The Official Thread for Joe Cowley and his Agenda.

Jack Parkman

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 2, 2012 -> 12:16 PM)
Greg, if someone insulted you personally on this website repeatedly and when confronted by an admin, claimed it was their "wrestling personality" and they were a good guy, would you accept that?

See, it depends if the poster had the wrestling persona all the time.

Cowley as was stated by Telander thought his followers got it, got his persona.

I think what happened is the right thing. They told him to cut it out. He killed his twitter account. It'll return and he'll post dull comments during games.

His little twitter game is over.

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 2, 2012 -> 04:29 PM)
See, it depends if the poster had the wrestling persona all the time.

Cowley as was stated by Telander thought his followers got it, got his persona.

I think what happened is the right thing. They told him to cut it out. He killed his twitter account. It'll return and he'll post dull comments during games.

His little twitter game is over.

Ah, so the tenured writer backs up his coworker and it is ok.

So again, if someone insults you among many other people on this site, and cites a wrestling "heel" persona as the reason, you are ok with that?

One thing I don't understand about Cowley getting the intern fired, (I do think the kid deserved his fate) but if this wrestling heel persona is what Cowley was using, wasn't his goal pissing people off and getting the exact reaction the kid gave him? Maybe there is some good in this. Perhaps Cowley will take his job seriously and become a respected writer. If the twitter being taken away is a temporary thing, I don't think it will happen, but if he's off the twitter, he has a chance.

If Cowley returns to tweeting, he'll either get fired, or get another final warning.

Edited by Dick Allen

So, Greg, there's a member here who we won't name but who has a tendency to attack/mock/deride General Manager Kenny Williams at all turns (hint, his member name has a number the same as Kirby Puckett)....would you consider his posting style to be typical of a "fake internet persona" that was fabricated just for fun and to get our goats or can you actually distinguish that person's "real" writing style, true intentions and not the one they may or may not be projecting here at SoxTalk?

Is that a practical and easy thing to do, to ascertain what's truly in someone's meaning when they write or post?

Better yet, when you watch Entourage with your family, can you help them to distinguish between him in real life, him acting like he's performing in real life but is actually on a t.v. show and his stand-up performance routines?

When does one line end and the other begin? Easy to see which is which? You can't understand why some might be confused, too?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 2, 2012 -> 07:16 AM)
Greg, if someone insulted you personally on this website repeatedly and when confronted by an admin, claimed it was their "wrestling personality" and they were a good guy, would you accept that?

haha yes. promote them to admin!

QUOTE (mr_genius @ May 2, 2012 -> 06:53 PM)
haha yes. promote them to admin!

At the very least, make them a fellow mod to neutralize them.

Promote them from a beat writer's position to "feature columnist." Make sure their picture is prominently featured at the website and across the social media networks/blogosphere.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 2, 2012 -> 06:50 PM)
One thing I don't understand about Cowley getting the intern fired, (I do think the kid deserved his fate) but if this wrestling heel persona is what Cowley was using, wasn't his goal pissing people off and getting the exact reaction the kid gave him? Maybe there is some good in this. Perhaps Cowley will take his job seriously and become a respected writer. If the twitter being taken away is a temporary thing, I don't think it will happen, but if he's off the twitter, he has a chance.

If Cowley returns to tweeting, he'll either get fired, or get another final warning.

Those are the little things that make me think the whole "act" thing is BS. It sounds like the dude is a pompous ass who thinks he is better than everyone else.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2012 -> 08:45 PM)
Those are the little things that make me think the whole "act" thing is BS. It sounds like the dude is a pompous ass who thinks he is better than everyone else.

Like most good bullies, he doesn't like it when that same act is turned against him or anyone doesn't prostrate themselves before him like he's Loki or something.

Hence, his pride in always ending every argument on his own terms, un-following, getting THE last word in.

I would suggest one of his "steps" in recovery/therapy should be watching the new movie of the same name (BULLY) to understand it from someone else's perspective. Still not 100% sure he'd actually "get" it.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 2, 2012 -> 11:28 PM)
Ah, so the tenured writer backs up his coworker and it is ok.

So again, if someone insults you among many other people on this site, and cites a wrestling "heel" persona as the reason, you are ok with that?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2012 -> 12:52 AM)
So, Greg, there's a member here who we won't name but who has a tendency to attack/mock/deride General Manager Kenny Williams at all turns (hint, his member name has a number the same as Kirby Puckett)....would you consider his posting style to be typical of a "fake internet persona" that was fabricated just for fun and to get our goats or can you actually distinguish that person's "real" writing style, true intentions and not the one they may or may not be projecting here at SoxTalk?

Is that a practical and easy thing to do, to ascertain what's truly in someone's meaning when they write or post?

Better yet, when you watch Entourage with your family, can you help them to distinguish between him in real life, him acting like he's performing in real life but is actually on a t.v. show and his stand-up performance routines?

When does one line end and the other begin? Easy to see which is which? You can't understand why some might be confused, too?

1.) I'd be OK with it if we knew they had that persona all the time. I can't think of anybody on the site that does that, so I guess I'd be mad if that person was mocking/ridiculing me, etc.

2.) I still think you are crazy. I blast KW some, but I do not attack/mock/deride KW at all times. I said I preferred Ozzie to win the mano a mano fight between the two, but my guy lost. I accepted that as well. Yes I will blast Kenny when I can but give me a break.

