Sox/Rox spring game thread 3/28

Dan Johnson still sticking around? Going to accept minor league contract and not ask to be released? I thought that he would bolt to another team if he didn't make our team. Well, I take that as good news. Not a bad player to have at AAA as an insurance player.

Edited by sunofgold

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 04:22 PM)
Dan Johnson still sticking around? Going to accept minor league contract and not ask to be released? I thought that he would bolt to another team if he didn't make our team. Well, I take that as good news. Not a bad player to have at AAA as an insurance player.

He did sign a "Minor league contract" so I don't expect that he can be released just by not making the team.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 03:29 PM)
He did sign a "Minor league contract" so I don't expect that he can be released just by not making the team.

I don't know if it was the case or not, but many people have release dates written into their contracts. For example, if Juan Pierre isn't on the Phillies roster after 3/31, he has to be released, not sent down, despite being on a minor league deal. Pods has a June 1 deadline.

Couldn't Johnson just request to terminate the minor league contract? Wouldn't the White Sox or any other team agree to end the contract? Why keep a guy around who wants to be released?

The Fukudome signing hurt Johnson's chances of making the team. He signed on before Fukudome did. If Fukudome isn't on the team, then Johnson probably would have made it.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 03:22 PM)

Perhaps he realizes that his best chance to make a MLB team is still with the White Sox.

He's no stranger to the minor leagues.

Axelrod with a meh outing. Stewart is probably making the team. Doyle will relieve next inning.

Lillibridge came out early. Might be a leg injury on a play earlier in the game.

edit: Axelrod still in there to start the 6th

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 03:22 PM)

I like this. Couldn't think of a better way of keeping him.

Marcus Leyson Septimien now at SS.

He always confuses Alexei Ramirez and Alex Rodriguez and somehow their names get jumbled.

Well, clarity is emerging, Stewart over Axelrod, along with Bruney, the 6th/7th guys out of the pen.

Tyler Flowers has hit pretty well this spring.

Beckham has picked it up, 2 doubles and close to a .300 average again.

Big concerns still with Alex Rios, and his OPS down under the magical .600 mark again.

That has to be another reason we are keeping Escobar, because there's a good chance that Ventura will have to go back to Lillbridge and/or Fukudome to play for Rios, whichever one is hot.

Viciedo 3 for his last 5, although one of them was a blooper.

Has someone ever emailed Brooks and ask why the sox seem to think it's okay to let a crazy old man announce games? I mean, s***, I know the webcast is free and we should be thankful but could we get someone just a little more professional? Or is it mandatory to have a former player involved in EVERY ASPECT of the team? haha

I can't imagine an announcing team of Moose Skowron, Minnie Minoso and/or Billy Pierce would be any worse.

Billy Pierce is very insightful, and Skowron could do a better job of entertaining us from his hospital bed watching a feed than Melton does actually being present.

Plus, we have to put up with him at Comcast.

Seriously, it would be better with Mark Gonzales, Phil Rogers or Joe Cowley announcing. Definitely the beat writers could do 10X better than Melton, as well as Rongey and Merkin, who actually pay attention to what's going on with the team.

If they're trying to reach out to Asian and Hispanic markets, they should use the new pair from orgullosox.com for an inning or two, and find Japanese/Korean locals (hopefully Sox or Fukudome fans) to do an inning or two as well. What could it hurt? It would be better to give new blood some experience, rather than the same old nonsense.

If it was purely from a marketing perspective, having Boyer talking about upcoming special events and ticket packages would be more effective than Harry Caray's long-lost brother.

Edited by caulfield12