Robin Ventura is DA MANager discussion

sunofgold

QUOTE (Cali @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 03:57 PM)
Yeah Santiago as closer is a bad idea. If Robin knows what we all know, that's it's gonna be a development year, why not put Reed in there if you're gonna go with a rookie to close? Reed is the closer of the future and I think has better stuff and a better mindset to be a closer than Santiago.

I dig Santiago, but I could see him more as a set up guy or really even a 5th starter candidate going forward.

Don't disagree, but the Sox love this kind of risk.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 02:50 PM)
Santiago is the closer and he knows he is.

C'mon Robin. Just say it then. What is the reasoning of keeping it a secret? Not a good first day for Ventura but I still believe in him. I didn't like many of the moves today. But the worst moves were not naming the closer and having Morel in the second spot. The other moves that I didn't like you could make arguments that it was the right or an acceptable move.

Now Morel can be moved back down to the lower portion of the lineup...like 8th. Viciedo should be batting higher up. And name the closer. Fixable right? haha!

Edited by sunofgold

My view is the bullpen sets up best with two right-handed 7th-8th inning guys such as Crain and Reed. If Santiago can't close the next option might be Reed if Jones shows enough to move up to that 7th-8th inning guy. If not, Thornton closes, Santiago takes Thornton's spot and Reed remains as 7th-8th inning guy. A lot of moving parts.

Well, doesn't Santiago have a chance to be a starter? Maybe even next year? Reed has potential to be a closer or you could try Thornton one more time. He did have some bad defense behind him early last year. Personally, I wouldn't mind closer by committee until somebody proves that he is the ONE!

Santiago's definitely one of the top 3 candidates for the rotation next year.

We have to replace Peavy and Floyd.

Theoretically, at this point:

1) Molina (based on projections)

2) Santiago

3) Stewart OR Axelrod (whichever remains a starter)

4) Simon Castro

5) Doyle

6) Shirek

7) darkhorse candidate who emerges from A ball, probably Petricka or Jefferson Olacio

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 04:20 PM)
Billy Wagner says hello.

But yeah, there haven't been so many of them. John Franco, Jesse Orosco, Tug McGraw, Sparky Lyle, former Sox pitcher Wilbur Wood, BJ Ryan, Brian Fuentes, etc.

Santiago's screwball sets him apart. He can dominate righty hitters if it's on.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 04:36 PM)
Santiago's definitely one of the top 3 candidates for the rotation next year.

We have to replace Peavy and Floyd.

Theoretically, at this point:

1) Molina (based on projections)

2) Santiago

3) Stewart OR Axelrod (whichever remains a starter)

4) Simon Castro

5) Doyle

6) Shirek

7) darkhorse candidate who emerges from A ball, probably Petricka or Jefferson Olacio

Floyd doesn't need to be replaced unless he's traded. He has a 2013 option.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 09:10 PM)
Seriously doubt Kenny will go into next season with Floyd's status up in the air.

I'm not sure what you mean. It's a team option. What's up in the air? If he pitches remotely similar to how he has in the past, Kenny will be picking up his option without a second thought.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 10:17 PM)
I'm not sure what you mean. It's a team option. What's up in the air? If he pitches remotely similar to how he has in the past, Kenny will be picking up his option without a second thought.

"Up in the air" = on effectively a 1 year deal.

He had 2 guys on that plan last offseason he needed to deal with...Danks and Quentin. He dealt with both in the offseason.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 11:32 PM)
I think Ventura is going to have a different closer for each game. Depending on the situation. That is the best that I could get out of interviews and news articles. Closer by committee is fine by me. Give them all chances and see what happens.

I don't like it. Name someone and be done with it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 01:51 PM)
I don't like it. Name someone and be done with it.

Couldn't agree more. Ideally, it would be Addison Reed. The Sox need a closer. He's the best closer prospect in baseball. I guess it just makes far too much sense to actually name him the closer.

Cooper says he wants a closer and doesn't want 'closer by committee'. Ventura won't name a closer and won't say whether or not he is going with 'closer by committee'.

To me, it seems like Ventura and Cooper aren't seeing eye-to-eye. This could be bad news if this is the case. They need to talk it out, be on the same page, and tell the same thing to the media.

Cooper doesn't know what is going on. The relievers don't know what is going on. White Sox fans don't know what is going on.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 11:15 PM)
"Up in the air" = on effectively a 1 year deal.

He had 2 guys on that plan last offseason he needed to deal with...Danks and Quentin. He dealt with both in the offseason.

Danks and Quentin both were set to make a lot more than the Sox were willing to spend in arbitration, Floyd has a predetermined option. Not the same thing. KW also had players like Konerko and Buehrle that played their deals out and then the Sox decided what they wanted to do with them.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 06:18 PM)
Cooper says he wants a closer and doesn't want 'closer by committee'. Ventura won't name a closer and won't say whether or not he is going with 'closer by committee'.

To me, it seems like Ventura and Cooper aren't seeing eye-to-eye. This could be bad news if this is the case. They need to talk it out, be on the same page, and tell the same thing to the media.

Cooper doesn't know what is going on. The relievers don't know what is going on. White Sox fans don't know what is going on.

Just because Robin didn't name a closer publicly, doesn't mean the players don't know who it is.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 07:18 PM)
Danks and Quentin both were set to make a lot more than the Sox were willing to spend in arbitration, Floyd has a predetermined option. Not the same thing. KW also had players like Konerko and Buehrle that played their deals out and then the Sox decided what they wanted to do with them.

What do you mean by "Floyd had a predetermined option"? I'm just assuming that gets picked up unless he destroys his arm, and that means he'll be on a 1 year deal for 2013. I can't see KW letting him be on a 1 year deal, that's not a good strategy, so he's in the D1 "Trade him or extend him next offseason" mode.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 06:38 PM)
What do you mean by "Floyd had a predetermined option"? I'm just assuming that gets picked up unless he destroys his arm, and that means he'll be on a 1 year deal for 2013. I can't see KW letting him be on a 1 year deal, that's not a good strategy, so he's in the D1 "Trade him or extend him next offseason" mode.

What I mean is KW already knows what he is going to spend to pick up the option, whereas Danks and Quentin were going to be a lot pricier and he didn't want to deal with that.

Having Floyd on a 1 year deal isn't this horrible situation you are painting it as. He has done it many times and it has worked out. Garland, Buehrle, Contreras, and now Danks all went into a season with one year left and all signed deals that worked well for both sides. And just last offseason he extended Santos and dealt him, it isn't the end of the world.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 07:43 PM)
What I mean is KW already knows what he is going to spend to pick up the option, whereas Danks and Quentin were going to be a lot pricier and he didn't want to deal with that.

Having Floyd on a 1 year deal isn't this horrible situation you are painting it as. He has done it many times and it has worked out. Garland, Buehrle, Contreras, and now Danks all went into a season with one year left and all signed deals that worked well for both sides. And just last offseason he extended Santos and dealt him, it isn't the end of the world.

Having Floyd on a 1 year deal isn't a bad thing if you're going "All in" next year. If we spend another $25 million next offseason to get the payroll back up and fill whatever holes we decide we have after this year, then fine, gambling with Floyd walking after a 1 year deal is OK.

If we're focused on "rebuilding"....which we darn well should be, then Floyd can't go into next year with the possibility that he'll walk and the Sox get virtually nothing for him. Either you have to trade him or you have to extend him...he's an asset, and you can't allow an asset to walk away with nothing for the future found in return.