Sox announce cuts

southsider2k5

Mark Gonzales ‏ @MDGonzales

Sox reassign Jordan Danks, Jim Gallagher, Dan Johnson, Dallas McPherson, Josh Phegley and Tyler Saladino to minor-league camp.

JJ Stankevitz ‏ @JJStankevitz

Welcome to the #WhiteSox, Eduardo Escobar. Sox cut Dan Johnson, Dallas McPherson.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 11:53 AM)

Sox reassign Jordan Danks, Jim Gallagher, Dan Johnson, Dallas McPherson, Josh Phegley and Tyler Saladino to minor-league camp.

Welcome to the #WhiteSox, Eduardo Escobar. Sox cut Dan Johnson, Dallas McPherson.

Like! He appears to be a solid bench player, with an outside chance at being more down the road.

Edited by ScottyDo

So basically Gimenez, and 5 pitchers still need to go.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/

Dan Johnson, five others cut by White Sox

By Daryl Van Schouwen on March 27, 2012 10:48 AM | No Comments | No TrackBacks

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- First baseman Dan Johnson and five other White Sox were reassigned to minor league camp on Tuesday morning.

Johnson, a left-handed hitter known for hitting dramatic home runs throughout his career, appeared to be in competition with shortstop Eduardo Escobar for the 25th spot on the roster. Escobar has had an outstanding spring offensively, batting over .400 with a home run.

The Sox also reassigned outfielder Jordan Danks, infielder Jim Gallagher, infielder Dallas McPherson, catcher Josh Phegley and infielder Tyler Saladino to minor-league camp.

The Sox have 31 players remaining in major-league camp: 16 pitchers, three catchers, seven infielders and five outfielders. The remaining competition for jobs appears to be for two bullpen spots.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 11:09 AM)
I was hoping for one less pitcher and Johnson and Escobar both making it though I knew that was unlikely. Escobar has sure earned a spot. As for Johnson, I wish him the best. He's a really nice guy.

With the starters, there is no way you could go with only 10 pitchers.

Escobar brings a good energy to the team. He's made a couple throwing errors and baserunning errors the last week. I hope he can stay aggressive, but cut back on the mental errors.

I wonder why Septimo is still officially around.

Edited by flavum

I'm going with Olmedo, Gimenez, Axelrod, Stults, Septimo, and Jones as the last 6 to get cut.

Opening Day lineup: De Aza, Morel, Rios, Konerko, Dunn, Ramirez, Pierzynski, Viciedo, Beckham

Bench: Lillibridge, Fukudome, Escobar, Flowers

Rotation: Danks, Peavy, Floyd, Sale, Humber

Bullpen: Stewart, Santiago, Bruney, Ohman, Crain, Thornton, Reed (closer)

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 11:32 AM)
Is Jordan Danks doomed to a life as a minor leaguer?

If he can cut back on K's, I think there's a real good chance he gets called up at some point. Having very little minor league depth is at his advantage right now.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 11:33 AM)
I'm going with Olmedo, Gimenez, Axelrod, Stults, Septimo, and Jones as the last 6 to get cut.

Opening Day lineup: De Aza, Morel, Rios, Konerko, Dunn, Ramirez, Pierzynski, Viciedo, Beckham

Bench: Lillibridge, Fukudome, Escobar, Flowers

Rotation: Danks, Peavy, Floyd, Sale, Humber

Bullpen: Stewart, Santiago, Bruney, Ohman, Crain, Thornton, Reed (closer)

Reed hasn't looked all that great so far in camp, so I am not sure they give him the closing job... yet.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 11:12 AM)
Reed hasn't looked all that great so far in camp, so I am not sure they give him the closing job... yet.

I can't see them having the stones to give it to anyone but Thornton, which worries me.

Edit: Maybe they just go by committee at first. That's what I would do.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 12:14 PM)
I can't see them having the stones to give it to anyone but Thornton, which worries me.

Edit: Maybe they just go by committee at first. That's what I would do.

That is also the best way to work a guy like Reed into the job. Pick the optimal match ups at first, and if he responds, move him into tough situations. If he succeeds, he takes over the closers role.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 12:12 PM)

I guess I'm so against Thornton closing, I can't bring myself to giving it to him.

Mark Gonzales thinks it'll be Reed or Santiago. We'll see. It may be one of those evolving things in April where it's just matchups, and then one guy just keeps getting opportunities and then it's obvious without announcing anything.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 12:32 PM)
Is Jordan Danks doomed to a life as a minor leaguer?

He might get a decent job as a defensive backup who can play all 3 positions and hits LH on a few teams. The sox just have those roles covered for this year.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 11:09 AM)
I was hoping for one less pitcher and Johnson and Escobar both making it though I knew that was unlikely. Escobar has sure earned a spot. As for Johnson, I wish him the best. He's a really nice guy.

My second guessing would have kept johnson for at least the first couple of weeks going with a spot 5th starter. a little more time to decide because i think johnson could help with his lh bat in the right situation. The best pitching comes later in the season. Hitting will be our #1 problem and I'm guessing it will not be our 5th starter wh in his 2 or 3 starts will not be as much of a factor as having the right person off the bench.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 03:37 PM)
My second guessing would have kept johnson for at least the first couple of weeks going with a spot 5th starter. a little more time to decide because i think johnson could help with his lh bat in the right situation. The best pitching comes later in the season. Hitting will be our #1 problem and I'm guessing it will not be our 5th starter wh in his 2 or 3 starts will not be as much of a factor as having the right person off the bench.

No way they're going to start off the season using Mr. Offday as the 5th starter, not with the durability questions on so many of the arms in the rotation. They're going with 12 pitchers even with offdays because they're so concerned about that.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 01:37 PM)

Don't they only have like 1 off day in all of April?

Haven't watched many ST games this year, but when I did, I was somewhat impressed by Johnson. Although, by just looking at the stats, I understand why Escobar was chosen before him (batting .471) and having a backup IF is better than a backup 1B.

QUOTE (IowanSoxFan @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 04:55 PM)
Haven't watched many ST games this year, but when I did, I was somewhat impressed by Johnson. Although, by just looking at the stats, I understand why Escobar was chosen before him (batting .471) and having a backup IF is better than a backup 1B.

Seems we have a number of players that can play first (to varying levels) with Dunn, Viciedo, and super-sub Lillibridge so a backup IF makes the most sense.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 10:53 AM)

Thanks for playing Dan Johnson. Only this team would wait this long to send you packing.