3/10 Gamethread Sox vs Rangers/Dodgers

flavum

Ventura was proud of his bullpen and the fact that competition for the middle relief roles has started to intensify -- particularly among Dylan Axelrod (who allowed one run in three innings), Zach Stewart (two shutout innings), and left-handers Eric Stults (two shutout innings) and Hector Santiago.

"As we keep moving along, guys move ahead, guys kind of take themselves out of it, but it was pretty good," Ventura said. "We had a great pitching performance, including (Leyson) Septimo."

Link

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 10, 2012 -> 07:14 PM)

Are they really ready to make Stewart the long man out of the bullpen?

What's the point?

I don't mind if it's Santiago, because I think there will be enough games where Humber, Peavy and Sale (especially) come out early and he has to give them 2-3 innings, or in blowouts...and Axelrod or Castro would be fine for this role as well.

Having a 32 year old journeyman like Eric Stults make the roster as the 3rd lefty makes very little sense. Or Brian Bruney/Josh Kinney retread types.

Leyson Septimo, fine, whatever.

Hopefully all three roles at the end of the bullpen go to rookies we can develop at the major league level with Cooper.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 10, 2012 -> 07:44 PM)
Are they really ready to make Stewart the long man out of the bullpen?

What's the point?

I don't mind if it's Santiago, because I think there will be enough games where Humber, Peavy and Sale (especially) come out early and he has to give them 2-3 innings, or in blowouts...and Axelrod or Castro would be fine for this role as well.

Having a 32 year old journeyman like Eric Stults make the roster as the 3rd lefty makes very little sense. Or Brian Bruney/Josh Kinney retread types.

Leyson Septimo, fine, whatever.

Hopefully all three roles at the end of the bullpen go to rookies we can develop at the major league level with Cooper.

Whoever helps the team works for me. I don't care who it is.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 10, 2012 -> 10:12 PM)
Flowers 3 run HR . 5-5 top of the 6th. Beckham 2/3 batting.462 . Morel 2/3 batting.500 . Jordan Danks with a double . Viciedo 1/3. Humber gave up 2 in 3 innings 0 BB 3 K. Leesman gave up a run as did Marinez. Quintana now in to pitch.

That's a lot more encouraging.