Reports: Illini hire John Groce

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 11:24 AM)
I saw they may hire the Simeon coach. Not sure if that would be good or bad. He has to have alot of enemies in the city.

Yeah, that could be bad because of his enemies. Also, some coaches could be jealous that he got the job, which could lead to them avoiding any dealing with Illinois.

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 11:24 AM)
I saw they may hire the Simeon coach. Not sure if that would be good or bad. He has to have alot of enemies in the city.

I don't think they're going to hire Smith. I'd like them to, but I just don't see it happening. If hiring him would mean Parker and Nunn to U of I (and he apparently has a good relationship with Okafor from WY) then you do it in a heartbeat. Maybe bad long term, but that would be something to worry about 5 years from now. I don't think they hire him though.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 11:28 AM)
Yeah, that could be bad because of his enemies. Also, some coaches could be jealous that he got the job, which could lead to them avoiding any dealing with Illinois.

So apparently he is looking at some FSU coach that is a Whitney Young grad with NBA experience? I couldnt grab the name. Thats a good sign.

Secondly, Groce really designs his offense around guard play. He was one of the guys who decided to give Evan Turner the ball as a PG and dictate the offense. This is VERY good for recruiting in the Chicago area.

Dj Richardson @djrich32

Me @BP3 and Coach Groce definitely gon have a good relationship......He also in love wit buffalo wings.....

I want to thank all of my teammates for holding together through this transition...... 2012-2013 season has already started

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 12:49 PM)
Dj Richardson @djrich32

Me @BP3 and Coach Groce definitely gon have a good relationship......He also in love wit buffalo wings.....

I want to thank all of my teammates for holding together through this transition...... 2012-2013 season has already started

Once he explains the drive and kick offense he is going to install im sure they will love him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 01:51 PM)
Leonard should, and likely will, go pro. Groce teaches a guard-oriented offense anyways.

That's fine, but you need all the talent and size you can get to compete. And I don't know that he SHOULD, but it seems like he most likely will go to the NBA.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 01:51 PM)
Leonard should, and likely will, go pro. Groce teaches a guard-oriented offense anyways.

Eh, its a 4 out 1 in offense. One big man like that makes them very dangerous. He wouldnt be out on the top of the key like that dumb motion offense.