on TV with this hanging and make that the storyline. I also fail to see how he'd accept a job and then be in the studio for the weekend. I think this just comes down to the fact he doesn't want to leave his little place in Richmond. It's not about the money, as we've reportedly offered enough. It's a much better job, all things considered, he just doesn't want the change. I know the perception will be Illinois is down because they didn't get him, but if we made a great offer and he wants to stay, that's on him. Minus maybe 4 programs (and even that's a maybe), Smart wouldn't leave his current position. I don't think it's Illinois in particular. IMO it's a dumb long term career move, but he's going to do what he wants depending on what makes him happy.

If this is the case, time to move on, lot of good candidates and interest in the job.

TV is best possible interview for any and all possible openings. He exposes himself to the major donors and ADs.

I more meant that I really dislike Frank Martin and would take a complete dark horse over him. Unlike other Duke assistants, Chris Collins has something else going for him, the fact that his dad is widely respected in basketball circles, so this isnt going to be another Coach K Jr.

Im pretty sure Collins would take the job, hes from Illinois and at worst Id expect hed be solid.

QUOTE (Tex @ Mar 21, 2012 -> 01:05 PM)
TV is best possible interview for any and all possible openings. He exposes himself to the major donors and ADs.

He didn't need an interview. He already had an offer.

He wasn't going on TV with all this hanging in limbo.

I'm still kinda shocked he turned them down. An extra million a year and more national exposure? No one talks about VCU until the tournament, and that could have easily changed this year if they had lost to Wichita State in the first round.

I think both he and Stevens are making big mistakes. Gonzaga and Few worked out because the west coast blows for college basketball. He made a mid-major a "major" program because he was able to carve out a decent niche for recruiting. I don't see Butler or VCU being able to do that.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 21, 2012 -> 01:17 PM)
I'm still kinda shocked he turned them down. An extra million a year and more national exposure? No one talks about VCU until the tournament, and that could have easily changed this year if they had lost to Wichita State in the first round.

I think both he and Stevens are making big mistakes. Gonzaga and Few worked out because the west coast blows for college basketball. He made a mid-major a "major" program because he was able to carve out a decent niche for recruiting. I don't see Butler or VCU being able to do that.

I'd love Grant, who apparently isn't interested. I'd love Stevens(#1 choice), but his buyout won't come from Illinois. Theus would be next in line.

Whoever it ends up being, it will be the 2nd/3rd/4th/X choice, Illini fans will not be happy, and he will start the season behind the 8-ball.

Between this and Beckman, Thomas is really not having a great first run at being the Illini AD

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 21, 2012 -> 01:30 PM)
Whoever it ends up being, it will be the 2nd/3rd/4th/X choice, Illini fans will not be happy, and he will start the season behind the 8-ball.

Between this and Beckman, Thomas is really not having a great first run at being the Illini AD

Wow that's way too early to say considering Beckman hasn't coached a game yet and we don't know who the basketball coach is, if anything fans like you are the problem :stick

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 21, 2012 -> 01:39 PM)
You can't deny he's struck out big time on two big guys though. It might work out in the end, but his tenure isn't exactly starting off with a bang.

He didn't get his main targets but not sure how that's all on him, its not like he has a magic wand and command them to accept the job.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Mar 21, 2012 -> 01:46 PM)
He didn't get his main targets but not sure how that's all on him, its not like he has a magic wand and command them to accept the job.

Correct. We can only judge him on the actual hires and if they work. Which we won't know for a while. Doesn't appear any AD in that situation was getting Smart to jump.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 21, 2012 -> 01:39 PM)
You can't deny he's struck out big time on two big guys though. It might work out in the end, but his tenure isn't exactly starting off with a bang.

Illinois never had a chance with Sumlin once A & M opened up.

If Smart ends up going somewhere else sometime soon, then it will look bad, but if he stays at VCU, what else can he have done?

Either way, you have to give Thomas's hires time to coach and see what happens.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 21, 2012 -> 12:54 PM)
Id take Chris Collins over Frank Martin.

