JM, don't get any funny idea's....

Cali

Leave Danny in the bullpen, he's had plenty of opprotunities to secure the #5 role all to himself, and failed. While Cotts didn't fair to well, they did do something rarely seen in Wrights starts, and that is win the game. Maybe the bullpen is Danny's calling. Leave him there.

Guest hotsoxchick1
Leave Danny in the bullpen, he's had plenty of opprotunities to secure the #5 role all to himself, and failed. While Cotts didn't fair to well, they did do something rarely seen in Wrights starts, and that is win the game. Maybe the bullpen is Danny's calling. Leave him there.

lol you dont ask much..you know the dugout gnome cant go a day without tinkering.........

lol you dont ask much..you know the dugout gnome cant go a day without tinkering.........

He's held a pretty damn consistent line-up in the second half so far. He stuck to his word about that.

He's held a pretty damn consistent line-up in the second half so far. He stuck to his word about that.

he would be burned at the stake if he tinkered with this. remember the seattle game with the split squad team? anymore of those and there will be mob action.

Cotts frankly was average at best.....yes he can get better, but we cannot and should not experiment here when we are in a 3 way race.....if we get behind two teams we may never be able to win the division

Let Wright get back to start, Cotts is not the answer NOW in this pressure cooker situation

Cotts frankly was average at best.....yes he can get better, but we cannot and should not experiment here when we are in a 3 way race.....if we get behind two teams we may never be able to win the division

Let Wright get back to start, Cotts is not the answer NOW in this pressure cooker situation

i concur

i concur

I do not.

There is NO, I repeat, NO pressure on Neal right now. There is pressure on Jimmy Gobble in KC, because he is replacing Jose Lima in the rotation, who has been the ace of that staff. That's pressure. Neal is in the #5 spot in the rotation, where he will work when he is the freshest arm in the rotation, and all he has to do is give the team 5 or 6 strong innings and giving the team a chance to win. If he gives up 5 runs and we lose 5-3, is that his fault he lost? I don't think so.

If Neal can't get the job done, he will be sent back to AA. How hard is that to understand? In my mind, you can experiment with a pitcher in the #5 spot, since we will only need him 2 or 3 more times. I would rather have Neal out there and Danny in the bullpen instead of having Danny in the rotation and having ????? in the pen. Danny's got one of the better arms in the upper levels. No way would I want a good arm rottting away in the #5 slot in the rotation instead of being in the bullpen where help is needed.

i concur

I do not.

There is NO, I repeat, NO pressure on Neal right now. There is pressure on Jimmy Gobble in KC, because he is replacing Jose Lima in the rotation, who has been the ace of that staff. That's pressure. Neal is in the #5 spot in the rotation, where he will work when he is the freshest arm in the rotation, and all he has to do is give the team 5 or 6 strong innings and giving the team a chance to win. If he gives up 5 runs and we lose 5-3, is that his fault he lost? I don't think so.

If Neal can't get the job done, he will be sent back to AA. How hard is that to understand? In my mind, you can experiment with a pitcher in the #5 spot, since we will only need him 2 or 3 more times. I would rather have Neal out there and Danny in the bullpen instead of having Danny in the rotation and having ????? in the pen. Danny's got one of the better arms in the upper levels. No way would I want a good arm rottting away in the #5 slot in the rotation instead of being in the bullpen where help is needed.

BINGO! Good post.

i concur

I do not.

no pressure, in his first big league game.... come on

this team is in the hunt... hell yea there is pressure...

i wish this guy could have a cocky attitude about it

no pressure, in his first big league game.... come on

That is being nervous and jittery. There is no pressure involved. You think he cares what thousands of people think about him? He apparently didn't in AA. He was just doing the best he could to win, and he just didn't have his control tonight....due to him being nervous.

this team is in the hunt... hell yea there is pressure...

...on the front 4. Esteban, Colon, Buehrle, and Garland are supposed to give us a quality start every time, no questions asked. If they don't, this late in the year with the race as close as it is, it is not a good start. As I said before, the #5 spot in the rotation will be used like 3 more times this year. Worst case scenario, we lose 3 or 4 games because of it. Those games most likely will not make or break the season. If we lose the division by a game, you can say it is, but I wouldn't. We have missed what seems like hundreds of opportunities to gain good ground. We have lost to the Tigers 1-0 twice, we lost to them I believe 2-1, we lost to them 4-2, we lost to the DRays 3-2, we lost to them 4-3, we lost to the Orioles 1-0, we lost to the Royals 13-9 in a game we should have won....I could go on and on.

Once again, how Neal pitches will not make or break this season. If he pitches well, that's a bonus. If he wins a game or two, that's incredibly good. If not, no big deal. Like I said, there is no pressure on him, though I should clarify that. The only pressure there is is the pressure he puts on himself.

What will make or break this year is how the front 4 pitch and how the bullpen pitches. The offense will be there. We are starting to hit the ball much, much better.

That is being nervous and jittery.  There is no pressure involved.  You think he cares what thousands of people think about him?  He apparently didn't in AA.  He was just doing the best he could to win, and he just didn't have his control tonight....due to him being nervous.

