Curveballs aren't more dangerous to young pitchers?

caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 11, 2012 -> 10:27 PM)
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/12/sports/b...ng-arms.html?hp

This was always the prevailing wisdom when I was growing up and then coaching LL in the 80's and 90's.

Not too many sliders or curveballs should be allowed.

The article is correct that a properly thrown curveball or slider does not put statistically signficantly more stress on the arm than a fastball. The problems is 1) statistically significant and clinically significant can be 2 very different things and 2) most breaking pitches aren't thrown biomechanically correct by many major leaguers let alone little leaguers. The kids just do not have the motor control to reporduce proper mechanics. I've read all of the studies mentioned and the ones by Andrews and Fleisig are the best designed and conducted. Reporteing on frequency alone in a retrospective study is not good methodology.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 14, 2012 -> 09:36 PM)
THE COLONEL

I've heard of him, if memory serves me correctly, he pitched in the 80's?

Mostly early 90s with the A's and Marlins. Did pitch some on the 87 Twins and got a World Series watch. I guess back then they didnt give everyone and their mother rings and the team voted to give him a watch instead.