South Region

Fathom,

VCU beat a mid-major today. What exactly did Shaka do? He ran full court press? So did the Shockers. I didnt see any intriguing offensive sets, defense wanst anything new/unusual/spectacular. I dont know, if Im Illinois Id prefer Buzz Williams (Marquette) to Shaka. First hes run a much bigger program, second hes gotten them a top 5 seed, third hes shown he can take over a team who loses a coach.

Shaka is just way more unknown. Maybe if they play Indiana next game, Ill see something drastic. But if he gets out coached by Tom Crean, I wouldnt hire him.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 08:35 PM)
Fathom,

VCU beat a mid-major today. What exactly did Shaka do? He ran full court press? So did the Shockers. I didnt see any intriguing offensive sets, defense wanst anything new/unusual/spectacular. I dont know, if Im Illinois Id prefer Buzz Williams (Marquette) to Shaka. First hes run a much bigger program, second hes gotten them a top 5 seed, third hes shown he can take over a team who loses a coach.

Shaka is just way more unknown. Maybe if they play Indiana next game, Ill see something drastic. But if he gets out coached by Tom Crean, I wouldnt hire him.

Laughs out loud.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 16, 2012 -> 01:41 AM)
Wow

With regards to who should be targeted for an open position like Illinois, no doubt in my mind you go after Shaka. Buzz has an insane buyout in his contract, and the best players in the Marquette program over the past few years have been Jucos.

If you are serious about having Illinois be a top program, you cant care about a $3.8mil buy out.

Buzz Williams is a good recruiter, at Illinois he could be a killer recruiter. The guy already is getting guys from across the nation, including 4 star Chicago recruit Steve Taylor.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 08:48 PM)
Not sure why Buzz would go from Marquette to Illinois. They capable of that much of a raise?

Why go from an NCAA tourney program to Illinois unless it's a big raise.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 09:50 PM)
Marquette is not a great job, Buzz was rumored to be a target for Oklahoma last year (I believe Weber was rumored about that). Id bet that Buzz would leave Marquette to be at Illinois, hed be a fool not to.

I can think of worse things than hiring Marquettes coach.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 08:49 PM)
Why go from an NCAA tourney program to Illinois unless it's a big raise.

That was exactly my point.

As for actual games going on, people who picked UConn and are dismissing Iowa State against Kentucky in the next round just don't know how good Royce White is. I didn't pick the Clones to beat UK, but it's going to be a better game than people think. White is up there with Draymond Green as one of the toughest match ups in the country.

The same reason Crean left Marquette for Indiana.

Marquette is a million times harder. Look at the recruits Crean has been getting at Indiana. He never got that at Marquette. I think Buzz has actually outrecruited Crean, so if you gave him a real program, he could be really tough.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 07:28 PM)
8-10

So I gave NM State too much credit. I'll take 13!

79-66 in a breeze. So much for not being able to play outside of Assembly Hall with our refs. Before anyone thinks I am annointing IU a Final Four team, take a breath. that's not the point. The point is this team has weapons and is worthy of a 4 seed and can play with anyone. They can also lose to anyone in the tourney, but they aren't the easy out IU seemed to be in the final years of the Bobby Knight days.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 11:09 PM)
If there was ever a game where a 15+ lead could be blown in under 11 minutes its going to be this UNLV- Colorado game. Colorado looks terrible and tired.

They're only winning because someone referred to UNLV as a "lock" earlier in this thread. Jinx worked.

A couple of my favorite pre-game quotes from New Mexico State star Wendell McKines...

When compared to Michigan State's Draymond Green (which should be a high compliment):

“From a rebounding and scoring and from it means a lot to the team perspective, yeah,” he told reporters at Wednesday’s media availability at the Rose Garden. “But I don’t really like to compare myself to nobody. I’m special.”

If that wasn't enough, his follow up quote:

“I don’t have a swagger, I have an aura about me, you can just feel the energy,” McKines said. “Just the aura in my presence, and you can feel like something special is about to happen.”

Sorry about your aura buddy. It was especially fun to see the frustration of McKines and other Aggies arguing with each other on the court.

On to VCU!

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 10:09 PM)
If there was ever a game where a 15+ lead could be blown in under 11 minutes its going to be this UNLV- Colorado game. Colorado looks terrible and tired.

No crystal ball necessary, but damn good call! Here come the Rebels.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 10:26 PM)
Down to 5, someone might get bailed out!

As often happens with big comebacks, it appears UNLV has run out of gas before they could make it all the way past and finish it. Think the Buffaloes will be gassed Saturday? They better hope for the late game!!