Trayvon Martin

StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 07:24 AM)
We need more people to fight back against dangerous hoodlums carrying skittles and tea! Arm everyone!

And that is how people who won't, or can't, think past soundbites and one example will feel.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 09:13 AM)
To clarify, that it should have been his legal duty to extricate himself from that conflict, as it should have been Martin's legal duty to extricate himself from that conflict. I think we went into detail about why that is particularly important something like 15 pages ago and I don't wish to retype.

To clarify, that is some people's opinion that you are presenting as fact. I'm not certain it should be anyone's legal duty to run. OMG! Look! It's a gang member, we all have to run, get off the street, leave the store, he may start something. I know it is difficult to write a law that allows Zimmerman to be punished for something, while allowing people to walk down a street without having the legal duty to avoid criminals.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 11:54 AM)
I feel like it's one of those issues that people (especially white people) don't want to touch. It's like pointing out reverse racism and the acceptance of it makes you racist yourself :lol:

Because if you talk about it you ARE labeled a racist. At this point, it's not worth the effort. In my circle of friends I always talk about how Hollywood makes men look like a bunch of f***ing idiots who are lucky their wives remind them to breathe. The reaction is very much the same - "oh please, historically women have been treated like dirt so it's fine."

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 12:29 PM)
If people want to be treated equally as intelligent human beings, perhaps they should drop the "sins of the father" act.

Unfortunately this rings a little hollow now that you've had your spin of the wheel and it's my turn to spin...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 10:42 AM)
I understand your frustration, and it is lame that there is a double standard that we face, but I think this is probably one of those prices the historically oppressive group has to pay (and is not going to receive a whole lot of pity for).

ding ding ding ding ding.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 04:05 PM)
the sins of the father echo in the present.

If anyone thinks that this case resonates strongly with African Americans today because of things that happened in the 60's and not things that they feel they've experienced in their own lives...that person is sadly mistaken.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 10:36 AM)
Good points, and I hope so as well.

I just get tired of the double standards for racism in this country. About a week ago, a guy I know on Facebook mentioned a story about Rihanna posting a racist picture on her Twitter account. It was mocking Chris Brown's new girlfriend, who is Filipino or something, using rice cakes. There was almost no backlash. He said that if someone like Taylor Swift had done something similar, she'd be forced to make a public apology, dropped from her label, etc. And I couldn't help but agree.

While I agree with this post, we have to keep in mind the history of racism in America, and it has been mostly done by whites against minorities, particularly blacks. Of course there has been racist crimes by minorities against white people but the great majority of lynchings, beatings, assualts and intimidation were white against minorities, that's why it strikes a nerve every time it looks like a hate crime was comitted by a whites vs minority. On a personal note, I have never suffered a physical attack because of my race but I have been verbally abused by whites (been called wetback, beaner, taco bell, Speedy Gonzalez etc). Even got harrassed by the police, living in the LA area, I once decided to shave my head because of the heat and I was being pulled over for no reason other than my appearance, even the cops asked to see my gang tats, never mind I've never had any (never been in a gang, shocking to some white folks) and I certainly didn't dress like a homie (actually I used to dress more like a metal fan). The mistrust of the police in minority areas is real and for good reason.

I know a lot of white people like to complain about reverse racism but let's keep in mind minorities never instituted Jim Crow laws, didn't go around burning churches and didn't surpress white's civil liberties.

One last thing, does anyone here remember the bruhaha Mexican televsion created a couple of years ago during the South African WC? Some idiot comedians during Televisa's soccer coverage would come out in black face complete with a spear and bone through the nostrils costume, it was really dumb of them and US blogs were crying racism and even though it was bad, Mexico has never had a history of persecuting black people for the sole reason that they are black (there are black Mexicans, particularly in the Vera Cruz area). It is different when a country like Mexico does it as opposed to the USA, it's still not right but it isn't the same.

Back to the thread topic :lolhitting

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 04:53 PM)
Let's keep in mind that almost nobody alive today has done that, certainly not anyone in our generation. We don't get free run to say or do whatever we want to the British because they ruled us over two centuries ago.

Bad analogy, the British never repressed and held Americans as slaves because of their race.

Are we going to pretend minorities aren't being attacked anymore? Hate crimes still exsist today, obviously not to the degree as back in the day but the statistics don't lie, a black kid caught with drugs serves a longer jail time than a white kid. The police still go around intimidating minorities, it happens, you think every minority that distrusts the police are criminals? I've never been arrested in my life and I'm wary of them, I don't hate them, there are good cops but there are also redneck racists cops that get heavy handed with minorities. Dave Chapelle and Chris Rock are guys who don't come off as thugs yet they talk about how they get scared when a cop pulls them over and how their white friends have totally different reaction.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

This police department isn't used to having to deal with people asking for leaks.

Here's video, provided by ABC News, of Zimmerman arriving at the police station shortly after teh shooting.

That shouldn't have been released. But hey, the guy seems in decent condition.

And it turns out Im going to have to apologize if I insinuated the police didnt want to charge him. According to the yahoo article:

http://news.yahoo.com/trayvon-martin-video...topstories.html

Zimmerman was not arrested although ABC News has learned that the lead homicide investigator filed an affidavit urging Zimmerman be charged with manslaughter. The prosecutor, however, told the officer to not file the charge because there was not enough evidence for conviction.

Damn it if that is true it means that the Prosecutor cared more about his career/conviction percentage than taking a case to trial and potentially losing.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 09:46 PM)
Balta,

That is interesting. The first thing I tried to see was his nose, the second was blood spatter (couldnt find any) and the third was the back of his head.

Paramedics treated him at the scene, but he refused to go to the hospital for further treatment. I'm sure the details are in their (the emts) medical reports.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 10:10 PM)
Y2hh,

I agree the video isnt conclusive, but as of now its the only primary evidence I have. What is more interesting is that the police wanted to charge him with manslaughter.

Yea, I read that yesterday at some point, have to agree with you at the moment, sounds like the prosecutor didn't want a case that wasn't a sure win.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 06:36 PM)
Those exist both ways. Where I live, if you want to walk to the red line, you have to walk through about three blocks of a black area. A white person gets jumped at least once a month due to that, and that's just what I hear about.

Can't we all get along?

They should be forced to all go together to the local theatre and watch a screening of ATTACK THE BLOCK.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 11:48 PM)
I have a feeling that Zimmerman's claims are going to wind up being exaggerated bulls***.

It probably is exaggerated, but the only person that knows that is Zimmerman himself, and since he already has a lawyer, the odds of him incriminating himself are almost zero. Unless you can get Zimmerman to change his story or admit he's lying, there is no other living witness.

Edited by Y2HH