Danks named Opening Day Starter

southsider2k5

Looks like it will be

Danks vs Lewis

Peavy vs Holland

Floyd vs Harrison

Darvish is more than likely 4th for the Rangers.

It also appears the Sox will get the Indians 4th and 5th starters, and Masterson--which may explain why Ubaldo started against the Sox yesterday.

And there's a decent chance the Sox will miss Verlander in the opening series at home.

Don't think that we use off days to skip a starter. Like sometimes you skip your fifth starter as long as you don't have five games in a row without an offday. And sometime you can skip a starter turn b/c of rainouts/snowouts in April.

I think that is good especially in the beginning of the season. I know that guys usually like to pitch every 5th day but with Sale trying to get into the groove and Peavy trying to start healthy..this should be a good rotation.

And we have some insurance in our pen and/or AAA with Axelrod, Stewart, and eventually...hopefully soon Molina.

Edited by sunofgold

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 04:30 PM)
Don't think that we use off days to skip a starter. Like sometimes you skip your fifth starter as long as you don't have five games in a row without an offday. And sometime you can skip a starter turn b/c of rainouts/snowouts in April.

I think that is good especially in the beginning of the season. I know that guys usually like to pitch every 5th day but with Sale trying to get into the groove and Peavy trying to start healthy..this should be a good rotation.

And we have some insurance in our pen and/or AAA with Axelrod, Stewart, and eventually...hopefully soon Molina.

We've got 3 guys in the rotation who are at least question marks in terms of how many innings they can take, and a 7 man bullpen out of the gate (and I think very few april offdays).

They might skip starts for Sale in June-on when his arm does start tiring out, and if Humber or Peavy obviously start breakidn down after that point they might do that, but they're not going to skip a start on "Sale" and wind up having it mean that Peavy and Humber have to go on normal rest when they could get an extra offday.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 06:36 PM)
I am a little bit worried about Danks in that first game. First opening day start and playing against his ex-team. Hope that I am wrong. Win that first game and we can win that series.

I don't think Danks pitched even one inning for the Rangers. It's tough to say that having been in their minors will add any pressure to the game.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 08:07 PM)
I don't think Danks pitched even one inning for the Rangers. It's tough to say that having been in their minors will add any pressure to the game.

He pitched half a season at AAA was the highest he got with Texas.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 06:36 PM)
I am a little bit worried about Danks in that first game. First opening day start and playing against his ex-team. Hope that I am wrong. Win that first game and we can win that series.

Danks hasn't been bad against the Rangers. He's got a 3.81 ERA against them in his career. I remember him throwing some gems in Texas.

Edited by chw42