I'd almost take Kelvin Sampson over Chris Collins. Besides having no head coaching experience, he's a rich, white, North Shore suburbanite who might have succesfully recruited Jon Scheyer out of his own high school, but is not likely to connect with inner city kids. And other than Mike Brey, Coach K's coaching tree is pretty barren.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Mar 21, 2012 -> 01:31 PM)
Wow that's way too early to say considering Beckman hasn't coached a game yet and we don't know who the basketball coach is, if anything fans like you are the problem :stick

I am no illini fan, I'm just calling it like I see it. You guys weren't exactly doing backflips when Beckman was hired, and truthfully I saw a lot of "who?" When he got the job.

When the primary target says no, especially after the media hung on it like they did, fans usually aren't happy with the next guy in line. Its just the way it is.

lol

Man really? You think that Doug Collins kid is going to have a hard time walking into a house and talking with inner city kids about the Bulls, about how his dad knows Derrick Rose, about the United Center, about how the NBA and how he is going to make them NBA players.

You really think Shaka Smart, from WISCONSIN, would connect better to Chicago players, simply because of his race.

WOW.

(Edit)

And to add to this, why are Self, Calipari and Roy Williams able to recruit when they are rich white guys?

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 21, 2012 -> 02:08 PM)
lol

Man really? You think that Doug Collins kid is going to have a hard time walking into a house and talking with inner city kids about the Bulls, about how his dad knows Derrick Rose, about the United Center, about how the NBA and how he is going to make them NBA players.

You really think Shaka Smart, from WISCONSIN, would connect better to Chicago players, simply because of his race.

WOW.

Please show me where I said "simply because of his race." That was just one of several negative factors I cited about Collins.

WOW to your reading comprehension.

Um, what?

You said "Besides for having no head coaching experience" and then made this gem of a statement:

he's a rich, white, North Shore suburbanite who might have succesfully recruited Jon Scheyer out of his own high school, but is not likely to connect with inner city kids.

So I responded about CONNECTING WITH INNER CITY KIDS.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 21, 2012 -> 02:07 PM)
I am no illini fan, I'm just calling it like I see it. You guys weren't exactly doing backflips when Beckman was hired, and truthfully I saw a lot of "who?" When he got the job.

When the primary target says no, especially after the media hung on it like they did, fans usually aren't happy with the next guy in line. Its just the way it is.

That's the problem with Thomas so far. He's made his wishes known publicly, so when they backfire it looks bad. Had this been done behind closed doors and Shaka passed that would be fine. But he came out early and said he's our #1 guy, we're doing everything to get him. So of course if that doesn't happen the logical conclusion is "well, it must be the school."

I'm not jumping off a cliff over this. I think Shaka would have been a great get, but there are other equally talented guys out there. I just think the percent chance of failure with him was lower than anyone else. I think he'd be able to recruit right away (and not out of Chicago, but from the east coast and southeast) and get his guys motivated to play for him, which has been the biggest thing missing for a long time.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 21, 2012 -> 02:17 PM)
Um, what?

You said "Besides for having no head coaching experience" and then made this gem of a statement:

So I responded about CONNECTING WITH INNER CITY KIDS.

Oh, I see you went back and read it. Excellent.

You made a huge point of emphasizing "simply because of his race" after you cherry picked it right out from between "rich" and ""North Shore."

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Mar 21, 2012 -> 02:22 PM)
Oh, I see you went back and read it. Excellent.

You made a huge point of emphasizing "simply because of his race" after you cherry picked it right out from between "rich" and ""North Shore."

It isn't really cherry picking, it's pretty much what you said.

Right because (imo) rich and from the North Shore were other ways of describing "Hes a white guy". Lets say it was Michael Jordan for the head coaching job of Illinois, would you say "Hes rich and from the North Shore" therefore he cant connect?

In my opinion the implication was pretty clear. I guess being from the North Shore, when I hear those phrases, I immediately think of the stereotype, and lets just say it doesnt involve a rainbow of races.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Mar 21, 2012 -> 02:23 PM)
It isn't really cherry picking, it's pretty much what you said.

B.S.

I never said its "simply about race." A rich, black kid from the North Shore would be similarly disadvantaged. Collins grew up with a millionaire daddy never wanting for a thing in his life. If you guys don't think that mighrt impede his ability to connect with inner city folks, I totally and completely disagree.

"Hey man, I've never missed a meal, never been a head coach before, all other assistants from school have flamed out as college coaches, but my rich daddy knows MJ." Yeah, I can see the entire Public League lining up now.