Reports: Illini hire John Groce

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure you'd love to have had Groce talking to these kids since grade school, but kids are fickle. They love the new flavor of the month. You can't count on high school kids for s*** so you sure as hell might sweep them off their feet with a strong, late recruiting pitch. Let's get 'em Groce!

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 02:29 AM)
It is indeed sad that we have to call for the likes of Theus. However, if Illinois isn't a top 15 job, is ISU a top 115 job?

Not taking sides, but one was closer to the NCAA Tourney than the other this year. Much closer.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 08:09 AM)
jon greenberg ‏ @espnchijon

John Groce has one Ohio assistant with Chicago ties. Ramon Williams was an assistant at DePaul for four years.

DePaul? Is that a good thing? Ohio was a better basketball team than DePaul.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 09:21 PM)
Is Matta really going to retire that soon? He's not that old.

He was almost done mid year this year. He's in a ton of pain, couldnt even climb the ladder to cut down the nets without two guys holding him up. He is grooming Chris Jent to take over.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 03:54 PM)
I'm on board with Groce, love what I've read about him, let's get this s*** rolling.

2 more hours and this whole thing is finally over. Time to win the press conference.

Sounds like Jerrance Howard won't return, but still will have a good assistant staff in place. With that said, who knows how many defections there are if Jerrance leaves.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 10:17 AM)
He was almost done mid year this year. He's in a ton of pain, couldnt even climb the ladder to cut down the nets without two guys holding him up. He is grooming Chris Jent to take over.

Im sorry did you say something, Im still mesmerized by Kate Upton's bouncing gems.

I seriously stop reading whatever you write to stare at the gif for a minute, than go back to reading your post.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 10:57 AM)
Sounds like Jerrance Howard won't return, but still will have a good assistant staff in place. With that said, who knows how many defections there are if Jerrance leaves.

I'm hoping Thad is on the phone with him right now, especially if he loses an assistant to OU (likely). I'll take some more chicago inroads.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 11:08 AM)
This process just turned into a bigger disaster if Jerrance doesn't return, especially when he makes a killing when he goes to Kentucky

Have you seen some of the rumored assistants that the illini might be looking at? Dynamic recruiters with Chicago ties. It's obviously not certain yet, but neither is Jerrance leaving. Chill out man.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 11:08 AM)
This process just turned into a bigger disaster if Jerrance doesn't return, especially when he makes a killing when he goes to Kentucky

He's already paid as a top assistant, if Kentucky wants to pay him that much more than not much we can do.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 11:10 AM)
Have you seen some of the rumored assistants that the illini might be looking at? Dynamic recruiters with Chicago ties. It's obviously not certain yet, but neither is Jerrance leaving. Chill out man.

I saw they may hire the Simeon coach. Not sure if that would be good or bad. He has to have alot of enemies in the city.