Angels vs. White Sox @ Camelback

BigEdWalsh

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Mar 14, 2012 -> 06:03 PM)
It appears that, when it comes to throwing balls vs. strikes, Nestor Molina is an equal opportunity pitcher.

I think this is a bit ridiculous to say at this point. I expect him to find his control before he is sent to the minors.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 12:08 AM)
Molina gets the double play ball with the split finger pitch.

No, he's not a closer. Nice to see him at least not crumbling this time. For how good his control was in the minors last year, it has sure been spotty in big league camp.

Rios failed with RISP again, although the runner should have been going on the contact play and scored from 3rd.

Escobar killing Martinez in the infield utility spot competition. One of the few bright spots, so far.

Molina throwing a slider-esque version of the split finger, according to Melton. A pitch "he's never seen before in his life." Haha.

Thornton looked good. Sale recovered from the homer.

Perhaps most importantly, Dunn is showing signs of being a totally different player this spring.

There was more than the Pujols homer. More like 7 runs. He needs to step it up if he is going to be the starter. Regardless of ST or not. A number of our pitchers need to step it up I think.

Chris Sale gave up all 7 runs?

I only caught bits and pieces of it.

Would be shocked that Ventura left him in long enough to surrender that many in 3+ innings.

EDIT: Looks like he actually gave up 5, Carter the other 2.

ERA at 9.82. On the other hand, just glancing at another box, Strasburg is at 7.45 and Teheran at 11.

Obviously, if these problems continue the final two weeks of ST, it won't be encouraging. But there's never a surer maxim than you can't trust what happens in that desert air, and the cold weather in April/May in Chicago will give a huge advantage to our pitchers.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Mar 14, 2012 -> 05:40 PM)
There was more than the Pujols homer. More like 7 runs. He needs to step it up if he is going to be the starter. Regardless of ST or not. A number of our pitchers need to step it up I think.

LOL Sale gave up 5 in 4+ innings. He's been used as a reliever for the last two years. The kid needs to be stretched out. Give him an effing break. He's the starter I'm LEAST worried about.

ridiculous.

Take away the monster homer Pujols hit and I actually thought Sale looked pretty good. Molina has been good aside from one game when he imploded in his second inning of work. I was nervous today when he came out for a second inning. Thornton and Ohman did well today. Adam Dunn is looking just fine, hope he keeps it up. I'm liking Escobar and Gimenez. Escobar has looked solid in the field and surprisingly good at the plate. Gimenez has looked like a stud defensively.

Leading to the obvious question, is Tyler Flowers better off being on a major league bench or continuing to hit and play everyday in Charlotte?

Is he still legitimately viewed as the starting catcher for Opening Day, 2013?

Can the White Sox afford to carry a "defense first" catcher on their bench?

With the likes of Fukudome and Lillibridge, that would seem to afford them a bit more flexibility to go with a defensive player, but then if you include Escobar as well, you've got 2 very light-hitting bench options.

At AJ's age though, he's going to have to scale back his playing time more than ever before.

Keep in mind, Gimenez has ONE major league hit in his career, and hadn't played for five years in the big leagues, prior to 2011. He's going to be 30 years old this year. At least he can communicate with Molina, another native Venezuelan.

In other words, he's not even Corky Miller.

Chicago White Sox – No. 70

Catcher

Born: September 28, 1982 (1982-09-28) (age 29)

Bats: Switch Throws: Right

MLB debut

September 25, 2006 for the Houston Astros

Career statistics

(through 2011 season)

Batting average .143

Hits 1

Héctor Eliner Giménez [Ec-tor he-MEH-nes] (born September 28, 1982 in San Felipe, Venezuela) is a Venezuelan professional baseball catcher for the Chicago White Sox organization. He has previously played for the Houston Astros and Los Angeles Dodgers of Major League Baseball.

[edit] Professional career[edit] Houston Astros Giménez was signed by the Houston Astros as an amateur free agent in 1999. He spent two years in the Venezuelan Summer League before joining the Astros U.S. based minor league system. At one point, Giménez was ranked the best defensive catcher in the Houston Astros system, according to Baseball America. In 2005, he led the Corpus Christi Hooks with 58 RBI and earned Texas League All-Star honors. He hit .273 (75-for-275) with eight home runs and 37 RBI in 76 games for the Round Rock Express in his first season at the Triple-A level in 2006.

He made his major league debut with the Astros on September 25, 2006 striking out as a pinch hitter against the Philadelphia Phillies. He made one other major league appearance, also as a pinch hitter, against the Pittsburgh Pirates on September 27 and groundout to the shortstop.

On February 26, 2007, Giménez decided to have surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff and as a result, missed the entire 2007 season.

[edit] Tampa Bay Rays

Gimenez in 2007On November 27, 2007, he signed a minor league contract with the Tampa Bay Rays that included an invitation to spring training. He split the season between the A+ Vero Beach Devil Rays and the AAA Durham Bulls and then became a free agent at the end of the season.

[edit] Pittsburgh PiratesHe signed a minor league contract with the Pittsburgh Pirates in January 2009 and split the season between the AA Altoona Curve and AAA Indianapolis Indians. In 2010 he was with Altoona for the whole season and hit .305 in 94 games with 16 home runs, his highest total in any of his professional seasons.

[edit] Los Angeles DodgersHe signed a minor league contract with the Los Angeles Dodgers in November 2010 but on November 19 he was purchased by the Dodgers and added to their 40-man roster. He appeared as a pinch hitter for the Dodgers on April 1, 2011, his first appearance in the Majors since 2006 with the Astros. He made his first career start the following day against the San Francisco Giants, and also recorded his first Major League hit, a single to left field in the seventh inning off Javier López. After appearing in four games, he was placed on the disabled list on April 10 and underwent arthroscopic knee surgery.[1] He was activated off the DL on June 10 and outrighted to the AA Chattanooga Lookouts. He appeared in 66 games with the Lookouts, hitting .286 with 11 home runs and 54 RBI.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 14, 2012 -> 03:17 PM)
I actually thought Molina looked real solid. Got in to some trouble in the 9th, but dialed up a double play and no damage was done. I was pleased with that movement on his splitter and whatever hell that Ephesus-esque pitch was that confused everyone.

Excellent ephus reference!

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Mar 14, 2012 -> 10:03 PM)
It is also still a city in modern Turkey as well.

actually it has always been a city in Turkey.

it is one of the cities mentioned in Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors, which HE stole from a greek playwright. The More You Know.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 12:05 AM)
actually it has always been a city in Turkey.

it is one of the cities mentioned in Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors, which HE stole from a greek playwright. The More You Know.

One of the locations for the Ancient Seven Wonders as well (Temple of Artemis at Ephesus)

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 08:49 AM)
The book of Ephesians was written about those folks from the province of Epitaph although I could be wrong. As for its locale I can only assume somewhere near the Holy Land.

you sure about that?

Epitaph--

1: an inscription on or at a tomb or a grave in memory of the one buried there

2: a brief statement commemorating or epitomizing a deceased person or something past