The story of Ventura's hiring...

caulfield12

So that article pretty much confirms the suspicion that the "interview" process to find a new White Sox manager was a complete joke and that Robin had to be convinced to take the job. Fantastic.

Mike Matheny and his lack of managerial experience was also hired and by the defending champions, I know, I know, but I'm pretty he interviewed for the position along with other candidates and was then chosen. That's all I wanted to be content with the Sox hiring. Due Diligence.

The fact that they never even talked to anyone else will forever be a mystery. Why exactly was Robin the only choice? I can understand if the Sox (or any team for that matter) were like (and this is a fantasy scenario) "We only want Joe Maddon. We're offering him the job. We're not even gonna talk to anyone else" That makes sense. But to look to no one else and hire the guy with no experience and seemingly no desire to manage? Well, that's a head scratcher for the ages....

Unless it came from Reinsdorf directly.

What former Sox player/personality would give KW the most cover during this rebuilding period?

No wonder they threw out the idea of Konerko being a player/manager as well.

For LaRussa, it would have been kind of a "no win" situation coming off a World Series championship, unless they just gave him a huge contract.

It was kinda nutty not to interview others even if Ventura was their first choice. At least to see what is out there. You never know. Somebody might had blown them away in the interview process. You don't lose anything by interviewing some candidates.

However, there are no rules in hiring managers. Williams and Reinsdorf wanted Ventura and got him. Seems like Ventura is going to successful at this. I am hopeful.

What stood out in that first article...four hour meeting. Four hour meetings don't sound like fun to me. lol.

Edited by sunofgold