Reports: Illini hire John Groce

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 06:42 PM)
I wont comment on why he was fired, but its simply more than a blanket statement like recruiting or coaching. As for Jerrance, he's 29. That's why.

29 year olds get jobs, especially if they show they are outstanding as assistants at major schools. Maybe he doesn't want to, I obviously don't know, but IMO, Weber got fired because the AD is new and he wanted to be a tough guy, and probably thought he'd have no problem landing a guy like Smart, but that new AD has a reputation that is scaring away a lot of people. If the Illini get Groce, it will still be OK, I don't see how he could be a disaster, although the longer it takes if the reports were true and it was a done deal already, the better the odds Groce tells Illinois to go scratch.

If they named Howard or Theus the new head coach, it would mean they will still be paying Weber while paying an inferior coach as well. If I'm a trustee, I'd be wondering about the new AD.

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 06:44 PM)
Fwiw, Groce didn't inherit a mess. He inherited a program that won 80 games the previous four years(he's improved on that, but just saying)

3rd, 5th, 5th, 2nd, 4th, 4th, 3rd in their half of the MAC under the previous coach. 1 tourney appearance and first round exit. Ohio was an afterthought in the MAC. Groce is trending up big time at least in that conference. Doesnt make him a great hire, but he didnt take over even a halfway decent program, they were improving from bottom of the barrel, but thats about it. They are my alma mater's main rival FYI.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 12:54 AM)
3rd, 5th, 5th, 2nd, 4th, 4th, 3rd in their half of the MAC under the previous coach. 1 tourney appearance and first round exit. Ohio was an afterthought in the MAC. Groce is trending up big time at least in that conference. Doesnt make him a great hire, but he didnt take over even a halfway decent program, they were improving from bottom of the barrel, but thats about it. They are my alma mater's main rival FYI.

Those places are actually better than what Groce has done, considering Groce has finished at best third in his division, I believe once.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 06:44 PM)
Fwiw, Groce didn't inherit a mess. He inherited a program that won 80 games the previous four years(he's improved on that, but just saying)

What kind of roster did he inherit? Where there still starters from the teams that won games the previous years? One reason coaches bolt, especially to places like Bryant University, is the future doesn't look so great where they are at. I have no idea about Ohio's rosters FWIW. I do know this guy has got that school in the tournament 2 out of the last 3 years and has won 3 games. He also recruited a lot of Ohio State's top players when he was an assitant there. He's certainly not the sexy hire, but probably the most competent at this point, but if I was him, I wonder how much Illinois really wants me. This is a crazy situation. I can't remember a school having such a hard time, especially with the money they have been willing to throw out there.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 01:02 AM)
What kind of roster did he inherit? Where there still starters from the teams that won games the previous years? One reason coaches bolt, especially to places like Bryant University, is the future doesn't look so great where they are at. I have no idea about Ohio's rosters FWIW. I do know this guy has got that school in the tournament 2 out of the last 3 years and has won 3 games. He also recruited a lot of Ohio State's top players when he was an assitant there. He's certainly not the sexy hire, but probably the most competent at this point, but if I was him, I wonder how much Illinois really wants me. This is a crazy situation. I can't remember a school having such a hard time, especially with the money they have been willing to throw out there.

Not sure what he inherited. The guy left for Bryant because it was his hometown I believe

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 06:59 PM)
Those places are actually better than what Groce has done, considering Groce has finished at best third in his division, I believe once.

Yeah but in the MAC the champs are crowned in the tourney so actually he has 2 to the previous staff's one.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 01:07 AM)
Yeah but in the MAC the champs are crowned in the tourney so actually he has 2 to the previous staff's one.

Well I'd say that's just semantics. The guy has done well in tournaments. I've given him that. But if were going for a non exciting hire I would like some more stability and the greater picture doesn't seem to reflect that.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 07:09 PM)
Well I'd say that's just semantics. The guy has done well in tournaments. I've given him that. But if were going for a non exciting hire I would like some more stability and the greater picture doesn't seem to reflect that.

Right, but thats the way champs are crowned in that league, kind of like the new Big Ten in football.

And I get the frustration, like I said earlier I prefer Chris Jent taking over for Matta when he's done in the next couple of years over someone like Groce. I would be incredibly disappointed to hire Groce.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 07:15 PM)
Right, but thats the way champs are crowned in that league, kind of like the new Big Ten in football.

