Nate Jones makes team as 12th pitcher

flavum

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 31, 2012 -> 12:59 PM)
I know nothing about him nor have heard of him until this spring. Another Santos type find?

He was drafted by the Sox years ago. He's always had good stuff, but throwing strikes has been his problem.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/p...id=jones-001nat

Fun fact: He was born the same day the space shuttle blew up.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 31, 2012 -> 01:09 PM)
So does Stewart go to AAA? If so, I'm cool with Jones.

What happened to Infante?

Infante was one of the first cuts after he was injured. Oblique, if I recall correctly.

The bullpen is set:

Stewart

Jones

Santiago

Ohman

Reed

Crain

Thornton (closer, most likely)

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 31, 2012 -> 11:03 AM)
I kind of feel bad for Bruney. It's hard to do much better than what he did.

Some people blow the doors off in Spring Training, make the team, and take that right on into the season and contribute to the big club. Some people blow the doors off in Spring Training, make the team, and s*** the bed when the bell rings. Based on last season, Bruney would have been the latter...

QUOTE (Cali @ Mar 31, 2012 -> 01:18 PM)
Some people blow the doors off in Spring Training, make the team, and take that right on into the season and contribute to the big club. Some people blow the doors off in Spring Training, make the team, and s*** the bed when the bell rings. Based on last season, Bruney would have been the latter...

And with that said, Nate Jones is probably the most likely to be sent down first.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 31, 2012 -> 01:38 PM)
Mark Gonzales ‏ @MDGonzales

KW says he had Jones on the team two weeks ago but needed the coaches' endorsement. KW has no worries about Escobar's development

He started a full season last year at AAA and he might not be a long term starter anyway. Might as well see what he does with the bench role and start having him get major league coaching, pitching opponents, and paychecks.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 31, 2012 -> 01:20 PM)
And with that said, Nate Jones is probably the most likely to be sent down first.

Yeah, he's not good. If Jones has a sub 5 ERA, Cooper deserves another pay raise. There's almost no chance.

Congratulations, guy I never heard of.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 31, 2012 -> 01:02 PM)
He was drafted by the Sox years ago. He's always had good stuff, but throwing strikes has been his problem.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/p...id=jones-001nat

Fun fact: He was born the same day the space shuttle blew up.

Fun!

I think this is noteworthy/interesting/somewhat disturbing...

There are no African-American players on the Sox 25-man roster, and this will be the first time there isn't an African-American in the opening day starting lineup since 1955.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 31, 2012 -> 01:39 PM)

There are no African-American players on the Sox 25-man roster, and this will be the first time there isn't an African-American in the opening day starting lineup since 1955.

Looks like Jesse Jackson will be holding protests at Sox games now.... I don't see why it matters really.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Mar 31, 2012 -> 01:48 PM)
Looks like Jesse Jackson will be holding protests at Sox games now.... I don't see why it matters really.

Maybe it doesn't matter, but given the history of race in baseball, it's noteworthy.

But thank you for the Jesse Jackson reference right out of the gate.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 31, 2012 -> 02:39 PM)

Yeah, African American representation in the Major Leagues has fallen ~10% in the last couple of decades. I believe, if the Cubs trade Marlon Byrd, there won't be any African American players in the entire city of Chicago. Now THAT'S crazy. Baseball is trying, with that RBI program and whatnot, but I just don't think a love of baseball is being passed down generationally (regardless of race). It's all about the NFL right now.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 31, 2012 -> 11:20 AM)

Oh, totally. But at least give him a shot. He's young with a power arm. It'd be dumb not to see what they had in him in a rebuild year. Bruney had his chance and it's not like he was gonna be the difference maker in the AL Central...

As far as African American players, didn't the Red Sox not have one until like a long time after everyone else integrated? And even after rarely have any black players on their team? Or am I making this up? haha