New Park or Not Same Marlins

Marty34

Watching the exhibition game between the Marlins and Yankees and I'm surprised at the number of Yankees fans in attendance. They limited ticket sales for the game to 25,000 and I'd say half of the crowd are Yankees fans.

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 1, 2012 -> 12:38 PM)
What on Earth do you mean? A crowd of 25k and 1/2 of them as Yankee fans, in Florida, is normal.

Right. It's also normal for the Marlins to draw 10K a game. The park will change that in the very short-term, but there's no reason to believe anything will change in the long-term.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 1, 2012 -> 12:45 PM)
Right. It's also normal for the Marlins to draw 10K a game. The park will change that in the very short-term, but there's no reason to believe anything will change in the long-term.

Can the latino community in south Florida afford the price of a baseball game?

QUOTE (Cali @ Apr 1, 2012 -> 12:58 PM)
Wow. Lime Green walls at the new park? They just really want to be made fun of even more dont they?

Was just coming here to comment on the same thing. Awful combination with the orange jerseys. Not good.

Also there's an area right under the home run sculpture thingy that's just asking for review plays.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Apr 2, 2012 -> 06:46 PM)
The new park is unapologetically Miami, i love it. Its like if Chicago built a stadium where every time you hit a home run theres a contraption in the outfield showcasing dancing steelworkers and flying hot dogs shooting mustard everywhere.

Sounds more Village People than South Beach to me.

"They're getting paid a lot of money to perform," Guillen said. "If they cannot play, somebody will play. They make the lineup. I write it down, and [bench coach] Joey Cora prints it. That's what we do here. If you play good, you make the lineup. If you do not play good, somebody will make the lineup. We'll put in somebody else. This is not an easy job."

Had to chuckle about that line.

As far as Yankees' fans, you have all the transplanted Northerners who retire in FL, PLUS the fact that the Yankees have always made their spring training home in the state as well as the fact that the Steinbrenner family is from Tampa.

Lots of ties to the region. Yankees will always be the biggest draw on the road in MLB, for the foreseeable future.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 12:17 PM)
"They're getting paid a lot of money to perform," Guillen said. "If they cannot play, somebody will play. They make the lineup. I write it down, and [bench coach] Joey Cora prints it. That's what we do here. If you play good, you make the lineup. If you do not play good, somebody will make the lineup. We'll put in somebody else. This is not an easy job."

Brent Morel says: "WTF"

Alex Rios says "Bulls***"

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Apr 2, 2012 -> 06:46 PM)
The new park is unapologetically Miami, i love it. Its like if Chicago built a stadium where every time you hit a home run theres a contraption in the outfield showcasing dancing steelworkers and flying hot dogs shooting mustard everywhere.

Steelworkers huh? Did we move to Pittsburgh?

I hope my beloved White Sox fans aren't turning into Kansas basketball fans who still follow Roy Williams and root for him to lose every game.

Oz is gone; the Marlins have nothing to do with White Sox baseball.

I just wish Mark and Oz good luck and root for the White Sox.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 02:16 PM)
I hope my beloved White Sox fans aren't turning into Kansas basketball fans who still follow Roy Williams and root for him to lose every game.

Oz is gone; the Marlins have nothing to do with White Sox baseball.

I just wish Mark and Oz good luck and root for the White Sox.

I hope and wish you didnt have to say this every time you posted, and you as well could concentrate on the White Sox and not on what everyone else is saying about Ozzie and Mark

Had to chuckle about that line.

As far as Yankees' fans, you have all the transplanted Northerners who retire in FL, PLUS the fact that the Yankees have always made their spring training home in the state as well as the fact that the Steinbrenner family is from Tampa.

Lots of ties to the region. Yankees will always be the biggest draw on the road in MLB, for the foreseeable future.

So what part of the first highlight is supposed to be hard? Sounds pretty damn easy to me Ozzie. :lolhitting

Plus, isn't it Ozzie that makes the f***ing lineups? lol

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 03:27 PM)
So what part of the first highlight is supposed to be hard? Sounds pretty damn easy to me Ozzie. :lolhitting

Plus, isn't it Ozzie that makes the f***ing lineups? lol

Man do I not miss that BS. Imagine the ranting and crying at the team this year when that asshat would be asked about last year.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 08:23 PM)
I hope and wish you didnt have to say this every time you posted, and you as well could concentrate on the White Sox and not on what everyone else is saying about Ozzie and Mark

I'd never mentioned that analogy before and never will again.

No way I ever made that comparison about Kansas fans/Roy Williams and Sox fans/obsessing Ozzie before.

I sensed the similarity and posted it.

I'm concentrating on the Sox as everybody should. Maybe when the Cubs play the Marlins it'll be intresting sidelight.

The problem with that analogy is :

1) All KU fans knew deep down that Roy would eventually leave for UNC, even if he passed the first time when Doherty got the job, and Doherty and Roy were also quite close at the time of that hire

2) Ozzie was a lifelong member of the White Sox family, whereas Roy was always something of an outsider, constantly making references to the Carolina way, Dean Smith, Michael Jordan, etc.

3) Williams wasn't run off by his A.D., who in the analogy would be KW to the basketball coach

4) Ozzie won a World Series with the White Sox, but Williams never got a National Title with KU, it took until Bill Self and the 2008 season for that to happen, largely with his own players (and not the previous team with Hinrich, Collison, Gooden, Simien, etc.)