I like this team.

I guess I should have thought of this for the "appreciate the game " thread but I never gave it much thought since it's an advertising slogan for a product I already like. If you build it, they will come and I'm liking the way it's being built.

Everyone in the media and front office is pretty careful not to make comparisons between the old and new regime. Honestly the Ventura era , however long it may last is a breathe of fresh air. The nonsense went on long enough. I'll love watching the kids play , growing pains and all and it looks like we got a few good ones. Time will tell I suppose just how good. They may not be instant contenders but you never know. I'll be watching as usual and I sincerely hope it's heroic deeds on the field by a team that garner headlines instead of an individual.

How do you really feel about this team ?

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 06:31 AM)
I guess I should have thought of this for the "appreciate the game " thread but I never gave it much thought since it's an advertising slogan for a product I already like. If you build it, they will come and I'm liking the way it's being built.

Everyone in the media and front office is pretty careful not to make comparisons between the old and new regime. Honestly the Ventura era , however long it may last is a breathe of fresh air. The nonsense went on long enough. I'll love watching the kids play , growing pains and all and it looks like we got a few good ones. Time will tell I suppose just how good. They may not be instant contenders but you never know. I'll be watching as usual and I sincerely hope it's heroic deeds on the field by a team that garner headlines instead of an individual.

How do you really feel about this team ?

Once again I didnt' follow spring training, but it's not like we have all kids.

It's a veteran laden team.

I still think we're .500 at best; prolly 10 below.

Other than AJ (on his way out), Peavy (likewise), Ohman, Thornton (likewise, probably), Crain, Rios, Dunn and Konerko, this is very much a mid to late 20's team.

It's quite possible the only "true" veterans on the team in 2013 will be Rios, Dunn and Konerko, and there's really no guarantee that all 3 will still be around.

I feel pretty good about this team. The distractions should be much fewer, and I believe Ventura will do a decent job...maybe even a great job. It comes down to a few keys "ifs", but if Dunn, Rios, and Beckham rebound and if the pitching staff does a good job and stays healthy this team has a chance. The only team I'm really concerned about it Detroit. I see the Sox hanging with them, at least close by for most of the season. I'll stick by my prediction of 82-85 wins.

I'm just excited to see how the organization responds to no longer having Guillen and his family of f***ups. Not just the players, but the coaching staff and even the front office. I think there should be a lot of positive energy throughout the organization and I'm hopeful this will lead to better results. Plus I'm crossing my fingers that Robin, despite his inexperience, will make better in-game decisions than Ozzie. That f*** cost us so many games last year with his ego-driven decisions. At the very least, Robin should bring some much needed toughness and killer instinct that clearly was lacking under Guillen.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 29, 2012 -> 11:34 PM)
Once again I didnt' follow spring training, but it's not like we have all kids.

It's a veteran laden team.

I still think we're .500 at best; prolly 10 below.

I wasn't really talking about what you think their record will be. There's a thread for that. I asked how do you feel. No thinking required . It'll be fun watching Viciedo, Sale, Morel, Beckham, Santiago, Reed, Stewart, Molina, De Aza even the slightly older Lillibridge play. I like the vibe I'm getting about this team.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 08:24 AM)
I wasn't really talking about what you think their record will be. There's a thread for that. I asked how do you feel. No thinking required . It'll be fun watching Viciedo, Sale, Morel, Beckham, Santiago, Reed, Stewart, Molina, De Aza even the slightly older Lillibridge play. I like the vibe I'm getting about this team.

I feel the same way, might change my mind if they start getting blown out series at a time.. but yes, definitely excited for this team.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 11:40 AM)
I hope Viciedo is more fun to watch than frsutrating. Not too encouraged by his spring. He was practically outplayed by Jordan Danks.