And I get the frustration, like I said earlier I prefer Chris Jent taking over for Matta when he's done in the next couple of years over someone like Groce. I would be incredibly disappointed to hire Groce.

Is Matta really going to retire that soon? He's not that old.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 09:21 PM)
Is Matta really going to retire that soon? He's not that old.

Rock just posted an article going into the severe back issues he has, including losing feeling in a foot and needing a brace just to walk on it. That's not something you can really just deal with as a coach, it's something that can permanently stop him from continuing.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 09:28 PM)
Rock just posted an article going into the severe back issues he has, including losing feeling in a foot and needing a brace just to walk on it. That's not something you can really just deal with as a coach, it's something that can permanently stop him from continuing.

Ah, must have missed that link. Yeah, I definitely understand that then. That's too bad.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 10:36 PM)
Where do you see that? If anything, sounds like he plans on keeping him on.

Groce held out for his top assistant to get what Howard is making to come as coach..............yes JH has 1 yr left on deal but why stay he is not wanted by Groce. I have seen this several places.

Groce also wants his top assistant to receive a salary on par with that of current Illinois interim coach Jerrance Howard, whose contract as an assistant runs through next season for $180,000 per year.

Per Tribune

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 10:52 PM)
So apparently Groce was the lead recruiter on Oden, Buford, Cook, and Conley? Can someone verify this? And obviously he brought DJ Cooper into Ohio.

I know he was for Oden and Conley. Not sure on the others. Groce is a known recruiter and while not the home run hire I was hoping for I am on board. He just has to sell Abrams on staying and the rest of the players will fall in line. Very interested to see the staff he puts together as it has to have someone from Chicago.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 04:05 AM)
Groce held out for his top assistant to get what Howard is making to come as coach..............yes JH has 1 yr left on deal but why stay he is not wanted by Groce. I have seen this several places.

Groce also wants his top assistant to receive a salary on par with that of current Illinois interim coach Jerrance Howard, whose contract as an assistant runs through next season for $180,000 per year.

Per Tribune

The salary thing makes it sound like Howard is staying to me. He better be.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 10:36 PM)

I don't think he can keep him. Keeping an assistant that some wanted to be the head coach can only undermine his authority. It wouldn't likely be a good idea, unless they know each other and have some kind of professional relationship (coaches clinics, conventions, etc).

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 11:36 PM)

Illinois is not going too pay 2 assistant coaches $180,000 each for very long.................not going to happen odd man out JH!

This should make Illinois fans feel better...from ohiostatealumni.org website

Q: Did the chance to be in a recruiting position at Butler help you make your decision to leave N.C. State easier?

A: Well, when you have a goal to be a head coach, and it would have to be the right situation because what we have at Ohio State is so special. But I knew, looking forward at my career, that when I left N.C. State I’d be gaining some valuable experience in recruiting. That and the fact that I really knew Thad very well, helped spark my interest.

Q: What did you learn about recruiting in that first job?

A: Recruiting is something you do every day. Some people think, “Is this a recruiting time of year?” But it really is 365 days a year. It’s something you need to wake up thinking about every day. The beauty of it is that each situation in recruiting is different. It involves reading people, connecting with people. The thing I like about Thad and Ohio State when it comes to recruiting, is that Thad works like an assistant coach when it comes to recruiting and I look at that as a positive thing. He is a grinder. He’ll do whatever he has to do from a recruiting standpoint. I’d like to say that all head coaches are like that, but they’re not. So it makes our job as a staff easier when you have a guy like Thad to sell. He is very genuine, people like him, he treats people well, he’s respectful, and people feel those things. Forget him being at Ohio State or being a good Xs and Os guy, he’s just a good person. So that makes my job easier.

Another thing is that when you are talking about the Ohio State University and how reputable this place is academically, how recognized it is worldwide. The tradition that the athletic programs have had here. That’s also a great thing to sell. Sometimes as recruiters you are only as good as your product. And we have a great product, we really do. We’re blessed in that way.

