The Official Thread for Joe Cowley and his Agenda.

Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 11:06 AM)
Cowley needs everyone to forget that the goal this year is rebuilding from last years debacle of a manager who had quit on his team. It's the only way he can call for KW to lose his job this year, when the years goal should really be rebuilding and recovering. So you get articles like this saying kw needs to be gone if the team isn't competitive and statements about how we need to forget all the previous staffs failures while still believing every negative thing the previous staff says about kw.

The bodies that were in front of KW were Walker and Ozzie. This isn't his first year in the organization. There are very, very few players that were here when he arrived. He can't duck responsibility for this season. The standards may be lower, but they have to meet some standard.

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 11:14 AM)
Rebuild with what? If this current crop fails, the GM who has built the worst farm system in MLB should not preside over any rebuilding.

Yep if the current players are bad on the MLB squad, we have NOBODY to bring up from the farm who can help. And that is a terrible situation to be in. They are throwing all of there eggs in the MLB roster's basket. After this season, this team will need to shed even more salary and pretty much start from the bottom up. We need to start rebuilding the farm. Can KW even do that? I have been a huge fan of KW over the years, but his inability to build a strong farm is finally effecting the current state of the organization.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 11:08 AM)
Is anyone else in favor of just one "Joe Cowley b****es about the White Sox" omnibus thread? Personally I am f***ing sick of the agenda, and would love to see it not pollute anymore threads than it has to

The thread should be how responsible is Williams for this season and is his job on the line. So far that seemed to be the thread. I don't think it really matters who brings it up.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 10:28 AM)
Yep if the current players are bad on the MLB squad, we have NOBODY to bring up from the farm who can help. And that is a terrible situation to be in. They are throwing all of there eggs in the MLB roster's basket. After this season, this team will need to shed even more salary and pretty much start from the bottom up. We need to start rebuilding the farm. Can KW even do that? I have been a huge fan of KW over the years, but his inability to build a strong farm is finally effecting the current state of the organization.

We're already going to lose Peavy, AJ and Floyd.

That's a pretty large chunk of salaries, right there.

Then, you might also see Crain and/or Thornton moved, other than Danks/Konerko/Dunn/Rios, the majority of big salaried players are going to be off the books.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 11:08 AM)
Is anyone else in favor of just one "Joe Cowley b****es about the White Sox" omnibus thread? Personally I am f***ing sick of the agenda, and would love to see it not pollute anymore threads than it has to

Yes. Call it "Marty loves Cowley"

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 10:06 AM)
Cowley needs everyone to forget that the goal this year is rebuilding from last years debacle of a manager who had quit on his team. It's the only way he can call for KW to lose his job this year, when the years goal should really be rebuilding and recovering. So you get articles like this saying kw needs to be gone if the team isn't competitive and statements about how we need to forget all the previous staffs failures while still believing every negative thing the previous staff says about kw.

Thank you! If quitter Ozzie hadn't screwed up the team by demanding yet another unearned extension just as the Sox were fighting their way back into the pennant race, maybe the Sox wouldn't have had to let Buehrle go or dump Quentin's salary and maybe they wouldn't have been so quick to trade Santos.

And to anyone who disputes that Ozzie was/is a quitter, just think back to 2005 when the Sox went through that rough stretch late in the season and Ozzie's response was to publicly declare that he just might quit after the season. The Sox turned it around in spite of Ozzie because they weren't yet sick of his act, so after the World Series win he magnanimously said he would be coming back.

With the talent KW gave Ozzie over the years he should have at least produced a couple more division titles. Success breeds success, failure breeds failure.

KW doesn't get a pass either, but this year he is saddled with the task of turning the team around after Ozzie f***ed it up over the past few years.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 11:44 AM)
Thank you! If quitter Ozzie hadn't screwed up the team by demanding yet another unearned extension just as the Sox were fighting their way back into the pennant race, maybe the Sox wouldn't have had to let Buehrle go or dump Quentin's salary and maybe they wouldn't have been so quick to trade Santos.

And to anyone who disputes that Ozzie was/is a quitter, just think back to 2005 when the Sox went through that rough stretch late in the season and Ozzie's response was to publicly declare that he just might quit after the season. The Sox turned it around in spite of Ozzie because they weren't yet sick of his act, so after the World Series win he magnanimously said he would be coming back.

With the talent KW gave Ozzie over the years he should have at least produced a couple more division titles. Success breeds success, failure breeds failure.

KW doesn't get a pass either, but this year he is saddled with the task of turning the team around after Ozzie f***ed it up over the past few years.

