White Sox vs. Indians @ Goodyear

BigEdWalsh

There's a B-Game this morning as well, with Humber and Santiago facing the Mariners.

Sox:

De Aza, Pierzynski, Rios, Dunn, Ramirez, Fukudome, Viciedo, Morel, Beckham

Indians:

Brantley, Kipnis, Choo, Santana, Duncan, Kanzler, Hannahan, Spilborghs, Donald

MLBN will replay this game tomorrow at 8am.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 01:58 PM)
Revision: De Aza 8, A.J. 2, Rios DH, Fukudome 9, Ramirez 6, Viciedo 7, Morel 5, Dan Johnson 3, Beckham 4, Axelrod Pitching

Dunn scratched again? Is he okay?

Top of the first:

De Aza strikes out looking on a 2-seamer (I think) inside. Set up by a fastball off the plate called for a strike to start the at-bat.

AJ flies out to left-center on one pitch.

Rios flies out a little deeper to left-center, just off the end of the bat but good timing.

Bottom 1st:

Leadoff hitter out on a softish liner to RF.

Second batter (Brantley maybe?) singles on a broken bat blooper that lands between De Aza and Alexei in short CF. Steals second on a decent throw by AJ, just off-line a tad. Advances to third on Choo's flyout to moderately-deep CF.

Santana down in the count early and grounds out to 2b.

Top 2nd:

Fukudome pulls a 3-2 pitch hard over the 1b bag, but a great diving play by Duncan saves extra bases and Fukudome is out.

Alexei pops out to SS in short left field.

Viciedo takes two decent swings for foul balls, then strikes out looking on a make-up call off the plate outside (3rd pitch should have been called strike three but wasn't, strikeout pitch was further off the plate but called a strike. Either way, result is the same.)

Bottom 2nd:

Axelrod starts off shaky, but somehow junkballs his way into an infield pop-up caught by Johnson right in front of the mound.

Next guy hits a low liner to CF for a single. Runner advances on a ball in the dirt, smothered by AJ who throws to 2b but is too late. Beckham nearly catches a fly ball in foul territory that he had no business getting to, but at-bat continues. Eventually, grounds out to first. Runner advances to 3b with 2 out.

Spillborghs hits a gapper to right-center for an RBI double.

Next batter flies out lazily to De Aza in left center to end the inning.

Axelrod is changing speeds nicely but when hitters guess right, squaring him up pretty well. I guess that's to be expected from a right-hander with a meh fastball.

Top 3:

Morel makes decent contact but grounds out sharply to 2b. 1 out.

Dan Johnson goes down 0-2 early but comes back with a walk on a close pitch. First baserunner for the Sox.

Gordo GIDP on a sharp grounder to SS. Turn nearly pulls Duncan off first base, but I guess he had a toe on the bag.

Bottom 3:

Brantley K's swinging on a pitch off the plate. Wasn't even close.

Next batter quickly flies out to Fukudome in RF.

Choo K's on a check swing he couldn't hold up. Looked like a changeup inside that wasn't even close to the zone. Really fooled Choo. Solid inning for Axelrod.

Top 4th:

De Aza whiffs on a pitch inside he was waaay early on. He also stabbed at a bunt to lead off the at-bat, but completely missed. De Aza looks uncomfortable, based on body language and facial expressions.

AJ out but I didn't see how. Definitely made contact.

Rios strikes out swinging. Bleh.

Edited by ScottyDo

Bottom 4:

Zach Stewart in to replace Axelrod.

Santana fights to hit a gapper to left center for a double.

Duncan pops out to De Aza just off the infield grass in very short left.

Base hit to left field which Viciedo can't corral. Santana scores easily, and Canzler pulls into 2nd on the error. RBI single and an error.

Viciedo gets a bad jump on a liner to left field but manages to break on time to catch the ball for the second out. Canzler stays at 2B.

Spillborghs goes down 0-2 immediately but fouls off a ton of pitches and eventually comes back for an RBI single to left. Viciedo's throw offline, and Spillborghs advances to 2nd. Bad defense today. Nobody in the outfield looks comfortable.

Another long at-bat, but Donald eventually grounds out to Morel, who throws high but Johnson comes down with it on time. Can't get out of the way of Donald, though, who goes sprawling. Everyone's okay, though.

Edited by ScottyDo

Top 5:

Frank Herrmann in to pitch. Whoever that is.

Fukudome lines into left for a single. You can cancel the non-existent postgame show. MVP!

Alexei strikes out swining.

Viciedo does the same on 3 pitches. Eww.

Morel down 0-2, but eventually singles up the middle. 1st and 2nd with two out.

Feed randomly cuts to Glenn Beck talking about hurting himself doing carpentry? Then, all of the sudden the MLB.tv commercial animation. Wish I was kidding.

Back to the regularly-scheduled programming, Dan Johnson pulls it over the bag and into the RF corner. Fukudome home easily, Morel gunned out by a mile rounding 3rd to end the inning. Aside from the Glenn Beck cameo, a good AB for Johnson.

Bottom 5:

Brantley quickly grounds out to short. Alexei finally gets a little practice.

Kipnis strikes out swining on a ball off the plate. Sorry, fathom.

Indians announcers mention that the White Sox used 17 different players at DH last year. Craziness!

Stewart gets Choo to strike out, too. Double-sorry, fathom.

Looking at my post formatting this thread, I appear to owe Greg royalties. Check is in the mail, Greg.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 05:24 PM)
I wonder what the odds are that Fukudome is starting over Viciedo by May 1st?

I hope 0%. Viciedo still needs regular ABs. This season should be spent developing the young guys if they're struggling. Fukudome won't be enough to put us in the playoffs.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 03:30 PM)
I hope 0%. Viciedo still needs regular ABs. This season should be spent developing the young guys if they're struggling. Fukudome won't be enough to put us in the playoffs.

Also Fukudome is going to have to start for Rios.