The Official Thread for Joe Cowley and his Agenda.

Jack Parkman

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alisa M. Alexander (@almonnier) on Twitter

#Storyteller #Connector #Chicagoan VP of Public Relations and Community Engagement for Wrapports, owner of the Chicago Sun-Times.

twitter.com/almonnier - Cached

Okay, someone has to do it! I don't have a Twitter account.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/alisamonnier

Alisa, you might look cute in a "girl next door, my maiden name or middle name is MONNIER (that's MOAHN-YAY to us 99%ers that don't hobnob with Guiliana Rancic and the Top Chef) and wearing glasses makes me look older and more sophisticated" way

BUT you "really need to hottie up that picture" so you can be the object of Joe Cowley's dreams and desires!!!

Edited by caulfield12

I must admit, I'm completely oblivious about how to use Twitter because most of this time since it became truly popular, I was in China and it's blocked unless you use a VPN or proxy and there was really nobody interesting worth following until recently.

I will be interested in seeing if DeLuca, Telander or Phil Rogers reply with a personal comment. In the past, Phil Rogers, the couple of times I sent him something, always responded promptly and informatively. In this case, they're probably afraid to say anything for public consumption on this situation, except to say it's "unfortunate" and blah blah blah.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 1, 2012 -> 08:35 AM)
There is no free speech argument...it's not like anyone's going to put him in prison for being obnoxious or anything...

Just because I have a right to free speech doesn't mean I can go tell my boss to go f himself and not expect to get canned within 3 seconds...

Thank you. I am so tired of this argument of free speech in regards to private employment.

Joe could absolutely be fired for this, and would have zero grounds for a lawsuit. Illinois is not a right to work state, and you don't even need a reason for termination, as long as it is not based on discrimination.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 1, 2012 -> 12:08 PM)
I must admit, I'm completely oblivious about how to use Twitter because most of this time since it became truly popular, I was in China and it's blocked unless you use a VPN or proxy and there was really nobody interesting worth following until recently.

I will be interested in seeing if DeLuca, Telander or Phil Rogers reply with a personal comment. In the past, Phil Rogers, the couple of times I sent him something, always responded promptly and informatively. In this case, they're probably afraid to say anything for public consumption on this situation, except to say it's "unfortunate" and blah blah blah.

I would imagine the fact that you have no followers, and follow hardly anyone (that might be changing), will make it seem very single-use and probably those tweets won't be worth a reply to this mini celebs.

From the Tribune:

By Monday, Cowley's Twitter account @cst_cowley had been deleted, but the dialogue was not so easily expunged from the Internet. Cowley's regular work appeared in the paper Tuesday, but his extracurricular writing did not go unnoticed by new Sun-Times editor-in-chief Jim Kirk.

"Recently, a reporter in our newsroom, Joe Cowley, made offensive comments on his Twitter account," Kirk said Tuesday. "The Chicago Sun-Times is an institution with important social responsibilities, and we expect those who represent our paper to act with the respect and sensitivity that our readers deserve. Mr. Cowley's remarks were offensive and he has been reprimanded appropriately."

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 1, 2012 -> 07:12 PM)
From the Tribune:

By Monday, Cowley's Twitter account @cst_cowley had been deleted, but the dialogue was not so easily expunged from the Internet. Cowley's regular work appeared in the paper Tuesday, but his extracurricular writing did not go unnoticed by new Sun-Times editor-in-chief Jim Kirk.

"Recently, a reporter in our newsroom, Joe Cowley, made offensive comments on his Twitter account," Kirk said Tuesday. "The Chicago Sun-Times is an institution with important social responsibilities, and we expect those who represent our paper to act with the respect and sensitivity that our readers deserve. Mr. Cowley's remarks were offensive and he has been reprimanded appropriately."

Cowley was given a slap on the wrist and warned probably? That's about right. He's going to have to watch himself. I'd think he'll get a new twitter account when this blows over and it'll be monitored much more closely. Obviously nobody of power at the ST was reading his twitter account. I don't think it was a fireable offense but many do, so he's lucky he survived this. Nobody is irreplaceable and he probably knows that now. He should have known it after Mariotti. Nobody misses Jay now and it was a big deal back when he left.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 1, 2012 -> 01:12 PM)
From the Tribune:

So pretty much they took away his twitter, and that is it. The Sun Times is a garbage tabloid, this only proves that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 1, 2012 -> 08:52 PM)
So pretty much they took away his twitter, and that is it. The Sun Times is a garbage tabloid, this only proves that.

You really think the guy should have been suspended or fired for ill advised twitter humor?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 1, 2012 -> 02:52 PM)

While I wouldn't want to have to answer to my bosses for that kind of thing, I can't say I'm up in arms about the punishment. The most important thing is he's been humiliated publicly and they took away his big ego-stroking soapbox, Twitter. Perhaps if he spends less time running his mouth on Twitter, he'll put together a coherent/thought-out/worthwhile column.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 1, 2012 -> 04:32 PM)
You really think the guy should have been suspended or fired for ill advised twitter humor?

So Greg, you at least you admit that YOU would be fired at YOUR workplace if you said those things, yes or no?

And your defense of Cowley and Ozzie is that you're NOT a public figure and that you're NOT paid to be OR encouraged by your superiors to be entertaining/clever/humorous/opinionated/controversial and to drive web traffic and subscriptions, right?

I'm guessing you definitely didn't follow my advice to repeat any of those things and see what happens/happened...

Edited by caulfield12

He probably has to do something, maybe go for some training or something, but he's very lucky. I guess this means all racists and sexists working at the ST can probably not worry about losing their job if they slip and say something at work, or if they just get pissed off and start popping off. If the ST fired them for the same thing they let Cowley get away with, they most likely will be required to pay their fired employees in full, and maybe even more.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 1, 2012 -> 06:19 PM)
He probably has to do something, maybe go for some training or something, but he's very lucky. I guess this means all racists and sexists working at the ST can probably not worry about losing their job if they slip and say something at work, or if they just get pissed off and start popping off. If the ST fired them for the same thing they let Cowley get away with, they most likely will be required to pay their fired employees in full, and maybe even more.

And if you are an aspiring racist and/or sexist the Sun Times is for you!

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 1, 2012 -> 06:19 PM)

Nope...it doesn't work that way...

Woah, go out of town for a weekend and come back to this! I had to do a lot of digging to find the original story, but it's not at all surprising. The 19 year old male has always been his persona for some reason. I hope it's not genuine -- you'd think having a job at a newspaper would force him to grow up a little bit, or at least stumble upon some professionalism -- but I see no evidence to that effect.

So he HASN'T been suspended? That's stupid. Those were some very clearly offensive statements made using the CST moniker. There really is no debate there. I don't care if you were personally offended or not, that sort of commentary was simply inappropriate by any standard.

Oh well, it's only a matter of time before his besmirched reputation catches up with him and costs him his job permanently. On the whole, Chicago won't put up with his bulls*** long enough for his antics to generate a net gain for the CST. His days are numbered.