Thtat's all fine and good, but we can't also blame Ozzie for Carlos' tendency to get injured at the drop of a hat, for Alex Rios/Dunn/Peavy/Beckham's 2011 seasons...virtually nobody was for signing Mark Buehrle for the same contract he received from the Marlins.

Coming off a better season (in terms of wins and losses) or another successful playoff appearance, Mark might have been even more expensive to re-sign for us.

In the end, they almost HAD to open up a spot for Viciedo, and they simply couldn't afford to have an outfield with Viciedo/Quentin on the corners and Rios playing CF again so uncomfortably like he did last year.

None of these are Ozzie Guillen problems, they're all KW self-induced ones.

Molina was all about the fact that we hadn't produced our own internal candidates for the 2013 starting rotation...which is also on KW. That's been rectified to some extent, but to imagine the likes of Stewart/Castro/Axelrod going up against the Tigers, well, not a pretty sight surely.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 11:57 AM)
What is this agenda that so angers Soxtalk?

Part 1: ask board why everyone doesn't like Cowley

Part 2: ask board to explain agenda

Part 3: dispute agenda, despite proof of agenda being provided over and over and over.

Part 4: giggle, repeat game in a few days.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 12:03 PM)
I'm asking you since you brought it up.

I'm not getting into it again with you. You know why, this board has told you a million times. No need to repeat what has already been said. Continue to play naïve, carry on carry on

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 12:05 PM)
I'm not getting into it again with you. You know why, this board has told you a million times. No need to repeat what has already been said. Continue to play naïve, carry on carry on

Fair enough. There is no reason.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 11:08 AM)
Fair enough. There is no reason.

can we do a new soxtalk award for most annoying poster? i know i'd probably be nominated (my 'buster posts... lol), but i'd be honored to lose to a guy like marty.

Edited by Reddy

I'll do it briefly.

Cowley's agenda:

1. Cowley.

2. Destroy KW.

3. Ride in Ozzie's jetstream.

4. Discredit Tribune.

For proof, read his columns and tweets.

I note, though, that, despite the agenda, he is still often correct and does get info before others.

Edited by bobryansson

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 11:05 AM)
If we don't compete it is because the team that KW assembled isn't very good. I don't see how he his job status can be thought of as safe.

His job status is safe for a couple years probably. The reason is that they could have fired him after last season, but decided to keep him on. It would make little sense to fire a guy one year into his rebuilding/retooling plan. If they thought he wasn't capable of handling the job, the time to fire him was last season.

QUOTE (bobryansson @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 12:13 PM)
I'll do it briefly.

Cowley's agenda:

1. Cowley.

2. Destroy KW.

3. Ride in Ozzie's jetstream.

4. Discredit Tribune.

For proof, read his columns and tweets.

I note, though, that, despite the agenda, he is still often correct and does get info before others.

I agree with this, but why does it anger Soxtalk so much? Why do people care about him destroying Williams when Williams himself has done such an awful job the last three years?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 11:18 AM)
I agree with this, but why does it anger Soxtalk so much? Why do people care about him destroying Williams when Williams himself has done such an awful job the last three years?

1) he intentionally tries to make the sox look bad article after article after article. 2) not everyone hates kenny as much as you. yeah, these haven't been a great few years, but he DID have an amazing string of years leading up to and after '05. he seems to do better on a budget and makes bad moves when given free reign. I'm interested to see how he does now that we're holding back again.

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 11:28 AM)
The bodies that were in front of KW were Walker and Ozzie. This isn't his first year in the organization. There are very, very few players that were here when he arrived. He can't duck responsibility for this season. The standards may be lower, but they have to meet some standard.

That standard though cannot be wins and losses, not after $25 million in salary cuts. That standard is all about development and setting up for 2013.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 01:05 PM)
That standard though cannot be wins and losses, not after $25 million in salary cuts. That standard is all about development and setting up for 2013.

Who are you going to build around in 2013 that isn't already on the 2012 roster? This isn't a young team and there is no bumper crop of youngsters in the wings.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 12:18 PM)

Mostly because he has done a good job over his tenure here. More playoff appearances than in the 30 years before him. One of the better winning % in baseball. I know you're going to complain about the last 3 years and you're right. However, not everyone is that short sighted and like it or not JR is going to give him a chance to fix it. If the young players show progress he will be around at least 2 years after this one.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 01:15 PM)
Mostly because he has done a good job over his tenure here. More playoff appearances than in the 30 years before him. One of the better winning % in baseball. I know you're going to complain about the last 3 years and you're right. However, not everyone is that short sighted and like it or not JR is going to give him a chance to fix it. If the young players show progress he will be around at least 2 years after this one.

If the young players don't progress this organization is in a real bad situation. Hawk Harrelson-GM-era bad.