Reports: Illini hire John Groce

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 06:55 PM)
Eh, its a 4 out 1 in offense. One big man like that makes them very dangerous. He wouldnt be out on the top of the key like that dumb motion offense.

But that's the thing, if Leonard comes back next year, wouldn't he want to try and show his extended range, etc? I think Leonard will kill it if he goes to the individual team workouts, etc. He'll be a top 10 pick this year, IMO.

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 01:58 PM)
But that's the thing, if Leonard comes back next year, wouldn't he want to try and show his extended range, etc? I think Leonard will kill it if he goes to the individual team workouts, etc. He'll be a top 10 pick this year, IMO.

I dont think he really has any extended range. I'm sure illinois fans would say he is working on it, but his jump shot is pretty ugly. He would basically be in the middle dunking the s*** out of the ball in this offense. He would also be rolling ALOT to the basket on ball screens.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 08:00 PM)
I dont think he really has any extended range. I'm sure illinois fans would say he is working on it, but his jump shot is pretty ugly. He would basically be in the middle dunking the s*** out of the ball in this offense. He would also be rolling ALOT to the basket on ball screens.

Leonard has a pretty damn good looking jumper. Anyways, not many people think he's returning, so it's probably not worth debating :)

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 06:56 PM)
So how do the Illini fans feel about the hiring of Travis Steeles step brother? You know, the same Travis Steele you blame for the Eric Gordon decommit and the sabatoge of your program? :lolhitting

What?

I don't think anyone blames him for how that played out. He's also not been hired. I don't want him though.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 02:01 PM)
Leonard has a pretty damn good looking jumper. Anyways, not many people think he's returning, so it's probably not worth debating :)

I disagree, plus he only shot about one per game this season, theres no much to go by. I think he holds the ball awkwardly and its over above his guide arm side. I'm sure he can develop a 15 foot and in shot, but his strength is back to the basket and hook shots.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 02:01 PM)

I would jump if I was him as well. There is no reason to showcase anything else for scouts, he's already a first rounder.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 02:06 PM)
Yeah, Weber will be advising Leonard. He's gone.

I wonder if Groce will take away Orris' scholi. He hasn't exactly molded into a Big Ten player from what I've read. Weber took a Self recruits scholi, so its not unprecedented.

No he didn't. Carter, Randle and McBride were the three signed recruits when Weber took over for Self. All three had scholarships and played for Illinois.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 08:14 PM)
No he didn't. Carter, Randle and McBride were the three signed recruits when Weber took over for Self. All three had scholarships and played for Illinois.

I was thinking of Palmer. I know he never signed. He may have committed under Weber anyways though, not sure.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 03:32 PM)
I was thinking of Palmer. I know he never signed. He may have committed under Weber anyways though, not sure.

Palmer committed to Weber and then stopped working on his game, got hurt (not seriously but it hurt his development), and didn't have great grades (although they were barely good enough to qualify) and Weber basically pulled his scholarship.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 03:26 PM)
Groce has already been recruiting Simeon's Kendrick Nunn (#18 on 2013 rankings). http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/colleges/p...-a-fan-of-groce

And ideas about an Illinois Fab Five. Hope people's expectations don't get out of hand.

He's got relationships at St Joe's and Young as well.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 03:26 PM)
Groce has already been recruiting Simeon's Kendrick Nunn (#18 on 2013 rankings). http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/colleges/p...-a-fan-of-groce

And ideas about an Illinois Fab Five. Hope people's expectations don't get out of hand.

I'm making a bunch of assumptions here but...

Assuming no attrition from the current roster except Leonard, and assuming Hill and James stay committed in the Class of '13, Illinois has 6 scholarships for '13 and '14 (Leonard, Head, DJ, Paul, Griffey, Bertrand). With Hill and James already in the fold, that leaves 4. In that scenario, I assume that Groce tries to take 4 in '13 and 2 in '14, leaving one ride free for Parker until the end.

In that scenario, how do you take Nunn? I always assumed that the committment of Hill meant that Nunn was going elsewhere? I could be wrong on this assumption, but that would be a lot of guards in one class (granted, the highly ranked early guys in '14 are bigs and you have a guard oriented offense now, but my point stands).

Still, good to hear the continued positive feedback about Groce. Seems to be a lot of excitement about his offense.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 09:52 PM)

Assuming no attrition from the current roster except Leonard, and assuming Hill and James stay committed in the Class of '13, Illinois has 6 scholarships for '13 and '14 (Leonard, Head, DJ, Paul, Griffey, Bertrand). With Hill and James already in the fold, that leaves 4. In that scenario, I assume that Groce tries to take 4 in '13 and 2 in '14, leaving one ride free for Parker until the end.

In that scenario, how do you take Nunn? I always assumed that the committment of Hill meant that Nunn was going elsewhere? I could be wrong on this assumption, but that would be a lot of guards in one class (granted, the highly ranked early guys in '14 are bigs and you have a guard oriented offense now, but my point stands).

Still, good to hear the continued positive feedback about Groce. Seems to be a lot of excitement about his offense.

There's almost definitely one transfer leaving it sounds like. Also, any scholarship projections should only have Parker listed as being in school for a year. I personally think Nunn is incredibly overrated, as he was terrible in any game I saw Simeon on TV this year. From all accounts, Hill is clearly the better prospect now.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 03:52 PM)

I thought Crandall Head left.

Been gone for a couple of days so I missed out on the Groce presser. Gotta say, after watching that and listening to him on the radio this morning, i'm impressed. He sounds like a high energy workaholic type guy. As others have already said, I don't think recruiting is going to be a problem.

Helps to read this type of stuff too:

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/colleges/p...-a-fan-of-groce

Parker/Nunn/Hamilton? Yes please.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 11:33 AM)
It doesn't sound like Parker is coming here

You've made about 138 seemingly definitive statements in this thread. Care to share a link or something once in a while? Where are you getting this stuff from?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 04:41 PM)
You've made about 138 seemingly definitive statements in this thread. Care to share a link or something once in a while? Where are you getting this stuff from?

You have a funny definition of a definitive statement. Anyways, they interviewed him on NBC. I didn't think he sounded too enthusiastic about Illinois and he was shaking his head when they started to ask him about it.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 01:05 PM)
You have a funny definition of a definitive statement. Anyways, they interviewed him on NBC. I didn't think he sounded too enthusiastic about Illinois and he was shaking his head when they started to ask him about it.

He's not going anywhere in the Big Ten. I would be extremely surprised if he didnt play for coach Cal.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 01:05 PM)

It's a long shot for sure, but I don't think it's a closed door. Nunn sounds really interested in Groce and they've got a relationship started there. He's got 5-8 months before Parker decides (if he really does decide this fall) and both Nunn and Parker have said they'd like to play together in college. Hamilton really wants to come to Illinois, so unless Groce just completely f***s that up he'll be in the mix too. Those three guys would be like the next Fab 5, to go along with a couple upperclass guys like Abrams.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 06:11 PM)
He's not going anywhere in the Big Ten. I would be extremely surprised if he didnt play for coach Cal.

His dad doesn't fly and wants to see every game according to the score. Illinois was also the leader until Weber got fired, apparently. I think he sticks somewhat close to home, though kentucky would be included in that. I doubt Illinois has much of a chance but I'm thinking there is 0 percent chance if Howard leaves. Like I said though, I doubt Groce is that dumb to let him go.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood