Nate Jones makes team as 12th pitcher

flavum

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But we also have Ramirez, DeAza, Escobar, Viciedo, Santiago and Rios, 6 players with Hispanic origins. Plus, we've got Fukudome now.

That's right around the average now in baseball, 6-9 Latin Americans per team.

Two of our better prospects in Mitchell and Trayce Thompson are African-American.

There have also been a few times in the last 20 years when the White Sox (I think) started an all-black/Hispanic team.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 31, 2012 -> 04:03 PM)
Bruney's terrible.

Jones may need more minor league time, but he can also K a batter, and he throws hard and has a good curve, from what I've read.

Agree, I'll take Jones any day over Bruney, who we all know sucks. I don't think anyone really knows what we'll get out of Jones. KW mentioned that they made Jones a starter a couple years ago to work on his changeup. Therefore, it's somewhat foolish to over-analyze his minor league numbers. I'll trust KW and Cooper's opinion of him. A refined third pitch and working out of the bullpen could make a significant difference for him. Even if he struggles and needs to get sent down, Bruney will be available. I don't see any harm starting the season with him, especially with K rate he has put up this spring.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 31, 2012 -> 04:22 PM)
But we also have Ramirez, DeAza, Escobar, Viciedo, Santiago and Rios, 6 players with Hispanic origins. Plus, we've got Fukudome now.

That's right around the average now in baseball, 6-9 Latin Americans per team.

Two of our better prospects in Mitchell and Trayce Thompson are African-American.

There have also been a few times in the last 20 years when the White Sox (I think) started an all-black/Hispanic team.

That's it?

Very cool. I always remember being one of the first people to ever even mention this guys name. I was watching him pitch on a backfield and was just blown away by this guy. Had to do some research afterwards and talked to some scouts. The dude is such an enigma. At times he has some of the best stuff of any of the Sox prospects (and some of the best stuffs of any relief prospect in all of baseball). But at other times, he's complete garbage. When you add that in with poor mechanics you get problems.

This guy has velocity that ranges from 98 on a good day to 91 on another day. Nasty hook at times...major hanger at other times. Upside is definitely there though and I hope Coop can work with him and help him become more consistent.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 31, 2012 -> 01:39 PM)
I think this is noteworthy/interesting/somewhat disturbing...

There are no African-American players on the Sox 25-man roster, and this will be the first time there isn't an African-American in the opening day starting lineup since 1955.

Please with this stuff. The GM is black

Most African-Americans (that I'm personally acquainted with) go for the 1/8th or 1/4th rule, if you prefer, he can be called bi-racial and not African-American, I suppose.

Then we could get into an argument about skin pigmentation of his father, who's considered black by almost everyone I know.

Or argue about Tiger Woods, for example. If he's not black, how would describe him? Asian? Bi-racial?

Well, technically we're all bi-racial if you go back to our ancestors in Europe or wherever in the year 500 or 750 or 1000.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (coco1997 @ Mar 31, 2012 -> 11:55 PM)
Trayce Thompson is white....

I apologize if I offended anyone. I've honestly only seen him at-bat once and the thought hadn't even crossed my mind that he was bi-racial. Carry on.