Trayvon Martin

StrangeSox

Apparently today's the day for new news in this case.

WFTV has learned charges against George Zimmerman could be getting more serious.

State prosecutors said Zimmerman, a neighborhood watchman, profiled and stalked 17-year-old Trayvon Martin before killing him, so the FBI is now looking into charging him with a hate crime.

Zimmerman admitted to killing Martin in February during a confrontation. However, he claims the shooting was in self-defense. He's facing a second-degree murder charge, which carries a maximum possible sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole. But if Zimmerman is charged and found guilty of a federal hate crime involving murder, he could face the death penalty.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 15, 2012 -> 10:44 AM)
That's not really news, the FBI started looking into the hate-crime aspect two months ago.

They wouldn't be running that today if they didn't have someone, somewhere, telling them that something new was about to break on the Federal side in that case. Unless the media outlets in Florida are just that bad.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 15, 2012 -> 09:36 AM)
Well, it's only really relevant if it helps establish the timeline.

Yeah, but all kinds of crap that comes out in discovery is not relevant at all...it really could be anything or nothing.

A medical report by George Zimmerman's family doctor shows the neighborhood watch volunteer was diagnosed with a fractured nose, two black eyes and two lacerations on the back of the head after his fatal confrontation with Trayvon Martin.

The medical exam, which was taken a day after Zimmerman's February 26 altercation with the unarmed 17-year-old, says Zimmerman suffered a "closed fracture" of his nose, according to two sources who have detailed knowledge of the investigation.

Link. Makes me even more astonished that the prosecution felt they had enough to bring charges.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 16, 2012 -> 08:27 AM)
It shouldn't matter how much he got his ass kicked if they have convincing evidence that he started it.

I'm guessing they're going on what Zimmerman told them - he was following Martin before getting attacked. They're going to try to use this case as an example of when "reasonable belief of imminent death or injury" does not include tailing someone. Similar to going back into a house with a gun and shooting, even after you successfully ran away from your abusive husband.

I'm going to use the Kos post as a link aggregator for this one.

Florida Special Prosecutor Angela Corey has released a vast array of evidence Thursday in the February shooting death of Trayvon Martin. He was shot by George Zimmerman in an incident that created a firestorm of public protest and debate. Zimmerman has been charged with second-degree murder and is free on $150,000 bond.

The evidence, including interviews, recordings of 911 calls, video and other hundreds of pages of documents, is available to the media on a website specifically created for the purpose, and reporters combing through it so far have discovered:

ABC:

• The autopsy report shows traces of the active ingredient of marijuana, THC, in Martin's blood and urine.

• The report indicated that Martin was shot from a distance of 1 to 18 inches.

• It also said there was a quarter-inch by half-inch abrasion on Martin's left fourth finger, indicating a possible struggle.

Associated Press:

• A photo shows Zimmerman with a bloody nose, a one-inch laceration to the back of his head and a forehead abrasion.

Miami Herald:

• Twenty-three witnesses were interviewed. Their statements conflict:

[O]ne eyewitness who said he saw a man in a red shirt getting hit by someone else. When he returned for a second look, the man who was hitting the other was dead.

“I heard yelling out back in the grass area,” the unnamed witness said. “[...] I opened door and saw a guy on the ground getting hit by another man on top of him in a [...] position hitting a guy in a red sweatshirt or red top. I said I was calling the cops and ran upstairs then heard a gun shot. ... The guy on top who was sitting the guy [...] layed out on the grass as he had been shot.”

Another witness saw a “broad man” on top hitting another. The evidence list shows Zimmerman wore a size 38. His shirt was red.

“First we heard like a howling sound. And then the second time we heard a more-clearly ‘help’ sound,” the witness said. “I know after seeing the TV of what’s happening — comparing their pictures — I think Zimmerman is definitely on top because of his size.” [...]

Another female witness told Sanford Detective Chris Serino she was concerned for her safety because Zimmerman knew where she lived, lived in her neighborhood and could come back to harm her, according to a police report.

Serino replied: the person we’re talking about is not somebody who’s going to do something like that.

NPR:

• Reporter Greg Allen states a witness says one man was chasing another, but with no indication of who was chasing whom. Police said they determined that, in one instance, Zimmerman called for help.

Orlando Sentinel:

• The documents reveal that Sanford Police believed the shooting was "ultimately avoidable" if Zimmerman had "remained in his vehicle and awaited the arrival of law enforcement."

I think we're seeing that Zimmerman made the stupid move of pursuing Trayvon, probably assuming that he'd scare the kid away with no trouble. Trayvon fought (or fought back) and Zimmerman got scared and used his firearm. Perhaps the racist in him assumed that the black kid would be packing...maybe not. The media coverage of this was pretty bogus though.

BTW, as I was watching one of the reports a thought crossed my mind. How objective are the police in their report? In the back of my head I am thinking, hey Zimmerman basically tried being a cop and failed. Like many professionals, isn't there a tendency to be thinking, he should have waited for someone like "me" to be there. No one but a cop can do this job. Kind of like taking your car into a mechanic after you tried to fix it and failed. Or hiring any professional after you tried and failed. By criticizing Zimmerman they make themselves look better.

Just tossing something new to think about.

QUOTE (farmteam @ May 23, 2012 -> 01:37 PM)
I'm guessing it doesn't really matter which side they change it to; if they change it at all that hurts the prosecution, doesn't it?

Not if they would have wound up being witnesses for the defense based on their original testimony.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 23, 2012 -> 01:57 PM)
I believe it will help the defense by adding to the uncertainty. Hello shadows of doubt.

This is such an odd case that I'm not sure uncertainty helps the defense. Zimmerman's best defense is the stand your ground defense, that no matter what happened beforehand, the kid had come after him, he was hurt, he had no choice but to pull the trigger. Uncertainty here means...well, we're not quite certain what happened or who was the aggressor, but we are certain a kid wound up dead. That could hurt the "Stand your ground" defense.

I see your point, which leads me to this; If he is going to bet his freedom on the exact wording of the stand your ground, I'd suggest he skip the jury and go with the judge.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 23, 2012 -> 02:01 PM)
I see your point, which leads me to this; If he is going to bet his freedom on the exact wording of the stand your ground, I'd suggest he skip the jury and go with the judge.

I believe the defense has a right to request an explicit "SYG" hearing before the prosecution could bring their actual case.

I don't see a problem really with these changes, except for the first (when she originally said two people were running and now just one). The one where the person changed her opinion as to who was the aggressor was aided by "new" information (the coverage of the Zimmerman/Martin on TV). She admitted with her first statement that she wasn't sure.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 23, 2012 -> 03:22 PM)
I don't see a problem really with these changes, except for the first (when she originally said two people were running and now just one). The one where the person changed her opinion as to who was the aggressor was aided by "new" information (the coverage of the Zimmerman/Martin on TV). She admitted with her first statement that she wasn't sure.

Define "Problem"?

The "Problem" is that eyewitness testimony is inherently unreliable, and this is just a symptom of that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 23, 2012 -> 02:23 PM)
Define "Problem"?

The "Problem" is that eyewitness testimony is inherently unreliable, and this is just a symptom of that.

It's not unreliable. CSI has warped your people's minds about the requirements of evidence.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 23, 2012 -> 03:28 PM)
It's not unreliable. CSI has warped your people's minds about the requirements of evidence.

Actually, decades of scientific study of the reliability of eyewitness accounts has done that for me just fine.