Trayvon Martin

StrangeSox

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 01:49 PM)
Yeah, one tragedy is a good reason to ban DUI.

And I'm for banning the equivelent action in concealed carry laws. The legal limit for DUI in most areas is .08%. People are allowed to drink as long as they do not reach that limit. I believe people should be allowed to carry, however some actions should be punished. Threatening with the gun would be one such action.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 04:59 AM)
pick up a gun magazine and look at all the toys for the special forces wanna-bes.

What a lame comment.

There are cool gun accessories that us gun nuts like to buy. Mag pouches, tactical lights, scopes and sights, plate carriers, etc. Yes, people who like guns also enjoy accessories designed to enhance the use of those guns. It doesn't make you an SF wannabe.

I'm not going to deny that there is a fun element to guns. Shooting is a great way to spend a day. I enjoy it. A lot. That doesn't mean I think my guns are toys or I fail to show them respect. It just means I own guns for more than self-defense. It's a hobby. Geez.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 12:49 PM)
Yeah, one tragedy is a good reason to ban DUI.

We already did that. We also banned homicide. But people do it any way! Why don't we just ban guns and cars altogether? You'll get the super-safe, utopian s***hole that you desire, and I'll move to Zimbabwe.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 05:37 PM)
Yes, but those things are essentially being treated as toys.

This post has been edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 06:52 PM)
Convincing argument.

Putting a scope on your rifle doesn't make it a toy. Buying a tactical light doesn't mean you think guns are toys. Having a serious interest in tactical shooting, as many military/police types do for obvious reasons, doesn't mean you don't respect your weapons.

Have you ever even met a serious shooter? And I'm not talking about the guy who lives in a rough neighborhood and owns a .380 for protection. I'm talking about the kind of guy who shoots every weekend and has a bunch of "SF wannabe" s***. Do you really think that is the kind of guy who thinks guns are toys? I'm telling you, I know many of those types. I'm ONE of those types. And we are the farthest thing you can be from thinking guns are just some cool looking toys that make you a badass. No s***, I think you got your ridiculous stereotypes of gun owners from a movie.

If someone asked me what makes a person a tool, I'd say making haughty statements about things you know nothing about and have no experience dealing with. Keep that in mind.

QUOTE (God Loves The Infantry @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 08:47 PM)
Putting a scope on your rifle doesn't make it a toy. Buying a tactical light doesn't mean you think guns are toys. Having a serious interest in tactical shooting, as many military/police types do for obvious reasons, doesn't mean you don't respect your weapons.

Have you ever even met a serious shooter? And I'm not talking about the guy who lives in a rough neighborhood and owns a .380 for protection. I'm talking about the kind of guy who shoots every weekend and has a bunch of "SF wannabe" s***. Do you really think that is the kind of guy who thinks guns are toys? I'm telling you, I know many of those types. I'm ONE of those types. And we are the farthest thing you can be from thinking guns are just some cool looking toys that make you a badass. No s***, I think you got your ridiculous stereotypes of gun owners from a movie.

If someone asked me what makes a person a tool, I'd say making haughty statements about things you know nothing about and have no experience dealing with. Keep that in mind.

Yes, I have met serious shooters. I work with several, including ex-SF.

Some gun nuts treat their guys like toys. Some gun nuts =! all gun owners.

QUOTE (God Loves The Infantry @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 08:47 PM)

Funny thing is, you come off exactly like those ridiculous stereotypes I see in those movies...

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 07:59 PM)
Yes, I have met serious shooters. I work with several, including ex-SF.

Some gun nuts treat their guys like toys. Some gun nuts =! all gun owners.

Ok, sure, some do. I won't deny that. Just like some people with ricer cars probably think they belong in Formula One. But they aren't idiot gun owners just because they partake in tactical shooting, and buy tactical lights, and meaningfully enhance their weapons (yes, some, like that joke picture you posted, are not serious enhancements). They are unserious idiots because, at the root of it all, they don't own weapons for the right reasons. Some people are just tools who want to look cool and don't realize what guns can do, and those guys are the ones you're talking about. It's a personality thing; not an "I like to read tactical gear catalogs" thing. Fair?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 2, 2012 -> 02:15 PM)
Reason number 1,429,392 not to have a myspace or facebook account:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/george...-180717152.html

I dont really think its relevant to the case, but it just is stupid to have this type of stuff available for a Prosecutor to use against you.

I'd be shocked if any of that stuff was allowed in at trial.

Im not sure, I could see it being entirely barred, but if the Prosecutor is trying to show this was racially motivated, it may be relevant. Regardless it shouldnt be left to a judge, Zimmerman would have been wise to bury this.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 2, 2012 -> 01:15 PM)
Reason number 1,429,392 not to have a myspace or facebook account:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/george...-180717152.html

I dont really think its relevant to the case, but it just is stupid to have this type of stuff available for a Prosecutor to use against you.

Racial profiling? Nah. He's Hispanic, and he's making fun of other Hispanics for acting thuggish. It's more immature than anything else. I know those guys who post statuses with "txt" type and a bajillion exclamation points. They're annoying. I tend to defriend them.

QUOTE (God Loves The Infantry @ May 2, 2012 -> 06:13 PM)
Racial profiling? Nah. He's Hispanic, and he's making fun of other Hispanics for acting thuggish.

he is allowed to do that. like trayvon was allowed to have his "offensive" twitter name. same reason. you may criticize your own "race", it's OK. Like the guy that wrote the "Stuff White People Like" book. He was entitled to do so.

QUOTE (God Loves The Infantry @ May 2, 2012 -> 06:13 PM)
Racial profiling? Nah. He's Hispanic, and he's making fun of other Hispanics for acting thuggish. It's more immature than anything else. I know those guys who post statuses with "txt" type and a bajillion exclamation points. They're annoying. I tend to defriend them.

how is it not racial profiling? "hispanic" is not a homogenous group.

Zimmerman isnt Mexican though and his comments werent about Hispanics.

Zimmerman is Peruvian, which is in South America, Mexico is in North America.

It would be like saying its okay for an african american in the US to say "I was going to drive over that stupid Egyptian."

Egyptian does not equal african american, just like Mexican does not equal hispanic.

QUOTE (God Loves The Infantry @ May 2, 2012 -> 09:03 PM)
Meh. I'm not a race obsessed lefty so I wouldn't know.

I take this as an admission that your ideology leaves you blind to any racial issues.

You made the claim that it isn't racial profiling.how did you conclude that.