Reports: Illini hire John Groce

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 11:31 AM)
I was back strongly aboard the Mick Cronin bandwagon for about 8 minutes last night. I know he and Thomas supposedly don't get along any more, but Illinois could do worse.

I really think we're going mid-major, it's what Thomas does.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 02:11 PM)
Next name that came out today that is being targeted is Brad Stevens. Rumor has it he's interested in Illinois if it's close to the same deal Shaka got.

Also rumor Calipari is trying to get Jerrance away.

Stevens is my number one guy, and I would definitely offer him the same deal.

Hopefully Jerrance stays, could really help with bringing in a new coach and showing them the Chicago recruiting ins and outs.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 08:11 PM)
Next name that came out today that is being targeted is Brad Stevens. Rumor has it he's interested in Illinois if it's close to the same deal Shaka got.

It's old news and speculation because one of their assistants was going to leave. They tried getting him two years ago and failed.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 02:11 PM)

That was Bernstein's rumors and per usual, he says nothing concrete and new.

1) Of course Stevens will be interest with that money, but interested is far from likely to be the new coach.

2) Calipari has been trying to get Jerrance for years. But a lot of this depends on Jerrence's contract and what provisions are in there for him to be bought out. Considering he represents himself and does not have an agent, I wouldn't be surprised to see his contract being very hard to get out of.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 07:20 PM)
That was Bernstein's rumors and per usual, he says nothing concrete and new.

I'm glad someone notices this. How he ever became the #1 source for Illinois sports is beyond me. Even this, he conveniently picked it up an hour after Peegs reports a story and Twitter blows up.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 02:27 PM)
I'm glad someone notices this. How he ever became the #1 source for Illinois sports is beyond me. Even this, he conveniently picked it up an hour after Peegs reports a story and Twitter blows up.

Is their actually a person with consistent Illinois inside info? I bet it's a lot easier to be the go to guy for information when no one else is stepping up with consistent info.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 07:29 PM)
Is their actually a person with consistent Illinois inside info? I bet it's a lot easier to be the go to guy for information when no one else is stepping up with consistent info.

Klee is the best. He's not necessarily on the breaking side of things, but he's at practice every day, talking to all the players, coaches, admin, etc. If he says something, it's true.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 02:30 PM)
Give me a break guys, he has sources. Doesn't mean he'll always have something first, but those guys have people in places on all teams.

He was right about Sumlin using us for money, that's for sure.

Sure he has sources, but how attenuated they are from the team is another story. When Paul Klee says his sources say X, I listen. When Dan Bernstein says his sources say Y, I don't. That is not to discount Bernstein in other realms of sports, but when it comes to Illinois sports, I'll wait for other people to say stuff.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 02:36 PM)
Klee is the best. He's not necessarily on the breaking side of things, but he's at practice every day, talking to all the players, coaches, admin, etc. If he says something, it's true.

Look above. We must be on the same wavelength today.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 02:34 PM)
I love Stevens as a coach of course, but not sure he's the best fit for Illinois. Would he be able to recruit at all in the city, especially if Howard leaves? Also, I can't see Chicago preps jumping at the chance to play in a slow tempo offense.

I doubt he could get the big-time Chicago guys, but the two of the best Big 10 teams prove you don't need elite talent to win: Michigan State and Wisconsin. Ryan and Izzo are just terrific coaches who know how to develop talent and bring guys in who fits their system. That is what Illinois would have to be thinking along the lines of a Stevens whereas Shaka would have been a Matta/Crean who can recruit with the best of them.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 02:17 PM)
Oh god, let the 24-48 hours of constant twitter checking begin...

The downside of Twitter. Rumors galore, like during the whole LeBron debacle. I refuse to believe any Brad Stevens rumors until I hear him admit to them.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 02:38 PM)
I doubt he could get the big-time Chicago guys, but the two of the best Big 10 teams prove you don't need elite talent to win: Michigan State and Wisconsin. Ryan and Izzo are just terrific coaches who know how to develop talent and bring guys in who fits their system. That is what Illinois would have to be thinking along the lines of a Stevens whereas Shaka would have been a Matta/Crean who can recruit with the best of them.

You might wanna check MSU's yearly recruiting rankings. Izzo is a great coach, but he definitely brings in some top talent.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 08:41 PM)
You might wanna check MSU's yearly recruiting rankings. Izzo is a great coach, but he definitely brings in some top talent.

Yep, and with Wisconsin's ceiling basically being that of a Sweet 16 team, your goals should be higher when paying your coach as much as is being rumored.