I think any reasonable person would see Cowley's punishment is perfect. He's been told to basically knock it off. Why fire a talented guy who has gotten a lot of scoops just because he was playing a dangerous game on Twitter. Finally somebody noticed the crap he's been tweeting and now he's been told to knock it off. Now, the game he'll play I predict is "how dull can joe cowley be on twitter?" He'll do what all the writers do, just give a few facts during games, a lot of play by play, maybe a toned down opinion or two. Big brother has ruined his fun so he done.

Edited by greg775

Greg, I wasn't talking about you. Never mind.

And you never answered my Dice Clay question...we'll keep Limbaugh's "persona" out of it for now and how much of that is an act and entertainment versus an expression of his true feelings. And, secondly, how much that SHOULD even matter in terms of excusing speech that some would consider at best harmful in any type of environment, whether the workplace or on the Internet.

What's the difference between Andrew Dice Clay on stage, Andrew Dice Clay portraying himself on a t.v. show and the "real" Dice Clay? Which one can get away with Cowley's comments, which one couldn't? In your mind, is there any difference?

http://www.tmz.com/2006/11/20/kramers-raci...caught-on-tape/

I wanted to use another example. Michael Richards/Kramer from Seinfeld. He was (rightfully) battered and vilified for comments he made while in his "comedian mode." So if he says things like that while either on stage or in the act of personifying Cosmo Kramer (but theoretically not the "real life" Michael Richards), is that not also excusable under the same protection? And what is the difference?

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 2, 2012 -> 10:41 PM)
2.) I still think you are crazy. I blast KW some, but I do not attack/mock/deride KW at all times.

Dude, Kirby Puckett's number was 34. I certainly don't see that in your screen name.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 3, 2012 -> 02:35 PM)
Dude, Kirby Puckett's number was 34. I certainly don't see that in your screen name.

Kirby did wear 775 near the end of his career.

Cowley's a hack. Doesn't "scoop" anything other than one of Ozzie's idiot sons telling him something. The only reason he is being defended by greg and troll34 is because they both have an irrational, blind love of Ozzie and hate KW, just like Cowley.

Edited by Jenksy Cat

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 3, 2012 -> 12:29 AM)
I wanted to use another example. Michael Richards/Kramer from Seinfeld. He was (rightfully) battered and vilified for comments he made while in his "comedian mode." So if he says things like that while either on stage or in the act of personifying Cosmo Kramer (but theoretically not the "real life" Michael Richards), is that not also excusable under the same protection? And what is the difference?

It really depends on who wrote the script and the intent. If an actor is hired to portray a racist, etc. and delivers a credible performance as such, it is wrong to call them a racists.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 4, 2012 -> 04:37 PM)
It really depends on who wrote the script and the intent. If an actor is hired to portray a racist, etc. and delivers a credible performance as such, it is wrong to call them a racists.

If the Sun Times employs a person to portray a misogynist, then truly, anyone who links to that paper should be embarrassed.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 4, 2012 -> 03:41 PM)
If the Sun Times employs a person to portray a misogynist, then truly, anyone who links to that paper should be embarrassed.

I'm not certain why you quoted my post? :huh

QUOTE (Tex @ May 4, 2012 -> 04:44 PM)
I'm not certain why you quoted my post? :huh

Your post seemed to imply that the Sun Times was employing him deliberately to be this particular character, rather than just employing him for other reasons but accepting his "characters" as the consequence of doing business.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 4, 2012 -> 02:49 PM)
Your post seemed to imply that the Sun Times was employing him deliberately to be this particular character, rather than just employing him for other reasons but accepting his "characters" as the consequence of doing business.

I was guessing that he didn't realize the other poster was referring to Richards' standup routine and not his character on Seinfeld...

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 5, 2012 -> 04:23 PM)
Say what you want. Cowley knows his s*** and predicted the Sale thing last January

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/cowley/1023...e-rotation.html

Dude, you are such a f***ing troll. It's starting to get hilarious how hard you're trying. Your attempts to piss off the masses are becoming more and more obvious. Giving Joe Cowley props on this site with completely flawed backup? Lol, give it up.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 5, 2012 -> 11:59 PM)
Dude, you are such a f***ing troll. It's starting to get hilarious how hard you're trying. Your attempts to piss off the masses are becoming more and more obvious. Giving Joe Cowley props on this site with completely flawed backup? Lol, give it up.

Those who know me on here can attest I'm not a troll.

Regarding this particular topic: I saw somebody tweet that link and I read the article and it dawned on me Cowley had this thing pegged corectly re. Sale.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 5, 2012 -> 07:20 PM)
Those who know me on here can attest I'm not a troll.

Regarding this particular topic: I saw somebody tweet that link and I read the article and it dawned on me Cowley had this thing pegged corectly re. Sale.

I think everyone who knows you thinks your a troll and a closet KC fan. I think it's good to take the unpopular route if that's what you truly believe in, but between you and Marty it's just too much trying to create controversy.

You forgot the Marlins/Buehrle.

Actually, I would venture to say that Greg775 probably spends a LOT more time at the White Sox board (I guess it's possible he posts to Royals fan boards too)....but the constant reminders of how poorly we've played against the Royals the last half decade or so make it SEEM as if he's actively rooting for the Royals to win those games.