Danks named Opening Day Starter

southsider2k5

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago...tm_medium=email

Danks to start Opening Day

March 26, 2012, 6:08 pm

JJ STANKEVITZ

John Danks will take the mound for the White Sox on Opening Day, Robin Ventura announced after Monday's 4-3 loss to Los Angeles. Danks threw seven innings against the Dodgers, striking out four with no walks while allowing three runs (two earned) on five hits.

It's been assumed Danks would get the Opening Day nod since he agreed to a five-year extension with the White Sox in December. Since joining the White Sox rotation in 2007, Danks has a 4.03 ERA with 714 strikeouts and 300 walks.

But Danks is coming off his worst season since his rookie year, posting a 4.33 ERA in 27 starts in 2011. From 2008-2010, Danks' ERA sat at 3.61 in 97 starts.

When Danks takes the hill in Texas, he'll become the 49th left-hander to earn an Opening Day start for the White Sox in the team's 112-year history. Mark Buehrle started every Opening Day but 2007 from 2002-2011, and before him, David Wells and Mike Sirotka started the season's first game this century.

So over the last 12 years, the Sox have had a lefty start Opening Day in 11 of them. Jose Contreras owns the distinction of being the lone righty to start Opening Day since the turn of the millennium.

Danks will start against the team that drafted him with the ninth overall pick in the 2003 MLB Draft. The deal that brought Danks to Chicago on Dec. 23, 2006 is regarded as one of the best made by GM Kenny Williams, as the Sox sent Brandon McCarthy and a minor-leaguer to Texas for Danks, Nick Masset and another minor leaguer.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/03/26/hog...ng-day-starter/

y Adam Hoge-

GLENDALE, Ariz. (CBS) – John Danks is officially Robin Ventura’s opening day starter.

After taking most of the spring to make a final decision, Ventura made the announcement after the left-hander pitched seven strong innings against the Dodgers Monday at Camelback Ranch.

“He’s that guy for us,” Ventura said. “He’s the guy we want to lead off with and count on. And he’s willing to take that on so I like when I look in his eyes and see that.”

Danks allowed just two earned runs and five hits while striking out four and walking none Monday as the White Sox lost 4-3 to the Dodgers. After a slow start to the spring, the lefty appears to be on track.

“This is as close as I’ve been to where I want to be when the season starts,” Danks said. “I knew it would come. I wasn’t worried about it.”

Danks said his cutter still isn’t where he wants it to be, but he’s happy with the changeup.

As for why Ventura took so long to make his decision, the rookie manager said he was just being careful.

“I wanted to make sure and see it,” he said. “The last couple (games) with him I’ve seen what I need to see and I feel comfortable and confident in making him the opening day starter.”

Ventura said Jake Peavy will be No. 2 in the rotation with Gavin Floyd third.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 07:45 AM)
Kinda sad that he's getting "Rewarded" for the crap he threw up there last year. How bout we earn this one?

Well, honestly, if you had to bet, at the end of the year, which Sox starter will have the best year?

If you say Floyd, I can live with that too, but I think if you were truly betting money, you'd put your money on Danksy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 08:45 AM)
Kinda sad that he's getting "Rewarded" for the crap he threw up there last year. How bout we earn this one?

Disagree. Danks last year was pretty much the definition of "victim of circumstance". His xFIP was the lowest of his career, BABIP against the highest.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 11:48 AM)
I think arguably the best thing of his start against LA was NO walks. I am ready for peing day. Pitching has been pretty good so far for the Sox

Moises Alou is always ready for that day. It always comes as such a relief!

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 04:40 PM)
I'm not sure what you mean. He always starts on that date? I don't recall that joke at all.

"Danks" describes good weed, I think, and April 20th (4/20) is like "National Pot Smokers Day".

Edited by IowanSoxFan

QUOTE (IowanSoxFan @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 06:05 PM)
"Danks" describes good weed, I think, and April 20th (4/20) is like "National Pot Smokers Day".

I understand what dank is, but the post I replied to seemed to be saying that he also seriously pitched almost every April 20th. That would have been really cool, but I hadn't heard anything like it before.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 11:20 AM)
I understand what dank is, but the post I replied to seemed to be saying that he also seriously pitched almost every April 20th. That would have been really cool, but I hadn't heard anything like it before.

I was just as confused as you. I did look it up, and he did start on 4/20 in 2007, 2008, & 2010.