Robin Ventura is DA MANager discussion

sunofgold

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 12, 2012 -> 02:16 PM)
Having the top of the lineup take a lot of pitches also helps wear the opposing starting pitcher out.

Honestly, there is no good reason to have A.J. in the two hole. There may not be a clear cut choice at this point, but clearly A.J. has none of the traits you'd like in a #2 hitter. I'd probably just start the season with Beckham as the #2 hitter.

Beckham in particular...needs to hit his way there, after his last 2 seasons.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 12, 2012 -> 11:49 AM)
That might be true back in the era when leadoff hitters were stealing all the time, but the Sox haven't had a leadoff hitter who could steal 50+ bases since August of 2005, and they're exceedignly rare around MLB. If nothing else, you put a guy with decent speed on first, even if he's not stealing, a slow ground ball to the right side is a "productive out".

AJ obviously isn't the ideal candidate there...but it's more because he's slow himself and he doesn't walk much so he's never on base. But the problem is...someoen else needs to earn that job. It can't just be given away to another guy who will wind up spending a month hitting .210.

Well, two things: a.) Pierre stole 68 bases back in 2010, and b.) DeAza, if healthy, definitely appears to be a candidate for 30+, perhaps even 40+ stolen bases. And so if we're going to sacrifice what DeAza might be able to produce with his bat lower down in the order in terms of run production for the sake of having someone who at least profiles as a typical lead-off hitter with the stolen base capability, then you have to give him a fighting chance to do so. And A.J. Pierzynski, batting in the number two slot, will least allow DeAza to maximize what he can offer in that capacity more than just anybody else on this team. I admit, we don't have any super options to turn to on this one, but most certainly, it isn't A.J.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 12, 2012 -> 03:10 PM)
But if it's between him and A.J., I'll take a chance on the guy who might be able to fill the role well rather than the guy we already know can't.

The problem with Beckahm is screwing up his brain again. It really is that simple.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Mar 12, 2012 -> 01:44 PM)
Well, two things: a.) Pierre stole 68 bases back in 2010, and b.) DeAza, if healthy, definitely appears to be a candidate for 30+, perhaps even 40+ stolen bases. And so if we're going to sacrifice what DeAza might be able to produce with his bat lower down in the order in terms of run production for the sake of having someone who at least profiles as a typical lead-off hitter with the stolen base capability, then you have to give him a fighting chance to do so. And A.J. Pierzynski, batting in the number two slot, will least allow DeAza to maximize what he can offer in that capacity more than just anybody else on this team. I admit, we don't have any super options to turn to on this one, but most certainly, it isn't A.J.

AJ does a couple of things well in the #2 spot. He makes contact, his strkeouts are pretty low and he can drive the ball to the right side. Both of these qualities are helpful when a player is trying to steal.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Mar 11, 2012 -> 09:38 PM)
Just spent 4 days in the land of the sun watching these guys. Was there every morning for the start of practice and I have to say, having been to 3 of Ozzie's ST, and this is only my opinion, but Robin and his crew are running a tighter ship. Hell, Mark Parent alone is a huge difference. That guy is freaking awesome and totally in charge. I've never seen the coaches giving so much one-on-one attention/advice to everyone one from PK on down. Watched Parent working with Flowers on his transfer this morning for a solid 20 minutes. And since today was a road game and most sox fans didn't come out for the practice, players were happy to chat up some fans. Konerko says he's excited and I quote "We're definitely going to surprise some people this season."

FWIW

*schwing*

• 2 weeks later...

With all the things manager is responsible for and isn't responsible for when it comes the outcome of games I only care about one thing. Team Record vs Pythagorean win-loss totals. Thats the only way IMO to actually say (or not say) hes is a good manager or a bad manager. Can he outperform his projected win total (based on RS and RA) with managerial tactics. Thats it. I dont care what he or media says, and I really dont care what he does game in and game out. I care about can he as the manager lead to more wins than statistically projected based on runs scored and runs allowed by his team.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Mar 25, 2012 -> 02:00 PM)
With all the things manager is responsible for and isn't responsible for when it comes the outcome of games I only care about one thing. Team Record vs Pythagorean win-loss totals. Thats the only way IMO to actually say (or not say) hes is a good manager or a bad manager. Can he outperform his projected win total (based on RS and RA) with managerial tactics. Thats it. I dont care what he or media says, and I really dont care what he does game in and game out. I care about can he as the manager lead to more wins than statistically projected based on runs scored and runs allowed by his team.

