Conor Jackson: Why isn't there a Thread?

Lillian

While he isn't a significant pickup, he is a solid depth signing for the minors. Prior to his bout with desert fever he was a good player. No idea if he will ever recapture any of that or not but he could turn into a nice bench player in case of injury. That said, its hard to get excited about a depth player when the team probably won't be very good.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 1, 2012 -> 06:19 PM)
While he isn't a significant pickup, he is a solid depth signing for the minors. Prior to his bout with desert fever he was a good player. No idea if he will ever recapture any of that or not but he could turn into a nice bench player in case of injury. That said, its hard to get excited about a depth player when the team probably won't be very good.

What's the first thing the team does with him....?

Yep, force him to play an unnatural position. They never tire of this and they wonder why the team is always mentally so weak...?!

Well, since the discussion didn't seem to go anywhere in the "Future Sox" Thread, and since I think most of you are underestimating the importance of this move, allow me to make the case for Conor Jackson. Please take a moment to consider these numbers versus LHP, for the first three years of his career. His average, and OBP were terrific:

2006 .296 .378 .432

2007 .320 .408 .549

2008 .315 .446 .492

I understand that he has not demonstrated big power numbers, but ask yourself this question; Who would you rather have facing LHP, Dunn or Jackson?

Here are Dunn's career numbers versus LHP:

.225 .345 .443

Wouldn't a platoon of Jackson and Dunn make a lot of sense?

Valley fever is just completely debilitating, and no athlete could be expected to perform with that affliction. His illness, and subsequent injury completely explains his sudden inability to play baseball:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?.../SPPU1IDTO0.DTL

I think the only question with Jackson is whether or not he has completely recovered. The guy is only 30. He is in his prime, and if healthy, is not a Minor League player. He was a very highly touted youngster, and was the 19TH pick in the first round of the 2003 draft.

He performed very well, right out of the gate, at just 24, and improved every year, until his illness. When there are extenuating circumstances, such as a serious illness, that has to be given tremendous consideration. I don't think that K.W. signed him to merely play at Charlotte. I would guess that he intends to give Jackson every opportunity to be in Chicago in 2012. A team this offensively challenged can't afford to let a player with Jackson's ability languish in the Minors.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Apr 2, 2012 -> 06:50 AM)
I'll bite.

Where would he play?

The obvious answer is a platoon with Dunn at DH. Adam Dunn has no business facing left handers, period!!!

He has never been very good against them, and has a lot to prove, just to be the DH vs. RHP.

Here are his stats vs LHP for each of the last 5 years:

2007 .239 .353 .436

2008 .195 .351 .422

2009 .268 .351 .436

2010 .199 .304 .416

2011 .064 .235 .074

I'll accept that he has to play against Right handers, and I'm hoping for a big rebound. That gives him the biggest share of at bats, but he doesn't belong in the lineup vs. southpaws.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 2, 2012 -> 09:03 AM)
The obvious answer is a platoon with Dunn at DH. Adam Dunn has no business facing left handers, period!!!

He has never been very good against them, and has a lot to prove, just to be the DH vs. RHP.

I'll accept that he has to play against Right handers, and I'm hoping for a big rebound. That gives him the biggest share of at bats, but he doesn't belong in the lineup vs. southpaws.

A platoon DH is an incredible waste of a roster spot. If we were going with 6 pitchers in the bullpen, possibly that's tolerable, but come on, a platoon DH? That might work if both guys can play the field regularly.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 2, 2012 -> 07:13 AM)
A platoon DH is an incredible waste of a roster spot. If we were going with 6 pitchers in the bullpen, possibly that's tolerable, but come on, a platoon DH? That might work if both guys can play the field regularly.

Konerko will need some rest, and both Dunn and Jackson can spell him a few games.

Jackson could also play a little LF in the event one of the other outfielders is either injured, or fails to produce.

Almost everyone of the right handed outfielders are question marks. Rios, Viciedo and Lillibridge may or may not be productive enough to play regularly.

Moreover, de Aza really shouldn't be starting versus LHP.

The point is that I think Jackson could find enough playing time. I'd rather see him on the 25 man roster, in place of one of the relievers.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 2, 2012 -> 09:33 AM)
The point is that I think Jackson could find enough playing time. I'd rather see him on the 25 man roster, in place of one of the relievers.

With the number of question marks in the starting rotation, I can't blame them at all for the 7 man pen. I wouldn't be surprised if we hit one of those "The Pen is really tired and needs a starter to throw 8" days before the end of April even with a 7 man pen.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 2, 2012 -> 07:37 AM)
With the number of question marks in the starting rotation, I can't blame them at all for the 7 man pen. I wouldn't be surprised if we hit one of those "The Pen is really tired and needs a starter to throw 8" days before the end of April even with a 7 man pen.

You have a point, but we should be mindful of how potentially poor the Sox offense could be.

I think that they are really going to have trouble scoring runs, and their on base percentage could be awful, unless they do some platooning.

The following hypothetical lineups with the career split stats for some of the players should make the point:

VS. RHP*

De Aza CF .338 .409 .541 (.263 .333 .368)

Fukedome LF .262 .368 .407 (.251 .328 .364)

Konerko 1B .275 .352 .485

Dunn DH .252 .386 .529 (.225 .345 .443)

Viciedo RF

Ramirez SS .270 .313 .409 (.305 .354 .459)

A.J. C .291 .334 .434 (.260 .288 .382)

Beckham 2B

Morel 3B

VS LHP

Lillibridge CF .287 .346 .585 (.228 .333 .424)

Ramirez SS .305 .354 .459 (.270 .313 .409)

Konerko DH .300 .376 .543

C. Jackson 1B .296 .378 .432

Viciedo LF

Rios RF .282 .329 .443 (.272.321.431)

Beckham 2B

Flowers C

Morel 3B

*The set of numbers in parenthesis represent the player's stats vs pitching from the side not represented for that particular lineup.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 2, 2012 -> 07:47 AM)
I know what type of season Dunn had last year, but his career OPS vs. LHP is only 30 points lower than Conor Jackson's. And Jackson has been hot garbage since 2008, no guarantee he returns to his old form.

Please take a look at Dunn's stats for the last 5 years, versus LHP, which I posted above in this thread.

It's not pretty.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 2, 2012 -> 08:05 AM)
Please take a look at Jackson's stats for the last 3 years, versus all Major League pitching. It's not pretty.

That's not indicative of anything. He had very little playing time, and was suffering from a very debilitating illness.

No one should minimize the effects of such a serious condition. The hernia didn't help him to get back to normal.

Again, I think the issue is whether or not he is healthy. If the answer is yes, why shouldn't we expect him to return to his consistent previous performance, at age 30?