2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 10:38 AM)
It is all about how IU fans think of themselves and IU. They honestly believe they are the premier basketball program in the country.

There is some of that out there. There are also some IU fans who still refuse to watch because of what happened to Bobby Knight. I can't help those idiots. But I don't think the larger part of the fan base believes that. I think IU fans believe they are a top tier program in the country and expect their program to be able to compete at a top level. In all my life, I've never experienced IU fans as a group expecting final four appearances or national championships. I do believe Sweet Sixteen appearances are the expectation, knowing that we'll advance in our fair share of years. But I also believe it is important to IU fans that things are done the right way. They want to win, but they want to win with good kids who work hard and go to class. So much to the point, they were willing to

The fact that we've been down for awhile may distort those general expectations, however. As Rock pointed out, there is a new generation of IU fans who haven't lived through the past successes. I can't answer for them and what they expect. I just know I want IU to be a top 10-15 program every year with the occasional shot at the very top. None of it is assumed, however.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Apr 16, 2012 -> 05:55 PM)
I just know I want IU to be a top 10-15 program every year with the occasional shot at the very top. None of it is assumed, however.

I think most ambitious programs will want that. Certainly more than 15 programs want to be in that group. Not saying it's a bad ambition. It's a more realistic view of being a top team. Wanting to be in that group isn't as exclusive as some IU fans may think though.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 02:44 PM)
Crean offered Eron Gordon today, hes Eric's little brother and in 8th grade. Seems like Purdue is in on him (has a visit scheduled) and Id expect the rest of the Big 10 as well (Wisconsin has been mentioned as interested).

I hope he goes to illinois.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 03:09 PM)
LOL. And then force him to transfer and only allow him to play in Alaska, Montana, or Idaho, Bo Ryan style. Karma is a b****.

LOL, awesome.

Seriously, offering 8th graders? Jesus. Sometimes college bball recruiting is just stupid.

I love all the people b****ing about Bo Ryan restricting a transfer.

Yes, Im sure you would all be fine with a player learning the playbook, learning about your team and then suddenly and unexpectedly leaving, and wanting to have 0 restrictions.

Yes that seems absolutely fair.

Its a joke this is getting attention, any other player in Uthoff's situation would have just transferred to 1 of the other 200 schools that were available.

The rules are clear, Uthoff agreed to those rules, if Wisconsin wants to allow him to transfer, they are allowed to restrict it.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 03:29 PM)
I love all the people b****ing about Bo Ryan restricting a transfer.

Yes, Im sure you would all be fine with a player learning the playbook, learning about your team and then suddenly and unexpectedly leaving, and wanting to have 0 restrictions.

Yes that seems absolutely fair.

Its a joke this is getting attention, any other player in Uthoff's situation would have just transferred to 1 of the other 200 schools that were available.

The rules are clear, Uthoff agreed to those rules, if Wisconsin wants to allow him to transfer, they are allowed to restrict it.

No one would even care if you hadn't have made a big deal about the whole oversigning thing, which by the way, isn't against the rules either.

I dont understand the restricting of a transfer, you are guaranteed (almost) that they arent going within conference. Matta just let 2 guys go including a 4 star recruit and pretty sure there are no restrictions. Those types of transfers almost always end up in the MAC or something of the like.

No one would even care if you hadn't have made a big deal about the whole oversigning thing, which by the way, isn't against the rules either.

So if you ever have a problem with any rule, you then arent allowed to defend an entirely, unrelated rule? I didnt realize that.

Rock,

This is the first time this has happened at Wisconsin. No one knows what is going on, there are a ton of rumors, but no one is sure. Wisconsin has never had this issue with another player, its not like this happens often. This is an unique situation and no one knows what is going on.

So far the facts are, at first Marquette and ISU were restricted (big 10 is restricted by rule, you cant transfer and get a scholly). No one knows why ISU (they are a competitor of Iowa so it doesnt make much sense), but there is a lot of speculation.

Then the rumor is that Ryan all of a sudden added the entire ACC. This no one understands, but I dont have any facts. There is a lot of speculation, but no one knows.

I guess my problem with it, is that Bo Ryan has never been accused of anything before. And the first time a player starts complaining everyone jumps on Ryan, instead of trying to figure out what the hell is going on. Its not like Ryan is notorious for doing this, I cant even remember 1 time it happened.

And let me add, I dont personally think that restricting transfers for the sake of restriction is good or fair. But I am willing to give Bo Ryan the benefit of waiting for the facts, instead of piecing together what is being said in the news. If it turns out Ryan was being vindictive, I would hope that the University would speak with him and tell him that is not how the University of Wisconsin wants to be perceived.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 03:50 PM)
So if you ever have a problem with any rule, you then arent allowed to defend an entirely, unrelated rule? I didnt realize that.

Rock,

This is the first time this has happened at Wisconsin. No one knows what is going on, there are a ton of rumors, but no one is sure. Wisconsin has never had this issue with another player, its not like this happens often. This is an unique situation and no one knows what is going on.