Did we underperform or overperform in 2011? That was some of the worst managing I've ever seen, and generally Ozzie's teams overperform.

I think that he is ALL IN. lol. Why not? Don't think he would have signed up if he wasn't up to it. Don't think KW would have pursued him if he didn't think that Ventura could do the job.

Like I said previously he is more like Manuel than Guillen. Thus, he might come across as not being passionate enough or not competitive enough...while he actually is.

It is like comparing the pitching demeanors of Carlos Zambrano against the demeanor of Cliff Lee. Both want to win and pitch well. But if you only look at their demeanors you would think that Zambrano was the more passionate and competitive one.

Edited by sunofgold

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 25, 2012 -> 05:29 PM)
I think there's a big difference between convincing yourself, with help, in October, that you can have your heart in something, and then staring at 6 months of criticism, hotel rooms, media, random firestorms, and losses to deal with.

I think he'll be fine with all of the above. He's a levelheaded guy who understands the manager is going to get blamed. To me, spring training is the worst part of the manager's job. Interviews, meeting sponsors, daily meetings on personnel, added to the fact teams are probably ready to break camp right now, but still have another 10 days to go. Undoubtedly every manager thinks this time in spring training is a pain.

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 26, 2012 -> 10:22 AM)
I think he'll be fine with all of the above. He's a levelheaded guy who understands the manager is going to get blamed. To me, spring training is the worst part of the manager's job. Interviews, meeting sponsors, daily meetings on personnel, added to the fact teams are probably ready to break camp right now, but still have another 10 days to go. Undoubtedly every manager thinks this time in spring training is a pain.

I think there's a difference between understanding what will happen to a manager and actually having built oneself up to having to go through it. But we'll see.

Another issue I wann bring up that needs to be adressed is something Hawk alluded to the other day:

Keeping your foot on the throat of your opponent.

This happens in two ways the Sox seem to have kept doing the last few years:

1.) Scoring early in the game, then easing up and letting the other team slowly get back into it. This can result in a win or a loss and actually both are not ideal results. For an example of a win that hurt see opening day 2011. Ozzie pulling players on opening freakin day?! The Indians get back in the game, but still lose. Teams goes in opposite direction for the next 2 months.

2.) Not being able to sweep a series. Winning the first two games of a series and taking it easy on the final game. Either by resting a lot of starters and playing the bench or just playing corpseball for whatever reason (next day is a travel day, looking forward to te next series etc.) Winning the last game of a series is something I think is essential to building a winning atmosphere. Winning series' is great, but there is nothing more frustrating than a W-W-L series win. W-L-W, L-W-W are both preferable. (As would W-W-W but it can't happen every series) Hell even losing 2 of 3 and winning that last game somehow feels better to me haha..

Ventura appears to have run a fine Spring Training. Clearly not the toughest test in the world, but there are a lot of players to juggle and the energy level appears to have been appropriate. No significant injuries and most players have at least shown flashes of what we expect out of them. So far, so good on Ventura, for what it's worth (not very much).

Good luck Robin Ventura. Have a Good Friday.

I just read an article that Ventura won't reveal our closer. I guessing then we are going by closer by committee. I guess a manager doesn't have to announce it. Is this a strategic move OR....he "just doesn't know yet"...still open competition between Thorton, Reed, and Crain?

Maybe closer by committee then for now. Our four headed closer monster! Ventura should just announce that they are going with closer by committee or undecided at this time. Maybe my first critical comment of DA MANager. Otherwise, he is doing a fine job so far.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 12:39 PM)
Maybe closer by committee then for now. Our four headed closer monster! Ventura should just announce that they are going with closer by committee or undecided at this time. Maybe my first critical comment of DA MANager. Otherwise, he is doing a fine job so far.

Santiago is the closer and he knows he is.

Yeah Santiago as closer is a bad idea. If Robin knows what we all know, that's it's gonna be a development year, why not put Reed in there if you're gonna go with a rookie to close? Reed is the closer of the future and I think has better stuff and a better mindset to be a closer than Santiago.

I dig Santiago, but I could see him more as a set up guy or really even a 5th starter candidate going forward.