South Region

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 17, 2012 -> 09:23 PM)
That second half was awful bball

I'd call it very tough bball...and very strategically tough. Indiana was the better team there...but they weren't prepared for the VCU Press and it legitimately tired them out.

Lotta turnovers, but most of them happened for a reason

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 17, 2012 -> 09:26 PM)
Iowa St. tied it up, and then played as bad as you can for a minute to give Kentucky a 6 point lead again.

In a normal year, I'd be cheering for Iowa State, because I'd want the 8 seed going against my team.

That said...with where IU was, I'm already completely content with this season...and frankly, I want the rematch.

Crean's gone through some very tough rebuilding years and lots of unfortunate injuries.

Never really liked the guy, but he deserves his success, if for no other reason than to stop the Shaka Smart bandwagon.

That KY team is so loaded, if Indiana beats them again, it's the equivalent of KU beating Oklahoma in the NCAA Championship game.

95 times out of 100, Kentucky wins on a neutral court, especially without Verdell Jones.

This year, the coach who is expected to win more than any other has to be Calipari, especially with Fab Melo out and Henson hurting for UNC.

I'm going to laugh if New Mexico goes into the Sweet 16 and Illinois hires Alford.

Few, Stevens, Smart, A. Grant, Buzz Williams, Frank Martin and Drew seem to be the current favorites.

Brad Heslip show, 18 points on 6 three-pointers in the first half. Almost at a career high. Perry Jones is doing his disappearing act again, how he can be a lottery pick, not sure. Potential.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 17, 2012 -> 08:28 PM)
In a normal year, I'd be cheering for Iowa State, because I'd want the 8 seed going against my team.

That said...with where IU was, I'm already completely content with this season...and frankly, I want the rematch.

Um ok...rather give my team best chance to advance

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 17, 2012 -> 09:59 PM)
Um ok...rather give my team best chance to advance

lol, no s***.

In the Sweet 16 and youre content? Screw that, your team has a chance to make a Final Four run and you would rather have a rematch against the best team in the land??

Heslip 9/13 in 3's.

9th player in tourney history to hit 9 of them.

The record is 11 in one game, some Fryer guy that played for Loyola Marymount around the Gathers/Kimble/Westhead era.

22 3's in his last 4 games, 5 against SD State.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 18, 2012 -> 02:59 AM)
Heslip 9/13 in 3's.

9th player in tourney history to hit 9 of them.

The record is 11 in one game, some Fryer guy that played for Loyola Marymount around the Gathers/Kimble/Westhead era.

That's one of the most memorable games in NCAA Tourney history.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 17, 2012 -> 09:58 PM)
lol, no s***.

In the Sweet 16 and youre content? Screw that, your team has a chance to make a Final Four run and you would rather have a rematch against the best team in the land??

Yeah, I would have rather played Iowa St.

Interestingly, if IU is able to win against Kentucky, the Hoosiers will have 28 wins on the season...as many wins as IU had in all of Crean's first three seasons.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 17, 2012 -> 08:26 PM)
Iowa St. tied it up, and then played as bad as you can for a minute to give Kentucky a 6 point lead again.

We never hit 3's. 3 for 22 obviously isn't gonna do it.

Proud of our effort though. This season ended much better than I thought it would after the start. We gave Kentucky our best shot for about 25 minutes but couldn't take the lead. Hoiberg proved he could coach this year. (Him getting a T is about the craziest thing ever)

We have a chance to be really good with Royce coming back for one more year. If not, it's a question mark. But if he goes pro I'm glad the nation got to see a little bit of him. He's a crazy special player that the city of Ames fell in love with, and not just because of what he does on the court.

Can't wait for next season.

What an incredible year for Crean and the Hoosiers. I hope like hell we can beat UK again, but that's a huge, huge order.

Looking at it though, we are a year ahead of schedule. Next year should be one of the best years since the early 1990's. SOOOO much talent returning and coming in.

Have tickets and hotel room ready to go in Atlanta!! Watched the IU-UK game from Dec again today and it gave me some hope. I still think this will be a very tall order, but our guys won't back down and won't be intimidated. Kentucky has so many weapons that if they all play well we won't have much of a chance. Then again, I think that applies to most teams playing UK this year.

A few tidbits from the first game:

1. UK was down 1 at halftime. They shot 68% in the 2nd half and still lost.

2. IU got hot and his 7 threes in the 2nd half, most coming from Watford and Sheehey.

3. Terrence Jones was non-existent, so much that Vitale blasted him repeatedly in the 2nd half.

4. Anthony Davis got into foul trouble which made life much easier.

5. Despite Davis' foul trouble, IU did not do a very good job of getting the ball into Zeller.

6. Verdell Jones III played a lot. Derek Elston, Matt Roth and Remy Abell, all who are playing regular minutes now, did not play at all. Daniel Moore played a handful of minutes but rarely plays now.

7. Both teams had turnovers - IU 18; UK 17. Both teams attempted 17 FT's.

8. IU had no answer for Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. None

9. Marquis Teague was terrible in the first half, their best player in the 2nd half after not starting.

10. I tried to get to 10, but that's all I got.

IU can win if UK doesn't hit 3's at a high percentage. They will get good looks. Lamb and Teague could hurt IU's chances badly with a good shooting night. Oladipo has to play under control, yet be aggressive. If we go at them hard early we can pick up some fouls. IU needs a full 40 minutes from Watford. Lately he has a tendency to get most of his points in a short period and somewhat disappear in other parts of the game. Foul trouble for Zeller or Hulls would likely end IU's chances.

The only thing that could have made me happier than a win Friday night is if Vandy had not beaten them in the SEC Tournament Final. Knocking UK out of the NCAA Tournament would taste very sweet. It would be sweeter if we put their only two losses of the year on them. That said, let's hope IU doesn't get beat by 20.

Go Hoosiers!!

Edited by Rex Hudler