...on the front 4.  Esteban, Colon, Buehrle, and Garland are supposed to give us a quality start every time, no questions asked.  If they don't, this late in the year with the race as close as it is, it is not a good start.  As I said before, the #5 spot in the rotation will be used like 3 more times this year.  Worst case scenario, we lose 3 or 4 games because of it.  Those games most likely will not make or break the season.  If we lose the division by a game, you can say it is, but I wouldn't.  We have missed what seems like hundreds of opportunities to gain good ground.  We have lost to the Tigers 1-0 twice, we lost to them I believe 2-1, we lost to them 4-2, we lost to the DRays 3-2, we lost to them 4-3, we lost to the Orioles 1-0, we lost to the Royals 13-9 in a game we should have won....I could go on and on. 

Once again, how Neal pitches will not make or break this season.  If he pitches well, that's a bonus.  If he wins a game or two, that's incredibly good.  If not, no big deal.  Like I said, there is no pressure on him, though I should clarify that.  The only pressure there is is the pressure he puts on himself. 

What will make or break this year is how the front 4 pitch and how the bullpen pitches. The offense will be there.  We are starting to hit the ball much, much better.

ok... with the schedule we got, when do we go with a 4-man rotation? we blew the fifth starter.... not going to happen this late in the game.

wins are precious this time of year... we need every one of them....

i think we are past the point of fumble-f***ing around for a fifth starter

That is being nervous and jittery.  There is no pressure involved.  You think he cares what thousands of people think about him?  He apparently didn't in AA.  He was just doing the best he could to win, and he just didn't have his control tonight....due to him being nervous.

...on the front 4.  Esteban, Colon, Buehrle, and Garland are supposed to give us a quality start every time, no questions asked.  If they don't, this late in the year with the race as close as it is, it is not a good start.  As I said before, the #5 spot in the rotation will be used like 3 more times this year.  Worst case scenario, we lose 3 or 4 games because of it.  Those games most likely will not make or break the season.  If we lose the division by a game, you can say it is, but I wouldn't.  We have missed what seems like hundreds of opportunities to gain good ground.  We have lost to the Tigers 1-0 twice, we lost to them I believe 2-1, we lost to them 4-2, we lost to the DRays 3-2, we lost to them 4-3, we lost to the Orioles 1-0, we lost to the Royals 13-9 in a game we should have won....I could go on and on. 

Once again, how Neal pitches will not make or break this season.  If he pitches well, that's a bonus.  If he wins a game or two, that's incredibly good.  If not, no big deal.  Like I said, there is no pressure on him, though I should clarify that.  The only pressure there is is the pressure he puts on himself. 

What will make or break this year is how the front 4 pitch and how the bullpen pitches. The offense will be there.  We are starting to hit the ball much, much better.

ok... with the schedule we got, when do we go with a 4-man rotation? we blew the fifth starter.... not going to happen this late in the game.

If we go to a 4-man rotation, then you get into the bullpen every game. They won't let complete games happen for fear of overworking the starters. I think the 5th starter is lesser or two evils, so to speak.

If we go to a 4-man rotation, then you get into the bullpen every game. They won't let complete games happen for fear of overworking the starters. I think the 5th starter is lesser or two evils, so to speak.

Question. When teams get big leads in divisional races. Why dont they go to 6 man rotations, to get their starters that added rest? Just curious? :huh:

right.... but at some point we are going to have to go to a 4-man rotation... now or later....i just dont see a fifth starter keeping us in the chase

Question.  When teams get big leads in divisional races.  Why dont they go to 6 man rotations, to get their starters that added rest? Just curious? :huh:

My guess would be is that that is not enough work. Starters are used to pitching with 4 days rest, and if you only have 3 real good starters, and you use a 6-man rotation, you then get into the postseason and you have you 1-2-3 punch switching from a rotation where they get 5-days rest to one where they get 3-days. That just doesn't work that way. Your body needs to know what it does and it needs to prepare for it.

If a team has a good 4-man rotation, I figure they probably could go with a 6-man rotation. Maybe they try a guy and he emerges as a good starter.

Sometimes, when a team has a safe division lead, they will spot start a sixth starter to give their main starters an extra day of rest or to set the rotation up for the playoffs. But, it usually is just a spot start by a September call-up or a young long reliever.

Danny Wright finally pitches effectively, so I'd keep him in the pen. Give Cotts another start to see if he learns anything from this. Mark B needed a period of adjustmet before he found his way around out there. If Cotts walks another 6 in two innings, give Adkins his shot.

I just don't want to jerk Danny around if he's finally found his comfort level. I think that would be a big long term mistake.

Question. When teams get big leads in divisional races. Why dont they go to 6 man rotations, to get their starters that added rest? Just curious? :huh:

Routine and conditioning for the most part. Some guys pitch worse after too much rest. Some teams will give a starter an extra day off to reset their rotation for the playoffs or to give one guy who has piled up innings a rest, but for the most part, they just cut back on their IP. A starter that usually goes 7 or 8 innings will be cut back to 5 or 6, for instance. Pitching within their routine helps keep them sharp.