Sox announce cuts

southsider2k5

QUOTE (IowanSoxFan @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 05:55 PM)
Haven't watched many ST games this year, but when I did, I was somewhat impressed by Johnson. Although, by just looking at the stats, I understand why Escobar was chosen before him (batting .471) and having a backup IF is better than a backup 1B.

Career .235/.334/.405./739. The guy hasn't hit over .200 in four years and has no business on any MLB roster.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 09:50 PM)
Thanks for playing Dan Johnson. Only this team would wait this long to send you packing.

I'm sure there's thousands of examples in baseball history of teams cutting veterans over one week before the regular season begins. If anything, they've given him a LOT more time to find another home than organizations that wait until the last 2-3 days before the season begins to make their final roster cuts.

If he's deserving of a job on a major league roster, he'll get one. Otherwise he'll be on standby in AAA somewhere.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 12:38 AM)
I'm sure there's thousands of examples in baseball history of teams cutting veterans over one week before the regular season begins. If anything, they've given him a LOT more time to find another home than organizations that wait until the last 2-3 days before the season begins to make their final roster cuts.

If he's deserving of a job on a major league roster, he'll get one. Otherwise he'll be on standby in AAA somewhere.

No. Only this team. Because everything they do is wrong.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 09:00 AM)
I think it was more a shot at the Sox for having a player as pathetic as Dan Johnson in the roster mix up to a week before the season starts than a respect thing.

That makes it even worse. We are talking about the 25th man on the roster. Looking around MLB we aren't exactly talking about stud players here.

Misunderstood as well, I guess.

I'm sure there are 10-15 "25th players" out there who are just as bad or worse, or the final reliever out of the pen is a bit of a joke.

Even the Yankees, Red Sox and Phillies.

Heck, the Phillies are populated with ex-Sox stars like Contreras, Pierre and Pods.