The Official Thread for Joe Cowley and his Agenda.

Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 29, 2012 -> 05:18 PM)
Well, the "act" might have just cost him his career. If it is an act, Joe may have realized it too late, "bra".

They have links to his twitter on the Suntimes website. For some reason I really doubt his bosses appreciate the "act" he had today.

Right, they absolutely hate that Cowley is breaking national news and the words Chicago Sun-Times are out there. This won't affect him one iota. The Twitter account will be back up in a week.

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 09:43 AM)
Right, they absolutely hate that Cowley is breaking national news and the words Chicago Sun-Times are out there. This won't affect him one iota. The Twitter account will be back up in a week.

I don't disagree with you in regards to whether he will get fired or not, but the "all publicity is good publicity" does have one exception, and that is going after protected groups, whether it be minorities, women, etc...

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 10:43 AM)

Mariotti did it for decades. As much as I would like to see Joe gone, I can't see it happening. Honestly I think if he doesn't delete his whole twitter account, no one is even really talking about this.

Pretty much what I was just saying...

Matt Spiegel ‏ @MattSpiegel670

(1 of 2) To all those asking me to tweet about Cowley: Yesterday was not some new chapter in his act; he's always been that guy.

(2 of 2) What IS new is him not standing by it, defiantly. Deletion of his account is a story.Have no idea whether that’s him or his bosses.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 10:43 AM)

Women who work at the ST might disagree with you and if you really think this will increase their subscription level I totally disagree. He is in trouble. Maybe not fired like he deserves but there will be something.u

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 11:23 AM)
Pretty much what I was just saying...

Matt Spiegel ‏ @MattSpiegel670

(1 of 2) To all those asking me to tweet about Cowley: Yesterday was not some new chapter in his act; he's always been that guy.

(2 of 2) What IS new is him not standing by it, defiantly. Deletion of his account is a story.Have no idea whether that’s him or his bosses.

Get over yourself, Matt Spiegel. The NFL Draft and worst injury ever happened over the weekend and the dude wanted to waste my time with Joe Cowley? Waddle and Silvy are killing it today, and Wilbon was great.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 12:47 PM)
Get over yourself, Matt Spiegel. The NFL Draft and worst injury ever happened over the weekend and the dude wanted to waste my time with Joe Cowley? Waddle and Silvy are killing it today, and Wilbon was great.

Joe Theisman says "hi!"

Salon magazine writer taking her shot...

http://www.salon.com/2012/04/30/lessons_fr...reck/singleton/

In November 2009, a Chicago White Sox fan blog posted a report that their sources had said the White Sox were having preliminarily discussions to acquire Adrian Gonzalez from the San Diego Padres in a three-way deal.[2] Cowley called the blogger a "trekkie turned blogger" who wrote from his basement.[3] Cowley occasionally mocks SoxNet.net on Twitter and on the radio from time to time.[4] Cowley's initial mocking prompted a response from the SoxNet.net blog calling his attacks "unprofessional, offensive, and completely inappropriate".[5] Cowley replied, but SoxNet.net opted not post his reply, calling Cowley's initial attack "mature" compared to his response.[6]

What is SoxNet.net? Someone should correct the wikipedia entry...

Ban Johnson

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 01:36 AM +0900

Twitter is a spontaneous medium -- lots of comments might make sense in a particular context -- snark about a TV show or sporting event, for instance -- but come off as petty, trivial, whatever, when meant to stand as permanent markers of oneself. I use Twitter for the social/interactive element, but then erase 3/4 of what I've posted eventually...which isn't any more cowardly than not wanting my verbal conversations recorded for posterity. First of all, I don't want to be reminded of past moods that no longer have any context in which to make sense. Second, we live in an extraordinarily petty culture that LOVES taking offense, feeling superior, judging, twisting words out of context...why give anyone ammunition?

I, for one, think the pitter patter was sort of amusing. However, I am shocked... SHOCKED that someone was boozing on a plane.