Meh. I am not remotely worried about Viciedo's long-term future. He will definitely be a major-league hitter, but the question is whether he's merely above-average or Vlad Guerrero in the end. Either way, we shouldn't judge based on spring training. He's just turned 23 so have a boatload of patience.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 11:42 AM)
Meh. I am not remotely worried about Viciedo's long-term future. He will definitely be a major-league hitter, but the question is whether he's merely above-average or Vlad Guerrero in the end. Either way, we shouldn't judge based on spring training. He's just turned 23 so have a boatload of patience.

I'm extremely worried about Viciedo's future, because he tends to be a slow starter anyway, and this team has an annoying history of rapidly turning people who start off struggling into platoon players because the veteran on the bench needs his at-bats.

Taking the optimist route, but having no expectations, this is what I see as positives:

-If the rotation stays healthy, I think we've got something there

-Finally without all the Ozzie/Coop/KW soap opera, we can see where Peavy's really at

-This year can't possibly be as bad as last year, in that Dunn seems to be back on track, Ozzie's gone, and we've got young talent and we'll find out if they can really play because Ventura doesn't seem like the sort who's going to mismanage players due to some ulterior motive

-Paulie's still here, as is AJ

So why not? My problem last year wasn't so much the losing, it was the total lack of enthusiasm combined with Ozzie's needless sandbagging and the Dunn/Rios fail. Dunn seems in a different place; if Rios can pull his head out of his ass we could actually have some enjoyable games.

Plus hey: it's baseball!

Appreciate the game. ;)

Edited by LVSoxFan

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 10:43 AM)
I'm extremely worried about Viciedo's future, because he tends to be a slow starter anyway, and this team has an annoying history of rapidly turning people who start off struggling into platoon players because the veteran on the bench needs his at-bats.

Or maybe it was the previous manager's distrust of rookies helping him win games. Hopefully Ventura has a little more patience, although from the manager's perspective, you can see why they want to win as many games as possible if a player is struggling.

For me, it comes down to Rios and Peavy. If these two play as I precieve they should, than I will enjoy the White Sox all year, and re-gain the enthusiasm I have lost for the sox.

I used to be a big baseball (White Sox) fan, but now I am nothing more than a fantasy baseball fan. I've no care for any team, just my players. I still have a soft spot in me for the W'sox which is why I check these boards.

I want to see Rios bat like he should, when I drafted him on my team for the past 2-3-4 years (whatever it's been), same with Peavy.

Beckham, Dunn, Danks, Floyd, all have been rough for me.

Will see in this nice new year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 03:43 PM)

I could see KW being quick to trade Viciedo this year, in all honesty.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 05:10 PM)
+1

I feel the same. I have very little expectations for this year, so if our young guys can perform well this season while the team still wins 80-83 games, I think it would be a very successful season. I think I'd much rather see the Sox win 78 games with Beckham, Viciedo and Sale performing well compared to the Sox winning 85 games due to Peavy/Konerko/Alexei having huge seasons.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 09:53 AM)
It's White Sox baseball, so I'll be watching. Simple as that.

Since I have no expectations, it should be a pretty enjoyable season no matter what. Sort of strange.

I'm right there too. I do get a laugh from projections that have the royals, indians and in some forecasts, the twins, all finishing higher than the Sox. Sure, this team might fall on its collective face. I just don't see that. I think they'll have a better record than last year, for sure.

I have a wierd feeling about this team. I know this team won't be as aweful as baseball experts say they will be. I also know this team likely wont win 90 games this year. I like our rotation ( i dont love it). I like our bullpen's young arms (I dont love it). The thing that worries me the most, is our offense. Viciedo has been aweful this spring, Rios and Dunn are coming off terrible seasons and just how long can Konerko carry this team? However, those same guys I just mentioned are also very capable of hitting the hell out of the ball, and if 3 out of the 4 do so, we just may very well steal one of the 2 wild card spots this year.

My final predicition: White Sox win 84 games. Will that be enough to earn one of 2 wild card spots? Only time will tell.

Edited by GreatScott82