Dick Allen to be honored

southsider2k5

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,1449346.story

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- The Chicago White Sox will honor former first baseman and 1972 American League most valuable player Dick Allen at U.S. Cellular Field prior to the game on June 24.

Allen, a seven-time all-star and White Sox fan favorite, is scheduled to throw out the ceremonial first pitch prior to the game against Milwaukee, with other members of the 1972 Sox team and legendary former Sox general manager Roland Hemond in attendance.

During the June 24 game, and all 2012 Sunday home games, the Sox will wear red pinstriped throwback uniforms and red caps to honor the 1972 team. The first 10,000 children (13 and under) in attendance on June 24 will receive youth XL 1972 replica jerseys.

"The 1972 White Sox team stands out in franchise history. Personalities and stars like Dick Allen, Goose Gossage, Bill Melton and many others changed this franchise and deserve to be recognized," Brooks Boyer, White Sox senior vice president of sales and marketing, said in a statement. "Seeing Allen throw that first pitch and those pinstriped jerseys will bring back a lot of memories for fans of that generation and create new memories as well."

Allen and other members of the 1972 White Sox will be honored by the Chicago Baseball Museum at their fundraising dinner at U.S. Cellular Field on June 25. The festivities for the museum's dinner will begin at 6 p.m. at the Stadium Club.

Allen was such an imposing figure at the plate, like nothing I had seen since Big Klu in 1959. Yes, I'm old. That huge bat, the SI Cover, and I believe he hit one into the CF bleachers when they were 440 feet, are all pictures in my mind I don't forget. What a fun era, with Melton, Wilbur Wood, Gossage, Forster and a real competitive team with Chuck Tanner at the helm.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Mar 22, 2012 -> 02:22 PM)
Allen was such an imposing figure at the plate, like nothing I had seen since Big Klu in 1959. Yes, I'm old. That huge bat, the SI Cover, and I believe he hit one into the CF bleachers when they were 440 feet, are all pictures in my mind I don't forget. What a fun era, with Melton, Wilbur Wood, Gossage, Forster and a real competitive team with Chuck Tanner at the helm.

That is the era that got me hooked on the Sox as a teenager. It was a fun team, loved those Sunday afternoon doubleheaders. My cousin had season tickets with a friend of his, and when his friend couldn't make it he gave me a call to go with him. I owe my life to that man as he probably saved me from "life" as a Cub fan (now there's an oxymoron for you, emphasis on moron).

:lol:

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Mar 22, 2012 -> 03:22 PM)

I was 12 years old and at that game in the right field bleachers...I want to say it was against the Yankees...maybe Orioles. (maybe not)...but it was an amazing shot. btw...it just didn't make it into the first row of the bleachers. It was more than half way up the bleachers...more towards the back of them. Other shot I remember being at was his pinch hit 3-run homer with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th off Sparky Lyle...that was the Yankees I know. He still goes down as my all-time favorite player to watch growing up...him and Pudge. 44 ounce bat...holy crap! Still love those red pinstripe unis too!

Edited by Wanne

QUOTE (balfanman @ Mar 22, 2012 -> 02:38 PM)
That is the era that got me hooked on the Sox as a teenager. It was a fun team, loved those Sunday afternoon doubleheaders. My cousin had season tickets with a friend of his, and when his friend couldn't make it he gave me a call to go with him. I owe my life to that man as he probably saved me from "life" as a Cub fan (now there's an oxymoron for you, emphasis on moron).

:lol:

Didn't really want to bump this thread, but I just had to mention how ironic it is that I mentioned this recently. I called my cousin and thanked him for those great times the other day and I'm truly thankful that I did. He was found dead in his apartment yesterday after he didn't show up for work, probably a heart attack. We have lost a tremendous Sox fan.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 07:12 AM)
Didn't really want to bump this thread, but I just had to mention how ironic it is that I mentioned this recently. I called my cousin and thanked him for those great times the other day and I'm truly thankful that I did. He was found dead in his apartment yesterday after he didn't show up for work, probably a heart attack. We have lost a tremendous Sox fan.

Damn. Rest in Peace. :pray