Trayvon Martin

StrangeSox

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 02:23 PM)
Yeah usually that's prima facie evidence that they are and it's kinda funny, lol. "Why'd you think I thought you were a racist? Interesting. Did I say I thought you were racist?"

"I'm not racist! I had 3 black people in my house last year!"

I'm not a racist. I talk to black people on the internet.. both Soxtalk and Facebook!

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally feel you lostfan. As a black man I always feel like I'm trying to prove myself to white people. It's not something I have intent to do but it's more inherent. Example: While riding the train, I see some idiot rapping out loud during rush hour. I feel compelled to tell him to STFU. I feel like his actions reflect poorly on me that I have to defend myself from him. It's all too weird of a feeling. I'm sure if a white person saw some other white person acting like an idiot, it probably wouldn't even phase them.

Another example is when I tell people my profession, they get big eyed, like it's impossible for a black man to possess an education. It's a shame really. From distancing ourselves from the idiots and still getting treated like *******, I grow weary of the s*** on a daily basis. White people will never understand that s***. I'm not trying to be racist but it's just true. I feel like most of them see things through rose colored glasses.

Edited by pettie4sox

Let me add white women clutching their purses when you're on a el platform because clutching your purse will really prevent someone from overpowering you and taking it.

I can't help but to just scoff and shake my head at them.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 03:33 PM)
I totally feel you lostfan. As a black man I always feel like I'm trying to prove myself to white people. It's not something I have intent to do but it's more inherent. Example: While riding the train, I see some idiot rapping out loud during rush hour. I feel compelled to tell him to STFU. I feel like his actions reflect poorly on me that I have to defend myself from him. It's all too weird of a feeling. I'm sure if a white person saw some other white person acting like an idiot, it probably wouldn't even phase them.

Another example is when I tell people my profession, they get big eyed, like it's impossible for a black man to possess an education. It's a shame really. From distancing ourselves from the idiots and still getting treated like *******, I grow weary of the s*** on a daily basis. White people will never understand that s***. I'm not trying to be racist but it's just true. I feel like most of them see things through rose colored glasses.

Yeah, it's just different.

Yes I have a degree

Yes I had good grades in high school and college even though I was poor growing up and my dad was unemployed a lot

Yes I have good credit

Yes I have a son and am actually with him all the time

No I do not have a criminal record

No this all isn't really as unusual even though I know you assumed at least half were the opposite when you looked at me (unless I was wearing a suit and tie)

I'm not even saying I'm bitter or jaded about all this, just saying, the world does not look the same to me as it does to you.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 02:38 PM)

Yes I have a degree

Yes I had good grades in high school and college even though I was poor growing up and my dad was unemployed a lot

Yes I have good credit

No this all isn't really as unusual even though I know you assumed at least half were the opposite when you looked at me (unless I was wearing a suit and tie)

I'm not even saying I'm bitter or jaded about all this, just saying, the world does not look the same to me as it does to you.

Damn brother. +1000

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 02:15 PM)
I have to ask you...do you ever find it annoying when white people (OR lighter skinned people) go out of their way to prove they're not racists? I've been seeing a LOT of this as of late, and it makes me believe they're closet racists.

The words, trying too hard, come to mind when I see it...so I was wondering your perspective on the same.

I don't think they're closet racists, I think it's the white guilt thing I was talking about weeks ago. The fear of being labeled a racist - or worse, being looked upon as someone that doesn't care enough about minorities - is just too much to bare. So you go out of your way to, oh I dunno, argue with a black person about what is/isn't racist. Or you make sure to call everyone that might have a prejudicial/stereotypical thought about a minority a racist (because only racists have those thoughts).

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 12:38 PM)

Yes I have a degree

Yes I have good credit

Honestly, I understand what you are saying, and I admit I will never see the world the same as you, because I only have my own perspective. I can try and empathize, but I will never truly know.

However, other than in the case where I actually see outright racism occurring, usually I have found it best to just ignore the whole concept entirely. I try to view people of other races just as I view myself. I work with a black female attorney and an asian female attorney on a daily basis. We work closely with a white male attorney from Charleston, SC. We all get along fabulously and I don't think race or racial stereotypes have ever been mentioned, despite the very loose and humorous nature we all have with one another.

Generally I try to look at people as good people or people I prefer not to surround myself with. I don't really feel the need to parse it out anymore than that.

If I had access to Youtube at work, I'd totally link to Tupac's "Me Against the World." Sort of trying to bring humor to a tense situation, but having dated a "black" (opposite situation of lost with a black father, white mother) woman, I have atleast been around that type of world before too.

