Trayvon Martin

StrangeSox

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 09:42 AM)
In a case predicated on him claiming some sort of self-defense? Yeah, right.

I'd hope that the jury wouldn't be privy to the finer details of his life amidst the media outcry, it's not the biggest detail of the case and it's certainly not admissable in terms of figuring out his guilt. They'll try to get that story out to the media but that's not one that is going to make headlines.

The media outcry though might well make him more likely to take a plea deal.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 08:45 AM)
I'd hope that the jury wouldn't be privy to the finer details of his life amidst the media outcry, it's not the biggest detail of the case and it's certainly not admissable in terms of figuring out his guilt. They'll try to get that story out to the media but that's not one that is going to make headlines.

The media outcry though might well make him more likely to take a plea deal.

Thanks to the outrage of this case, you aren't going to find those 12 people.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 09:46 AM)
Thanks to the outrage of this case, you aren't going to find those 12 people.

It might take a large jury pool and some extra effort, and the case should be tried somewhere in Florida other than the Sanford area, but it's certainly not impossible like you're making it sound.

And of course, since you're blaming the outrage, let's point out, if there hadn't been the outrage, they wouldn't need to find those 12 people.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 08:48 AM)
It might take a large jury pool and some extra effort, and the case should be tried somewhere in Florida other than the Sanford area, but it's certainly not impossible like you're making it sound.

And of course, since you're blaming the outrage, let's point out, if there hadn't been the outrage, they wouldn't need to find those 12 people.

There are plenty of people who don't bother watching the news...

If I didn't read this site, I wouldn't know a thing about this guy or the situation...

I don't watch local or national news.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 08:48 AM)

Not to mention once those 12 people get seated, the first thing the lawyers will tell them is about how Zimmerman is the victim here. They will go through what has happened to him since the shooting for sure.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 09:52 AM)
Not to mention once those 12 people get seated, the first thing the lawyers will tell them is about how Zimmerman is the victim here. They will go through what has happened to him since the shooting for sure.

I can't imagine a judge allowing that. That'd be ridiculously off topic and prejudicial.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 08:38 AM)
Painting him as the victim is going to be 100% of the strategy here. The threats on the guys life and the glare of the media spotlight really aren't going to help stop that from working.

Zimmerman shot a kid to death who was guilty of walking home from 7/11.

To me, it'd demonstrate callous indifference to the life of Trayvon.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 07:53 AM)
I can't imagine a judge allowing that. That'd be ridiculously off topic and prejudicial.

It is irrelevant, but you'd be surprised at what you can get away with in opening statement and closing arguments.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 09:55 AM)

Huh?

Talking about him having some version of PTSD and having all this media pressure seems like it'd do the opposite. I'd imagine it'd make him seem more human, they're trying to convince a jury that he was put in a spot where he had no choice but to take the shot and hates the fact that it came to that. Doesn't seem like it'd tell a story of indifference to me

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 08:55 AM)

Duh? Zimmerman's lawyers don't care about that. They care about getting their client off. Did OJ's lawyers care about his ex-wife? They are defense lawyers for god's sake.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 08:57 AM)
Huh?

Talking about him having some version of PTSD and having all this media pressure seems like it'd do the opposite. I'd imagine it'd make him seem more human, they're trying to convince a jury that he was put in a spot where he had no choice but to take the shot and hates the fact that it came to that. Doesn't seem like it'd tell a story of indifference to me

Zimmerman, the man who shot a teenager walking home from 7/11 to death, is now too scared to go into a 7/11.

Boo. f***ing. hoo.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 08:57 AM)
Duh? Zimmerman's lawyers don't care about that. They care about getting their client off. Did OJ's lawyers care about his ex-wife? They are defense lawyers for god's sake.

Zimmerman's lawyers should care about how their statements will be perceived. I'd perceive it as callous indifference and an emotional ploy that leaves them looking completely clueless as to why so many people were upset in the first place.

But of course I'd never be on the jury.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 08:59 AM)
Zimmerman's lawyers should care about how their statements will be perceived. I'd perceive it as callous indifference and an emotional ploy that leaves them looking completely clueless as to why so many people were upset in the first place.

Yeah, you've already made up your mind.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 08:59 AM)

It is also their road to a non-conviction. Their client has to be the victim. The whole idea is to paint him as someone who never wanted any of this to happen. He didn't want to shoot the kid, but he attacked Zimmerman, and forced him to do so. on top of it, his life has been ruined by this.

Disgusting, cheap, indifferent, or whatever, this is going to be the defense. It is the only way to win the case.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 09:03 AM)
It is also their road to a non-conviction. Their client has to be the victim. The whole idea is to paint him as someone who never wanted any of this to happen. He didn't want to shoot the kid, but he attacked Zimmerman, and forced him to do so. on top of it, his life has been ruined by this.

Disgusting, cheap, indifferent, or whatever, this is going to be the defense. It is the only way to win the case.

Who knows, we may find out through some of the evidence that will come out that he actually WAS the victim...or that Martin did force him to shoot him...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 09:09 AM)
Who knows, we may find out through some of the evidence that will come out that he actually WAS the victim...or that Martin did force him to shoot him...

I think if that were the case, it would be out already, and no one would be risking a prosecution of this case.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 08:10 AM)
I think if that were the case, it would be out already, and no one would be risking a prosecution of this case.

Keep an open mind now...innocent until proven guilty...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 10:12 AM)

But the fact that charges were brought at least suggests that there is no current evidence clearly proving his innocence. No additional recording or witness firmly establishing that his initial story was true. If that were the case, then the prosecutor would have been insane to bring charges.

It still could be that he's found not guilty beyond a reasonable doubt because the prosecutor can't prove the opposite, but if there were obvious evidence exonerating him, then bringing that forward would also help quiet the media storm.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 09:12 AM)

I'll be honest, I have no idea what happened. I'm just going off of common sense telling me that if there were a slam dunk (or even convincing) piece of evidence, the prosecutor would be playing it publicly so they wouldn't have to try this case. Losing this case could kill their career.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 08:14 AM)
But the fact that charges were brought at least suggests that there is no current evidence clearly proving his innocence. No additional recording or witness firmly establishing that his initial story was true. If that were the case, then the prosecutor would have been insane to bring charges.

It still could be that he's found not guilty beyond a reasonable doubt because the prosecutor can't prove the opposite, but if there were obvious evidence exonerating him, then bringing that forward would also help quiet the media storm.

Understood. But he wasn't charged initially for a reason as well.

I am certainly interested in hearing all the evidence.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 08:16 AM)
I'll be honest, I have no idea what happened. I'm just going off of common sense telling me that if there were a slam dunk (or even convincing) piece of evidence, the prosecutor would be playing it publicly so they wouldn't have to try this case. Losing this case could kill their career.

I disagree with that on both accounts.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 10:21 AM)
I disagree with that on both accounts.

I'm with 2k5. If there was an obvious piece of exonerating evidence beyond what we've seen reported already, there's no way this case gets this far.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 09:34 AM)
Zimmerman's former attny:

Zimmerman's current attny:

There must be a stronger word than "irony" to describe this.

Oh, it took me more than a short amount of time to get why saying "He can't walk to a 7/11" is in fact so ironic and why you'd think that particular statement would be a disaster if it were said in court.