In addition to having a great product and how Thad is as a recruiter, I think another part is that you have to live it every day. It has to be a part of every day, because if you aren’t someone else is. It’s very, very competitive. I think people who follow it recognize that, but people who aren’t as familiar with it don’t understand how competitive recruiting is. The thing we do a good job of is finding kids who are a good fit for Ohio State and who can be successful here and be happy here. Kids that will do well playing for Thad. And I think people feel that. We feel that it’s such a great place and Thad is such a great guy to play for that we shouldn’t have to beg anyone to come. It’s our job to show them how we can help them achieve and attain their goals by using Ohio State as a vehicle. We have to paint that picture very vividly for them.

Q: How do you approach young people as you attempt to establish a relationship with them?

A: I think part of it just comes from my parents. My parents have always cared about other people. Thad is that way. His wife, my wife, they’re that way. That’s the environment we’re around and I think people feel that. I get excited when a kid like a Daequan Cook gets an opportunity to come to a place like Ohio State and continue to grow. I get excited even more when you get to work with them and see the progress they make. We have a plan for each kid. We hold them accountable to that plan to help them reach their goals. . . . A great compliment we received was from one of our players. He said a kid mentioned to one of our recruits that, “the coaches who recruited me are still the same guys who recruited me. They didn’t change.” In other words, we weren’t just giving him a recruiting spiel and then have him come here and be treated differently. And I think that’s important to us. We want to treat our guys right and have them have the best of everything. I think those guys feel that passion we have for their development.

Q: This year’s recruiting class has been called by some to be Ohio State’s best-ever recruiting class. How satisfying was it to be able to get this class together and into your program?

A: Well, you first have to credit the guys who have played here in our first two years here. The first year with all of the negativity surrounding the program, to put together 20 wins, to go .500 in the Big Ten, to beat Illinois, and to accomplish some of the things they accomplished, put us in position for these kids that we recruited in this class. We wanted them to see that this vision they’ve been talking to us about where they wanted to take Ohio State basketball, well, they could really see it happening. Without all that it would have been difficult to sign a class like the ’06 class.

You know, the ’06 class, the unique thing was three of them played together a lot in AAU. Michael (Conley), Greg (Oden), and Daequan (Cook) played together a lot. David (Lighty), from the AAU circuit knew those other three guys very well. All four of them come from winning backgrounds. We take great deal of pride in saying that the four of them, on the same day last year, were playing for the state championship in their respective divisions. That speaks volumes about those kids because we try to recruit kids who are winners. There’s an art to winning. Another thing is that all four kids are great teammates. They’ve already developed a pretty good sense of humility, a sense of work ethic where they understand that things aren’t just going to be given to you, you have to earn it. A lot of people make a big deal about how talented they are, and they are all very talented. But I think most importantly to us was the type of people we were getting. They were winners. They understand the value of doing academic work. To have those qualities in addition to the talent is what made that group so special.

And I will say that in three of the four cases, we were recruiting those guys prior to coming to Ohio State, and spent a lot of time developing relationships. Those four guys, the four freshman, we’ve known their people, the people they were close to, their coaches, back to when they were freshmen in high school. The great thing about the first day of practice this year was it was like four or five years in the works. Thad and I were sitting down last night and saying, “Can you actually believe we’re going to get to coach them in a game?” It’s been like a four- or five-year process. The fruits of our labor as a staff have paid off and we feel very fortunate to have a chance to coach them and watch them grow.

Q: As Ohio State’s recruiting coordinator you’ve received some positive press for your role in reeling this class in. Are you happy you are getting recognition for your efforts.

A: Well, I’m thankful for the recognition. But at the same time I’m not sure how fair it is at times because Thad has a big part in (recruiting success), Ohio State has a big part to do in it, our staff has a big part in it. I mean this is a major deal and a lot of people are involved with these kids, not just me. I appreciate the recognition but I hope people realize it’s a team effort, a collective effort that made it happen.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 10:44 PM)
Illinois is not going too pay 2 assistant coaches $180,000 each for very long.................not going to happen odd man out JH!

The main concern has to be that Groce and his Ohio University staff hasn't been in on the recruits that Illinois will now have to target for them to be successful in the B10.

Those relationships are forged in 8th-10th grade and continue all the way through high school, summer and AAU ball, camps, etc.

Who's going to be that "glue" that holds everything together in Chicago if it's not Jerrance Howard?