I still have no personal reference to what it's actually like though.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 03:47 PM)
Honestly, I understand what you are saying, and I admit I will never see the world the same as you, because I only have my own perspective. I can try and empathize, but I will never truly know.

However, other than in the case where I actually see outright racism occurring, usually I have found it best to just ignore the whole concept entirely. I try to view people of other races just as I view myself. I work with a black female attorney and an asian female attorney on a daily basis. We work closely with a white male attorney from Charleston, SC. We all get along fabulously and I don't think race or racial stereotypes have ever been mentioned, despite the very loose and humorous nature we all have with one another.

Generally I try to look at people as good people or people I prefer not to surround myself with. I don't really feel the need to parse it out anymore than that.

In terms of everyday life there's nothing at all wrong with this. s***, I'm thrilled if that's what my whole life is like and for everyone else around me.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 02:48 PM)
You left out key additional information that the person's identity was obscured with the sweatshirt and that recent crimes were committed in the area by young black men.

You know what, can an admin or mod just delete all of my posts in this thread? I'm serious. I'd rather just not even be involved at all if people are going to react like they have.

Don't be afraid to challenge people. Healthy discussion promotes growth.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 12:48 PM)
If I had access to Youtube at work, I'd totally link to Tupac's "Me Against the World." Sort of trying to bring humor to a tense situation, but having dated a "black" (opposite situation of lost with a black father, white mother) woman, I have atleast been around that type of world before too.

I still have no personal reference to what it's actually like though.

The last girl I dated before the current one was black. She was very sweet and my mother met her and loved her. She still asks about her and talks about her. On the other hand, my stepdad was never a fan of the concept from the get go. I don't know if there was anything the girl could have even done to make him feel comfortable about it. He never met her, but I am not sure he ever cared to.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 02:51 PM)
The last girl I dated before the current one was black. She was very sweet and my mother met her and loved her. She still asks about her and talks about her. On the other hand, my stepdad was never a fan of the concept from the get go. I don't know if there was anything the girl could have even done to make him feel comfortable about it. He never met her, but I am not sure he ever cared to.

I dated a black girl in high school, and it wasn't easy. My dad was polite but said the bare minimum to her, and to me while we dated. And her brother was a banger-wannabe threatened me daily. Most of my friends seemed cool with it, but we got funny stares when we went out. This was back in the early 80's.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 03:51 PM)

My dad had that problem when my grandmother first found out he was serious about marrying my mom. She had a problem with it and with my mom for years. His solution was to do whatever he wanted to and make her get over herself. However there's some cultures (Jewish, Asian for example) where there's significant pressure to marry one of your own and you can't buck your parents like that and it wouldn't be acceptable.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 03:54 PM)
I dated a black girl in high school, and it wasn't easy. My dad was polite but said the bare minimum to her, and to me while we dated. And her brother was a banger-wannabe threatened me daily. Most of my friends seemed cool with it, but we got funny stares when we went out. This was back in the early 80's.

They'd have gotten used to it eventually, they have no choice.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 02:55 PM)
My dad had that problem when my grandmother first found out he was serious about marrying my mom. She had a problem with it and with my mom for years. His solution was to do whatever he wanted to and make her get over herself. However there's some cultures (Jewish, Asian for example) where there's significant pressure to marry one of your own and you can't buck your parents like that and it wouldn't be acceptable.

Yeah my current girlfriend is Israeli. She's a non practicing jew (thank allah for that) but if she was, I imagine we'd have all sorts of fuggin' problems. I've heard horror stories from her relatives and their endeavors. That's not fun stuff.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 02:58 PM)
I never understood why parents got involved with their children's relationships. That just seems so wrong to me.

Teenagers do stupid s*** that most of their parents have already done. Not being specific to race relations or anything, but that is the general reason parents put their nose into their kids business.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 03:03 PM)
Teenagers do stupid s*** that most of their parents have already done. Not being specific to race relations or anything, but that is the general reason parents put their nose into their kids business.

I wasn't even talking about teenagers. I'm talking grown people! My previous example was when I was 24 years old (she was the same age). That may seem like a child but it's far from it.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 02:33 PM)

Whenever I am on the 80 Irving Park bus just before a Cubs game, I am usually surrounded by ignorant obnoxious white suburban Cubs fans, and I must say I am always embarassed by their actions and hope that others don't stereotype me with them too. Not the same thing, but kind of I guess. :D

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 03:06 PM)
Whenever I am on the 80 Irving Park bus just before a Cubs game, I am usually surrounded by ignorant obnoxious white suburban Cubs fans, and I must say I am always embarassed by their actions and hope that others don't stereotype me with them too. Not the same thing, but kind of I guess. :D

I would say you're pretty safe ;)