Trayvon Martin

StrangeSox

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 1, 2013 -> 12:59 PM)
Idiots are everywhere, with guns and without guns.

and they all need to be armed to stop the Bad Guys!

Had he shot these kids, he would have been tried and most likely found guilty of attempted murder/murder. SYG would not apply.

Yeah no doubt, I said that it's a pretty close match for what I think happened in the Treyvon case, not that the legal charges would be the same.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 1, 2013 -> 01:06 PM)
and they all need to be armed to stop the Bad Guys!

Yeah no doubt, I said that it's a pretty close match for what I think happened in the Treyvon case, not that the legal charges would be the same.

Except for the bit about the guy throwing the first punch.

I wouldn't be surprised if Zimmerman actually initiated physical contact by grabbing at Treyvon, but either way, I think the most likely scenario is still "Dude follows some people, gets out of his car, starts an altercation, gets his ass beat and then pulls a gun."

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Mar 30, 2013 -> 01:00 PM)
Part of responsible gun ownership is not behaving like that when you have your weapon on you (you really shouldn't behave like that at all, but skip that point)

Why are you skipping over the facts that 1) he's probably not a responsible gun owner and 2) that he's the one that initiated and then escalated the situation and then later had to resort to using a gun to diffuse the situation?

They seem like pretty big points to just skip over.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 1, 2013 -> 01:18 PM)
I wouldn't be surprised if Zimmerman actually initiated physical contact by grabbing at Treyvon, but either way, I think the most likely scenario is still "Dude follows some people, gets out of his car, starts an altercation, gets his ass beat and then pulls a gun."

I wouldn't be surprised...

I think...

The most likely scenario...

Guilty.

If I'm ever accused of anything, I really really really hope nobody like you is on the jury.

I'm pretty sure this video from gawker will be admissible as evidence, too!

Odd that you'd pick out three heavily qualifying statements in one sentence and then say I've determined he's guilty beyond any doubt, though. I mean, I put those in there for a reason.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 08:37 AM)

Odd that you'd pick out three heavily qualifying statements in one sentence and then say I've determined he's guilty beyond any doubt, though. I mean, I put those in there for a reason.

Don't you know when I'm trolling you by now? :wub:

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 08:37 AM)

So if you were on the jury in the Martin case you wouldn't convict? You've been pretty strong in your opinions on that case and it seems you have your mind made up that Zimmerman was in the wrong.

If I was on the jury in the Zimmerman case, I would hope that I would be able to listen to the evidence and theories presented at trial in as objective of a manner as possible. Given how many pointless words I've split on the subject, I doubt I'd be the best possible juror.

I do pretty firmly believe that Zimmerman was in the wrong and I've yet to see anything that places his actions in a reasonable light. However, it's still all predicated on his decision to leave his truck and pursue Martin negating his ability to claim SYG. It'll be interesting to see if the girl Treyvon was supposedly talking to right up until the confrontation testifies or what other evidence comes to light.

What people were so strongly reacting to was that this wasn't ever going to be more than minimally investigated and, later, the racist backlash that came from the fever swamps. If Zimmerman gets fair trial and his lawyers can present enough evidence to make a plausible case for Zimmerman's story, then so be it.

• 1 month later...

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/trayvo...-witness-758903

Interviewed by cops about 90 minutes after the shooting, the witness--whose name was redacted from police documents--said that he was inside his home when he heard a “commotion coming from the walk way” behind his residence. The man recalled seeing “a black male, wearing a dark colored ‘hoodie’ on top of a white or Hispanic male who was yelling for help.” The black male, he added, “was mounted on the white or Hispanic male and throwing punches ‘MMA (mixed martial arts) style.'”

This was just released to the defense a few days ago. How can they withhold evidence like that from the defense?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 21, 2013 -> 11:13 PM)

This was just released to the defense a few days ago. How can they withhold evidence like that from the defense?

What exactly did they withhold? That witness came forward shortly after the shooting and the media reported on it. It's not like no one knew about him.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ May 21, 2013 -> 06:26 PM)
What exactly did they withhold? That witness came forward shortly after the shooting and the media reported on it. It's not like no one knew about him.

My bad. I read May 21st, totally missing the 2012, thinking it was 'today'. Makes a lot more sense now.

"reverse racism"?

They get a conviction if they can convince the jury that Zimmerman's actions negated a self-defense claim. Whether getting out of his car and following him through the neighborhood to confront him rises to that level, I don't know. Short of having a convincing case of what actually happened when they encountered each other, I agree that it'll be hard to convict.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 22, 2013 -> 11:40 AM)
My bad. I read May 21st, totally missing the 2012, thinking it was 'today'. Makes a lot more sense now.

I actually read it as 2013 when I opened your link and wondered why they were reporting old news.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 21, 2013 -> 06:13 PM)

I actually remember this coming out when the story first broke. I don't think it can be refuted that Trayvon kicked Zimmerman's ass. It's all about how it started and how this concluded as tragically as it did.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 24, 2013 -> 12:06 PM)
So...guns are evil or?

It's more the pot smoking, school troubled kid that happens to flash a handgun that seems like exactly the type of son Obama would have raised in Hyde Park. Since, you know, he had to come out and immediately claim that Martin was your average American kid that could be his own.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ May 24, 2013 -> 12:17 PM)
Who in the world said Trayvon was a good kid?!?!?

The point being, before much of anything was known about Martin or Zimmerman or what actually happened that night, everyone felt compelled to victimize Martin as just another black kid. So there was an overreaction to him as being a normal, good ol' american boy.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 24, 2013 -> 12:31 PM)
The point being, before much of anything was known about Martin or Zimmerman or what actually happened that night, everyone felt compelled to victimize Martin as just another black kid. So there was an overreaction to him as being a normal, good ol' american boy.

LMAO. Being a black man myself, I know how full of s*** black people can be. If he were really a good kid, he would have did his best white guy voice saying "Is there a problem, kind sir?" when Zimmerman approached him or however it went down. Zimmerman would have been so flustered and would probably run away with his tail between his legs. I don't know how many times I pull this and people are just shocked stupid because they were expecting something else.

Trayvon was troubled youth but since noone knows the sequence of events other than Zimmerman (since Martin is deceased) I suspect he'll be let off.

Martin was just another black kid. Like a lot of kids in general, the "normal, good ol' American boys", he used some mild drugs, had some bravado, and got into some minor trouble here and there. Who cares? That's how teenagers in general act because they're dumb. None of this has any relevance to this shooting. Even if Martin had a criminal past, Zimmerman wouldn't automatically be innocent.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 24, 2013 -> 10:41 AM)
Oh no! He smoked pot! He tried to look 'tough'!

Martin was just another black kid. Like a lot of kids in general, the "normal, good ol' American boys", he used some mild drugs, had some bravado, and got into some minor trouble here and there. Who cares? That's how teenagers in general act because they're dumb. None of this has any relevance to this shooting. Even if Martin had a criminal past, Zimmerman wouldn't automatically be innocent.

No, but it will go a long way in convincing straight-laced white people that Martin may have been more willing to initiate or escalate the situation...i dunno what the composition of the jury is though...