2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 14, 2012 -> 09:54 PM)
Kentucky hasn't lost a home game since 08-09. It would be downright shocking for Indiana to win for that fact alone.

If we're premising that Indiana is a top 5 team, then no. An upset? Sure. "downright shocking?" No way. And I mean that for any top 5 team, not just IU.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 14, 2012 -> 09:57 AM)
Indiana surely has some talent to compete in conference, and possibly the tourney, but uk has a TON more and better coaching.

I think IU fans are going to be surprised how different it is with the target back on your backs. It's a tough road through the Big Ten.

You act as if we're Northwestern and finishing in the top 6 in the conference is new to us. Find me one IU fan that thinks we're going to walk through the Big Ten? Get freakin' real. IU fans won't be surprised by anything in terms of how hard the road through the Big Ten is. We've been there a few times. If any of the IU fans on this board need some help with expectations, I'll be happy to discuss with them and give a little history lesson in the process.

The simple fact is, IU is looking as good as anyone in the country on paper with 7 months to go before the start of the season. Any IU fan should be disappointed if we aren't better in the Big Ten next year, competing for the conference title with a chance to win or tie for it and be set up for at least another sweet sixteen run. Anything beyond that is nothing more than a guy being excited about the prospects of his team. We all have final four dreams. But that's a tough road and the potholes in the road present themselves when the tourney field is announced. The bottom line is IU SHOULD be a top ten team all year and COULD be a top 5 team with a shot at #1 if things go well. The same could be said about several teams, not just IU.

Edited by Rex Hudler

Soxbadger, the problem with your argument on oversigning and the web site oversigning.com is the opinion is based purely on numbers. If a kid transfers out, he was pushed out. The reality of it is, there is a lot that goes into those decisions.

Some kids need to be pushed out. I agree with honoring the scholarship for four years, if the kid is busting his ass, a team player, doing everything expected of him off the court and in the classroom, etc. But most kids want to play. When a coach sits down with them and gives them the harsh reality that it looks like he's not going to play, MOST kids will leave. Most kids don't want to ride the pine so to speak, for four years. Some kids will go to the coach and ask to transfer. Other times it is the result of a player evaluation that they may or may not agree with.

An example from football. Michigan had a CB named Cullen Christian. He came highly rated out of PA and didn't play much his freshman year. He got passed up by a few lesser rated players. After Coach Rodriguez left, he stayed through the spring last year in Brady Hoke's first year. After the spring, they sit down with every player, tell them where they are on the depth chart, what their prospects for playing time are and discuss what they need to work on in the summer and fall. Christian was told he was not in the two-deep and would be on the scout team. He wasn't happy. So he transferred to Pitt (where some of Rod's asst coaches landed) and spoke out about how he was treated unfairly. The problem was, he had a higher opinion of himself than anyone else at Michigan did. Does that mean UM pushed him out for a better recruit? Theoretically you could stretch it to that, but it would be a very weak stretch. Yet, a site like oversigning.com is going to look at the numbers in these type situations and make it appear the coaches are doing something sinister.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but without knowing the details of each situation, you can't make accusations. And sometimes, even if a kid is pushed out, its in his best interests whether he realizes it at the time or not.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 14, 2012 -> 10:54 PM)
Kentucky hasn't lost a home game since 08-09. It would be downright shocking for Indiana to win for that fact alone.

I'm not sure how that would be shocking. Yes, UK has been great at home, but they'll be a little "down" next year. The lockout helped them a ton last year. They won't have a Jones/Miller to lean on right away. I mean, IU returns the exact same team (plus 5 athletic, highly sought after players) that split with UK last year...

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 14, 2012 -> 03:33 PM)
They definitely have a shot. I'd lean towards Kentucky once again at the moment.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 14, 2012 -> 03:48 PM)
SIU loses promising freshman Dantiel Daniels. He will be a good get for someone.

1.) Yeah, I would think Kentucky has a shot at winning No. 2 in a row and 9 in school history. I'd think if Kentucky had gotten Shabazz, Anderson and Tony Parker, Kentucky would be a lock to repeat and have as good a record next year as it had this year. Can UCLA do anything with its stellar recruiting class or is Howland a joke?

2.) Tell me about Daniels. Is he a hi major guy? I know Barry Hinson personally. He is one of the finest men I've ever met. In an era of high-ego bastards who do s*** like the football coach at Arkansas ... Barry Hinson DOES NOT DRINK, smoke or have any vices. He is a Christian who does not shove it down your throat like a Tebow. He lives it. GOOD LUCK BARRY HINSON.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (farmteam @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 08:43 AM)
I had a dream last night IU was a 3 seed playing 11 seed UMass for the right to go to the Sweet Sixteen. If I call this 11 months before it happens, I should get a movie deal.

If IU ends up as a three seed, there are going to be a lot of disappointed IU fans.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 15, 2012 -> 08:51 PM)
1.) Yeah, I would think Kentucky has a shot at winning No. 2 in a row and 9 in school history. I'd think if Kentucky had gotten Shabazz, Anderson and Tony Parker, Kentucky would be a lock to repeat and have as good a record next year as it had this year. Can UCLA do anything with its stellar recruiting class or is Howland a joke?

2.) Tell me about Daniels. Is he a hi major guy? I know Barry Hinson personally. He is one of the finest men I've ever met. In an era of high-ego bastards who do s*** like the football coach at Arkansas ... Barry Hinson DOES NOT DRINK, smoke or have any vices. He is a Christian who does not shove it down your throat like a Tebow. He lives it. GOOD LUCK BARRY HINSON.

