Your "Walk Away" Number

hogan873

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/first-person...-224800280.html

How much money would you need right now to walk away from your job? Not necessarily to retire but to take a break, do something you want to do for a while. I think I would need at least $500,000 to feel comfortable. I could pay the bills and put a nice chunk away. But, in reality, I'd have to be finding another job pretty quickly. Maybe it would be something less stressful, something I'd really enjoy doing...

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Mar 9, 2012 -> 09:31 AM)
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/first-person...-224800280.html

How much money would you need right now to walk away from your job? Not necessarily to retire but to take a break, do something you want to do for a while. I think I would need at least $500,000 to feel comfortable. I could pay the bills and put a nice chunk away. But, in reality, I'd have to be finding another job pretty quickly. Maybe it would be something less stressful, something I'd really enjoy doing...

In this economy? It would have to be years worth of salary to do it voluntarily without having another job lined up.

I could get a job as a poker dealer making about $35K per year less than I make now, and my wife will be done with nursing school in 3 years and will then be more than making up for that difference, so it would only take about $100K for me.

This is a difficult question to answer because it depends on how you set up the rules. Assuming this money was given to me with no guarantee of future employment it would have to be enough for me to retire with. I would guess at least 1 million.

Enough for me to pay off all my current debt, get a bigger house and a newer car and then pay for all the usual monthly expenses for the next 40 or 50 years. Insurance, taxes, groceries, utilities, schooling for kids, etc…

If it was just enough to survive for one year the amount would be a lot lower. I guess my annual salary would be enough but I’d save a ton of money on gas, tolls and general car maintenance by not commuting to work everyday.

I’d still want to bump it up to pay off some of my debt and maybe take a vacation or two, so make it an even 200K I guess.

After the year is up, assuming all my debt is gone, I’d still have to find some sort of work to maintain our day-to-day expenses. I have no idea what though. Maybe I’d take a shot at joining the PBA tour.

I'd say about 200k tax free...or not worth it to me.

Or are we talking about walking away forever and not getting a new job? The above number is if I could walk away but go back to work for a different company. The only debt I have is my mortgage, but I'd need the 200k to sustain myself for a while...then go back to work in a year or so.

Otherwise it would take multiple millions...also tax free.

Edited by Y2HH

I am married. So, I will assume SHE is the one not working because if I get to "walk away" and she has to work, she's going to be royally pissed.

Here's my walk through of the thought process.

$140,000 to pay off debt (car, college, house). At this point, we could almost completely live off my salary.

$50,000 to invest into a company we want to start.

$240,000 ($2000/month for 10 years)

So, about $450,000 would get us covered for at least the next 10 years where we could live in the same life style as we do today.

After taxes, I make $2200 per month here in China.

But I don't have to pay anything for my apartment, no car payments/insurance, internet is free, no house payments/insurance, maybe $15-20 USD for cell phone...I actually end up saving about $1500 per month, on average.

If you gave me $50,000, I could happily live for a couple of years on the beach in Thailand, the Philippines, SW Cambodia (Sihanoukville), Nha Trang Vietnam, Penang, Malaysia, or 3 years on the beach in Myanmar.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 9, 2012 -> 09:55 AM)
I'd say about 200k tax free...or not worth it to me.

Or are we talking about walking away forever and not getting a new job? The above number is if I could walk away but go back to work for a different company. The only debt I have is my mortgage, but I'd need the 200k to sustain myself for a while...then go back to work in a year or so.

Otherwise it would take multiple millions...also tax free.

agreed. To not work again, its going to take a few million (and it damn well has to be tax free).

For a long time I've wanted to hire an 8 piece orchestra (similar to the one on Titanic) to follow me everywhere I go and play non-stop without any exceptions. If I'm on a plane, then I expect them to charter a flight and fly uncomfortably close to my plane, if I'm driving, then they should tail me bumper to bumper in another car. Sailing a ship, playing a pick-up game of basketball, swimming, mountain climbing, on a hunting expedition in Africa etc.- following and playing the entire time. If I can achieve that without denting my bottom line, that would be my sign.