Predict April

Cali

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 26, 2012 -> 12:18 AM)
3 @ TEX (1-2)

3 @ CLE (2-1)

3 VS. DET (2-1)

4 VS. BALT (3-1)

3 @ SEA (3-0)

3 @ OAK (1-2)

4 VS. BOS (1-3)

13-10

No real rhyme or reason...much like this franchise the past few years.

BTW, the Tigers don't scare me at all outside of Verlander. Even then, he's another 130 pitch outing away from his arm flying off behind his fastball. Good thing Leyland is such a great manager of his bullpen. Oh wait.....

I normally pay attention to pitch and innings counts for pitchers because it is like 99% of the time statistically relevant data, but there are certain guys like Justin Verlander who I just stop worrying about it, especially after 2010. I had him pegged for a 4.00-4.50 ERA after Leyland ran him into the ground in 2009. He proceeded to put up a better ERA and WHIP, albeit in 15.2 fewer innings. I don't expect 250 innings of a sub 2.50 ERA, but 230 of sub 3.00 ERA is perfectly reasonable.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 26, 2012 -> 06:26 PM)
I normally pay attention to pitch and innings counts for pitchers because it is like 99% of the time statistically relevant data, but there are certain guys like Justin Verlander who I just stop worrying about it, especially after 2010. I had him pegged for a 4.00-4.50 ERA after Leyland ran him into the ground in 2009. He proceeded to put up a better ERA and WHIP, albeit in 15.2 fewer innings. I don't expect 250 innings of a sub 2.50 ERA, but 230 of sub 3.00 ERA is perfectly reasonable.

I know it only means so much, but he put up a .239 BABIP last year with Inge playing a lot of defense at 3b and Peralta having his best season in his career defensively at SS. If those things go the way they're supposed to...with Cabrera taking over 3b and Peralta playing like the Peralta of most years in his career, an ERA like the 3.54 mark he has in his career wouldn't be out of the question.

But then again...this is baseball...and stranger things happen than a guy defying the odds.

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 2, 2012 -> 11:13 AM)
11-11

Another genius. Too bad you don't seem to be as good at Powerball. This is the winner though, wite had .500 but there could have been mulitple rainouts. Hickory got the record right on.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 29, 2012 -> 08:27 PM)
How will they do in their next 10 consecutive games against Cleveland, then at DET and at CLE?

The easy thing to do would be to predict 4-6 or 5-5, but with our road excellence carrying over from last year, I'll go with 6-4.

Hadn't realized they had 10 in a row against their direct competitors until you pointed it out. I'd say at the end of this stretch will be a good point of evaluation for the team, with a quarter of the season or so under their belts, and lots of ALC games.

Funny thing is they match up better with ALC teams this year then they have in years past. Maybe it will keep them in the hunt.

To be honest, .500 and 2 games out of first coming out of what has been traditionally been a bad month for the Sox isn't a bad place to be in.

A pretty average month that could have been better. When the Sox hit that 10th win things were looking up, then they crashed right back down.

I think the combination of Detroit not looking like world beaters early on, KC not doing a damn thing and Cleveland not rushing away with an early lead like 2011 makes it look like the Central won't be nearly as good as a whole.

May will be a huge key to whether I give a s*** about this team come summer. 21 of 29 against the Central... This is the season pretty much starting Tuesday...

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Apr 29, 2012 -> 08:50 PM)
Funny thing is they match up better with ALC teams this year then they have in years past. Maybe it will keep them in the hunt.

To be honest, .500 and 2 games out of first coming out of what has been traditionally been a bad month for the Sox isn't a bad place to be in.

Just one game back, CLE is two games over .500.

They've simply played 2 less games than the Sox.