Reports: Illini hire John Groce

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 07:24 PM)
His dad doesn't fly and wants to see every game according to the score. I think he sticks somewhat close to home, though Kentucky would be included in that.

You have to wonder if Marquette would be an option for him and Nunn if Howard goes there (four schools I've seen rumored for Howard are Kansas, Kentucky, DePaul, Marquette).

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont really think those 3 guys would be the next fab 5, they are all good players but the Fab 5...

Fab Five were rated in the top 100 of high school prospects in 1991, and four were in the top ten. Chris Webber was ranked #1, Juwan Howard was ranked #3, Jalen Rose was ranked #6, Jimmy King was ranked #9, and Ray Jackson was ranked #84. All but Jackson participated in the McDonald's All-American Game in 1991

In comparison, of the 3 you mentioned, only 1 is in the top 10 (Parker.) Its not even as good as Kentucky's class this year (Kidd Gilchrist, Davis, Teague, Wiltjer) and no one is really comparing them to the Fab 5.

Either way, Groce should be competing with the OSU's, MSU's of the world, so its good news for Wisconsin, as most of those prospects werent going to be Badgers anyways.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 01:24 PM)
His dad doesn't fly and wants to see every game according to the score. Illinois was also the leader until Weber got fired, apparently. I think he sticks somewhat close to home, though Kentucky would be included in that.

f*** the score. NW, ILL, OSU and the rest of the Big Ten can forget about this kid. UK, UNC, and even KU have a better chance.

I am souring on one and dones anyway, so sick of all of that bulls***. Tony Parker just said the other day that he was wary of schools that were going to make his fat ass lose weight. Seriously kid?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 01:26 PM)
I dont really think those 3 guys would be the next fab 5, they are all good players but the Fab 5...

Fab Five were rated in the top 100 of high school prospects in 1991, and four were in the top ten. Chris Webber was ranked #1, Juwan Howard was ranked #3, Jalen Rose was ranked #6, Jimmy King was ranked #9, and Ray Jackson was ranked #84. All but Jackson participated in the McDonald's All-American Game in 1991

In comparison, of the 3 you mentioned, only 1 is in the top 10 (Parker.) Its not even as good as Kentucky's class this year (Kidd Gilchrist, Davis, Teague, Wiltjer) and no one is really comparing them to the Fab 5.

Either way, Groce should be competing with the OSU's, MSU's of the world, so its good news for Wisconsin, as most of those prospects werent going to be Badgers anyways.

And those 5 guys won absolutely nothing. To get a class like that you need to pay for it, and Michigan paid 10's of thousands.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 07:28 PM)
f*** the score. NW, ILL, OSU and the rest of the Big Ten can forget about this kid. UK, UNC, and even KU have a better chance.

I am souring on one and dones anyway, so sick of all of that bulls***. Tony Parker just said the other day that he was wary of schools that were going to make his fat ass lose weight. Seriously kid?

Tony Parker sure has gotten a lot of attention for someone who's not a top 25 prospect. I think he was Kansas bound prior to Danny Manning leaving, so he'll probably end up at UGa now cause of his mom.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 01:32 PM)
Two title game appearances during an era where every team was loaded with great juniors & seniors, unlike nowadays. I wouldn't call that nothing.

Vacated. Never happened.

And zero conference titles surprisingly although those would be vacated as well.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 01:33 PM)
Vacated. Never happened.

And zero conference titles surprisingly although those would be vacated as well.

Oh please, give me a break with that vacated bulls***. Plus, should an OSU fan really be talking s*** about vacated wins? (basketball or football)

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 01:48 PM)
Oh please, give me a break with that vacated bulls***. Plus, should an OSU fan really be talking s*** about vacated wins? (basketball or football)

Actually, I'm the perfect person because I dont claim the wins that we vacated including 1999's final four. Fact is, Michigan paid for their team, and they didnt deserve the wins. Even so, they had arguably the best freshman class in history and came up short both in the conference and in the tourney. They have nothing on their most hated rival, Duke, and even classes like Florida.

I'm actually fairly positive that there isnt one BCS fan on here whose school hasnt been hit with major sanctions is there?

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 04:23 PM)
Thomas has only found Mic Cronin on the basketball side. Two appearances in six years isn't exactly great, but who am I kidding I would love to have a coach like him now.

But you're in saying Groces pedigree is lacking. This guy doesn't have anywhere near the coaching track record Weber, Self, or Kruger did coming in. It's easy to see why we think we could get better. But since those coaches aren't coming a long, I'm all for a risky hire, someone that could hopefully restore some pride in the program and get some kids out of Chicago. Groce is both boring and doesn't have a good head coaching background. That's no good.

Kruger coached here at UT Pan American and people still speak about what a presence he had. How you just knew he was going to be successful. They hired him knowing he would be leaving quickly. Some guys just present in a way you know they can handle the job. Let's hope Groce is that kind of guy.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 02:07 PM)
Actually, I'm the perfect person because I dont claim the wins that we vacated including 1999's final four. Fact is, Michigan paid for their team, and they didnt deserve the wins. Even so, they had arguably the best freshman class in history and came up short both in the conference and in the tourney. They have nothing on their most hated rival, Duke, and even classes like Florida.

I'm actually fairly positive that there isnt one BCS fan on here whose school hasnt been hit with major sanctions is there?

At least you are consistent with your team as well. Personally, I choose to ignore the whole "vacated" wins thing, since it turns out the games actually happened. Plus, the NCAA is just horribly run and it's not a question of which schools cheat, it's a question of which schools get caught cheating.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 08:40 PM)
At least you are consistent with your team as well. Personally, I choose to ignore the whole "vacated" wins thing, since it turns out the games actually happened. Plus, the NCAA is just horribly run and it's not a question of which schools cheat, it's a question of which schools get caught cheating.

Which schools cheat?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 2, 2012 -> 10:40 PM)
Orris is keeping his commitment to Illinois after speaking to Groce.

Of course he is, wouldn't you if you won the lottery (ie: Bobby Frasor getting to play at UNC)? I bet the Illini fan base will be upset he's staying, as he pissed off a lot of fans with his e-mail to Weber about the team.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 2, 2012 -> 07:24 PM)
So that top-10/15 class of Richmond/Leonard/Head ended up with 122 games played, 38 games started, 37-29 record. Sigh.

Richmond should still be in college. Unfortunately, he had lots of stupid people in his ear.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 2, 2012 -> 10:41 PM)
Of course he is, wouldn't you if you won the lottery (ie: Bobby Frasor getting to play at UNC)? I bet the Illini fan base will be upset he's staying, as he pissed off a lot of fans with his e-mail to Weber about the team.

Feasor was an AA and started his freshmen season because destroying himself with injuries. Not really a comparison

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 2, 2012 -> 07:59 PM)
That doesn't mean he couldn't go to DePaul. Imagine what kind of re-birth Parker would give that place, which is still the sleeping giant among all college basketball teams.

Especially if they can get an arena in the city, like that article a few pages back mentioned. Obviously it wouldn't be around by the time Parker got there, but the two of them happening at roughly the same time would be a huge deal.