Maybe the old saying should be updated: Twitter doesn't build character, it exposes it. We're in the middle of the era of that false expert. People and TV spout off about subjects they don't know all the time. TV pundits on CNN have shown over time to be less than 50% accurate about any given subject. Twitter's hair trigger simply exposes these people as windbags... that's all.

Hilarious the someone made the exact same point about Cowley that the Marlins and Samson/Loria had to make to Cowley's mentor who's about to lose 8 out 9

Edited by caulfield12

Ted Gruber ‏ @tedgruber

So a little birdie told me Mr. Cowley is suspended indefinitely and might be headed for a permanent vacation in the next few days.

Craig Calcaterra ‏ @craigcalcaterra

Cowley's job at risk at the Sun-Times? Well, good thing he's maintained good relationships with brass at the Tribune.

Rumor mongering from the Twitters

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 02:37 PM)
I think this is a case of waiting for an excuse to get him.

I know Jay was hated by his "peers" at the ST. Has Planet Cowleywood reached the same ego heights? I will say the story of Jay getting fired was one of my all time favorites.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 02:33 PM)
Wow. I am shocked. Suspension I could believe. Firing? Wow.

They might not have a choice. I'm sure their HR dept. has been talking to a Labor attorney. Giving Joe special treatment could cost them a lot of money.

Edited by Dick Allen

If Cowley is suspended that is stupid.

He's a f***ing sportswriter.

Sportswriter's travel a lot and have opinions.

People who dissent can call him out and put their opinion on twitter as well.

He calls flite attendants ugly? Big f***ing deal. They can come back and say passengers who sleep with their mouths open like sportswriters are uglier.

He rips the female pilot? Why can't somebody just come back and call him sexist and make their point? Somebody could point out that a lot of the medical personnel who treated him over his medical problem were uh, FEMALES. Intelligent, brilliant females. Fight back instead of being politically correct.

Why should he be fired for bad humor???

If he threatens somebody's life and MEANS IT ... fine.

he did notthing really wrong but represent himself like a sexist jerk.

Those he offended can blast back, but fire him??? Grow up world.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 03:02 PM)

He calls flite attendants ugly? Big f***ing deal. They can come back and say passengers who sleep with their mouths open like sportswriters are uglier.

He rips the female flight attendant? Why can't somebody just come back and call him sexist and make their point?

Hostile work environment.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 03:02 PM)

He rips the female flight attendant? Why can't somebody just come back and call him sexist and make their point?

And if you did that in your workplace, you'd be in trouble too. Welcome to reality.

Yes, Twitter is part of his workplace, since he uses it for work. Again, welcome to reality, 21st century style.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 08:04 PM)
Hostile work environment.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 08:04 PM)
And if you did that in your workplace, you'd be in trouble too. Welcome to reality.

Yes, Twitter is part of his workplace, since he uses it for work. Again, welcome to reality, 21st century style.

1.) What do you mean hostile work environment? He was on a plane working.

2.) Yes but what I'm saying is he didn't tweet anything that would cause his firing or suspension.

Calling flite attendants ugly and calling out the pilot for being a woman?

He's a f***ing sportswriter. They travel ... a lot.

They can fight back and call him an ugly motherf***er. It goes both ways.

As a columnist he's part comedian. Bad humor, of course, but fireable.

America has been pussified. Grow up America.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 03:08 PM)
1.) What do you mean hostile work environment? He was on a plane working.

2.) Yes but what I'm saying is he didn't tweet anything that would cause his firing or suspension.

Calling flite attendants ugly and calling out the pilot for being a woman?

He's a f***ing sportswriter. They travel ... a lot.

They can fight back and call him an ugly motherf***er. It goes both ways.

They have to treat him the same way the would treat a guy who works in the mailroom who said the same thing in the middle of the Sun Times office.

Joe may have done himself in. Go figure.