Dantiel was a gem that Lowery found while recruiting another player. He is a big kid, listed at 6'6" i believe, and very strong. I think he will definitely catch on to a high major team, he is a rebounding fool and has a decent game around the rim. He needs work on his FTs, but par for the course for college big men.

I think Hinson will do well in SIU, i really do. I am interested to see what his first class looks like, he is scrambling to get a few scholarships filled right now due to a JUCO backing out of his LOI and Daniels asking for his release. There is one other possible kid leaving, so it may be three

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 08:45 AM)
If IU ends up as a three seed, there are going to be a lot of disappointed IU fans.

With those kind of expectations after the garbage the program has seen those would be a lot of stupid fans. In no way should the best seed they've had in what, a decade, be a disappointment.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 11:22 AM)
With those kind of expectations after the garbage the program has seen those would be a lot of stupid fans. In no way should the best seed they've had in what, a decade, be a disappointment.

It shouldn't, but it would. It is akin to the Yankees not winning a World Series.

I dont think in any world is Indiana comparable to the Yankees. Indiana isnt even UCLA (11 titles) and even UCLA isnt close to being the Yankees.

All I know about Indiana is the last time they beat Wisconsin they stormed the court, it was January 2007, so its hard for me to consider Indiana the Yankees, when they havent even beat the scrub Badgers in 5 years.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 11:35 AM)
I dont think in any world is Indiana comparable to the Yankees. Indiana isnt even UCLA (11 titles) and even UCLA isnt close to being the Yankees.

All I know about Indiana is the last time they beat Wisconsin they stormed the court, it was January 2007, so its hard for me to consider Indiana the Yankees, when they havent even beat the scrub Badgers in 5 years.

It is all about how IU fans think of themselves and IU. They honestly believe they are the premier basketball program in the country.

To be fair, IU has what, 5 titles? Which is like 5-6th best in the country. So the numbers are there. Unfortunately they often put themselves on par with UCLA/Kentucky/UNC/Duke. They also rely on what happened 25 years ago a lot more than they should. I want to say this year was their 2nd Sweet 16 in that 25 year span which isn't anything to write home about.

Still, they have great (if not annoying) fan support, which is enviable. The storming of the court last year when they beat Illinois sorta pissed me off. As did the whole Eric Gordon thing. That, and I have an IU buddy that basically stopped paying attention to their program for 3-4 season and then suddenly this year was "oh yeah, we're back. We have the best recruiting class. NC next year baby!" and blah blah. Needless to say i'm not a big fan of theirs, and I hope that all these "can't miss" prospects are busts and Crean ends up being overrated. :D

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Apr 15, 2012 -> 04:13 AM)
You act as if we're Northwestern and finishing in the top 6 in the conference is new to us. Find me one IU fan that thinks we're going to walk through the Big Ten? Get freakin' real. IU fans won't be surprised by anything in terms of how hard the road through the Big Ten is. We've been there a few times. If any of the IU fans on this board need some help with expectations, I'll be happy to discuss with them and give a little history lesson in the process.

The simple fact is, IU is looking as good as anyone in the country on paper with 7 months to go before the start of the season. Any IU fan should be disappointed if we aren't better in the Big Ten next year, competing for the conference title with a chance to win or tie for it and be set up for at least another sweet sixteen run. Anything beyond that is nothing more than a guy being excited about the prospects of his team. We all have final four dreams. But that's a tough road and the potholes in the road present themselves when the tourney field is announced. The bottom line is IU SHOULD be a top ten team all year and COULD be a top 5 team with a shot at #1 if things go well. The same could be said about several teams, not just IU.

Not true, it WOULD be new to alot of IU fans though.

The rest of your post agrees with what I said though, so I am kind of confused. Maybe its because it was 4am?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 12:16 PM)
To be fair, IU has what, 5 titles? Which is like 5-6th best in the country. So the numbers are there. Unfortunately they often put themselves on par with UCLA/Kentucky/UNC/Duke. They also rely on what happened 25 years ago a lot more than they should. I want to say this year was their 2nd Sweet 16 in that 25 year span which isn't anything to write home about.

They have never won the Big Ten tournament, that alone would be a big step for them in the modern era. A conference title would be good for them as well as they really havent won the Big Ten that many times (20), especially if you compare it to teams like Kentucky who've dominated their conference (47 regular season titles)

I'm a HUGE Bobby Knight fan though so I really remember those teams. They were definitely the premier or one of the premier teams in the country in the 70's/80's, they were almost an automatic sweet 16 pick. The thing about IU is they actually dont have that many final fours (OSU even has more) but they won 5 out of the 8 they've been in. Thats a really good success rate.

Edited by RockRaines

They have never won the Big Ten tournament, that alone would be a big step for them in the modern era. A conference title would be good for them as well as they really havent won the Big Ten that many times (20), especially if you compare it to teams like Kentucky who've dominated their conference (47 regular season titles)

I'm not on either side of the IU/Kentucky debate, but that is a horrible example.

The SEC is a far inferior conference to the Big Ten. If those teams switched leagues, IU would have more conference titles than Kentucky. Outside of IU, the Big Ten has 7 teams with a combined 34 Final Four appearances. Outside of Kentucky, the SEC has 5 teams with a combined 13 Final Four appearances. Winning the Mountain West is almost as much of an accomplishment as winning the SEC.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 07:45 AM)

That was my first reaction. But about 3 seconds later, I realized that a 3 seed is reasonable. Anywhere from a 1-4 would be okay as long as they have come together as a team to compete for the title. I'm not expecting them to win it. But it sure is nice to be going into the season feeling like they have as good of a shot as most teams.

I expect there to be a few hiccups. I really believe there will be an adjustment period for this team because of the leadership lost. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think too many people underestimate the contribution by the seniors, stats notwithstanding.