So far the facts are, at first Marquette and ISU were restricted (big 10 is restricted by rule, you cant transfer and get a scholly). No one knows why ISU (they are a competitor of Iowa so it doesnt make much sense), but there is a lot of speculation.

Then the rumor is that Ryan all of a sudden added the entire ACC. This no one understands, but I dont have any facts. There is a lot of speculation, but no one knows.

I guess my problem with it, is that Bo Ryan has never been accused of anything before. And the first time a player starts complaining everyone jumps on Ryan, instead of trying to figure out what the hell is going on. Its not like Ryan is notorious for doing this, I cant even remember 1 time it happened.

If you give grief, you can't meltdown when you get it back.

Where did I meltdown?

I stated my opinion on the subject, Im not sure that posting a response in a thread is a "meltdown". Its sad that people are reporting non-facts and acting as if they are true. Bo Ryan has put no restrictions on the Big 10, the Big 10 already has a rule in place that prevents an athlete from receiving financial aid.

That is the only type of restriction Bo Ryan can place, he can prevent scholarship aid.

So if Uthoff wanted to pay his way, he could transfer to Iowa, the same way Chambliss transferred from PSU to Wisconsin. But no one in Wisconsin had a hissy fit about why did PSU restrict the transfer, they simply knew what the Big 10 rule was.

So that leaves us with Bo Ryan restricting Uthoff from receiving a scholarship to ISU and Marquette, plus the rumor of the entire ACC.

I just was annoyed with he gawn, who stated that Bo Ryan was going to force Uthoff into DII. That is an absolute fallacy, even if you were to take all the rumors as true.

I guess I am tired of the blatant misrepresentation about the situation. That isnt a meltdown, its just annoyance with people who want to make up facts to discredit Bo Ryan.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 05:17 PM)
Where did I meltdown?

I stated my opinion on the subject, Im not sure that posting a response in a thread is a "meltdown". Its sad that people are reporting non-facts and acting as if they are true. Bo Ryan has put no restrictions on the Big 10, the Big 10 already has a rule in place that prevents an athlete from receiving financial aid.

That is the only type of restriction Bo Ryan can place, he can prevent scholarship aid.

So if Uthoff wanted to pay his way, he could transfer to Iowa, the same way Chambliss transferred from PSU to Wisconsin. But no one in Wisconsin had a hissy fit about why did PSU restrict the transfer, they simply knew what the Big 10 rule was.

So that leaves us with Bo Ryan restricting Uthoff from receiving a scholarship to ISU and Marquette, plus the rumor of the entire ACC.

I just was annoyed with he gawn, who stated that Bo Ryan was going to force Uthoff into DII. That is an absolute fallacy, even if you were to take all the rumors as true.

I guess I am tired of the blatant misrepresentation about the situation. That isnt a meltdown, its just annoyance with people who want to make up facts to discredit Bo Ryan.

Yet you have no problem taking rumors as facts against Crean...

SS2k,

Show me where I have taken anything about Crean as fact.

I believe I stated "according to people", which clearly shows I have no first hand knowledge and only reporting the facts as best as I know them. I also said that if someone had better information than me, I obviously could be wrong, as I have no direct information.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 05:33 PM)
SS2k,

Show me where I have taken anything about Crean as fact.

I believe I stated "according to people", which clearly shows I have no first hand knowledge and only reporting the facts as best as I know them. I also said that if someone had better information than me, I obviously could be wrong, as I have no direct information.

If you don't know, then why are you taking him to task for it? That is exactly what guys were doing with Ryan. It is the exact same thing.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 05:36 PM)
If you don't know, then why are you taking him to task for it? That is exactly what guys were doing with Ryan. It is the exact same thing.

About oversigning or alleged Creaning?

Because Crean admits he tries to oversign every class (I cant find the article right now).

The pushing players out the door, as I said, I cant be 100% sure, and Ive said that many many times.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 05:36 PM)
So much for all the Jerence Howard talk. He will be joining Larry Brown's staff down at SMU. Yes, that Larry Brown, age 71.

Yep and Jankovich might be going to become Brown's heir apparent.

I didn't have a problem with Ryan restricting the Big Ten (because the no-scholly rule; even if there wasn't, I'd be fine with a restriction to any school in you conference) or Marquette (since it's a major program in the same state). Iowa State seemed a bit odd since it's a different state and conference, but hey, cherry picking a school or two the kid can't transfer to? Fine.

But banning the entire ACC, because Tony Bennett called Wisconsin and asked for permission to talk to Uthoff? Now I have a problem with Ryan going overboard with this. Restricting an ENTIRE conference, when you'll only play one or two teams from it the entire year? Asinine.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 04:40 PM)
Goddamnit Chris Lowery totally submarined SIU. 4 players asking for their release now. f*** HIM

Who else?

I assume the kids that want to split wanted to play for Lowery for some reason.

To be fair, Bo Ryan does look like a first class douchebag, but he doesnt really have history of doing this to his players, in fact they REALLY REALLY like to stick around and are very loyal to him. Even Evan Turner is still close to Ryan and he didnt even go there.