2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 06:53 PM)
To be fair, Bo Ryan does look like a first class douchebag, but he doesnt really have history of doing this to his players, in fact they REALLY REALLY like to stick around and are very loyal to him. Even Evan Turner is still close to Ryan and he didnt even go there.

Agreed. That's partly why I didn't care when he restricted Marquette and Iowa St (in addition to the Big Ten). But now it's going way overboard.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 06:51 PM)
Who else?

I assume the kids that want to split wanted to play for Lowery for some reason.

Treg Setty, Dantiel Daniels, Bobo Drummond, Travis Wilkins. Basically last year and this years classes.

Some say treg wanted to go home, some say they both wanted Korn on the staff. Bobo and Travis just don't want to go to a coach that didn't recruit them I guess

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 07:32 PM)
I never understood how a coach can go from school to school in the middle of contracts while kids have all these restrictions if they want to transfer.

Yeah, I find it messed up too. Hypothetically here, but lets say Jarrod wanted to change his major to something offered at ISU but not Wisconsin. Even though he wants to transfer for purely academic reasons, he's being punished for doing something different with his education. Not that that is the case, but being able to randomly place restrictions seems off the mark.

I never understood how a coach can go from school to school in the middle of contracts while kids have all these restrictions if they want to transfer.

Not to mention something like Derrick Rose cheats on his SATs to get into school, the school vacates all of its wins, and Rose gets...?

Coaches are employees their contracts are governed by contract law. The contract could put in a non-compete, etc, but no coach would agree to sign in the first place.

The problem is the NCAA does not want students to be employees, they are specifically not considered employees. Therefore employment law does not apply. Furthermore, this is the NCAA's rule. The NCAA does not allow a scholarship player to transfer to another school and receive a scholarship, unless they are released.

So what you get is a bad situation.

Wisconsin spends 30k-40k on Uthoff this year and they get nothing for it. In an employment situation or any contract, if Uthoff breached hed be required to pay back the money. Since you cant ask him to pay back the money, the only thing you can do is restrict his ability to go to your competitors.

The ACC rumor is that Wisconsin cant be guaranteed who they will play in the ACC/Big10 challenge and thus Wisconsin doesnt want him to go to a team that they will play.

Its a little unreasonable, but at the same time, Uthoff got a free year of school from Wisconsin and can go anywhere but a few schools. Ive read from places some schools have lists of 20 or schools that they never allow a transfer to under any circumstances. Just in general most players do not complain about the restriction, because everyone understands.

Uthoff wants to be released from a contract and he wants to give nothing up, that just isnt how the world works. He can go to any school he wants, he just cant get a scholarship. At some point there has to be some consequence, otherwise youll have kids going to small schools and then transferring to UNC, Kansas, UK whenever they get good.

I dont know what the best solution is, I just am pretty sure there is more going on here than what is being said. Personally I think Bo Ryan is not pleased Uthoff decided to fight this out in public because if Uthoff wasnt happy with his options, he could have stayed with Wisconsin. He agreed to the terms of the release, then he went and complained. I dont really know, no one can get the facts as Wisconsin is saying nothing.

Also its important to read exactly what Uthoff said:

"I just got an email about it today from Wisconsin's compliance office,"

So its actually unclear whether its Bo Ryan doing this. Its obviously the most likely scenario, but there is a possibility that for whatever reason Alvarez is pulling the strings here.

Edited by Soxbadger

This whole ordeal couldn't have happened at a better time with you bringing forth the whole "creaning" ordeal (which never provided any facts, nor any major publicity). Heard Cowherd and and another ESPN host basically called Ryan an ass on national TV today saying "why would you go there if you were a recruit". Regardless of the "rumors" of what happened, this is all BAD press for Bo and the Badgers.

lol

I dont care what Cowherd says, hes a joke and doesnt understand college basketball. This is commonplace, just most recruits dont go to the press and lie about it.

So keep on keeping on, bad press for the Badgers, thats your perspective. Some people believe that any press is good press. Wisconsin and Bo Ryan have an amazing reputation with players, 1 kid complaining isnt going to change that.

In a week when Uthoff transfers to UNI or Creighton, no one will remember this story.

I agree Uthoff probably should have handled this differently, but you're brushing it off as a "few schools." No, a few schools was when Iowa State and Marquette (and the Big Ten) were off limits. Those schools plus the ENTIRE ACC? That's a hell of a lot more than a few schools.

And as for, "Well, we don't know which ACC team we'll be playing" that's absurd. First of all, based on sheer probability it's unlikely Wisconsin would play whatever school Uthoff transfers to, and even if they did, it wouldn't be for at least two years. If Ryan's legitimately scared about an opponent two years down the road having a single player that spent one year with his program, he's really not fit to be running a Big Ten program. And if that statement sounds absurd, it's no more absurd than Ryan preventing Uthoff from transferring to an entire f***ing conference.

Farmteam,

There is no evidence that it is actually true or came from Bo Ryan. As of now Wisconsin has not commented on the situation.

Here is the latest:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/147804675.html

UW originally restricted Uthoff from receiving athletic aid if he transferred to any other Big Ten school, as well as Marquette and Iowa State.

Uthoff told the Cedar Rapids Gazette he has filed an appeal with the UW compliance department.

However, a college basketball source familiar with the case said Tuesday no appeal was filed and the window to do so, for the initial list of schools, has closed.

If Uthoff failed to file an appeal, his lack of action would raise the question of whether he wanted to look at those schools all along.

The response from UW, according to Uthoff, was to restrict him from receiving athletic aid at all ACC schools.

Now the important thing to note here is that Uthoff claimed he filed an appeal, but actually did not. So if hes not telling the truth about that, what can we believe about the rest?

Wisconsin has not commented at all.

Well sure, if Uthoff actually made all this up then he's an idiot and any school should be leery of taking him.

I just have a hard time believing he made ALL of it up.

I referenced above that because Ryan's never been in trouble before, that's why I was giving him the benefit of the doubt at first. But, if he did indeed ban the entire ACC, as the link I posted said, then everything I said still stands.

EDIT: I will say, if the ACC thing is true, then I find it almost impossible that it didn't come from Ryan. And I only say "almost" because I'll give it about a 5% chance it came from Alvarez.

Edited by farmteam

Farmteam,

If he listed the entire ACC, I guarantee you he has a legitimate reason Since his time in Wisconsin, I have never read, seen or even heard a rumor of any player of Ryan disliking the way Ryan treated him, that Ryan screwed him etc. In the same time, I have never heard of another coach saying Ryan cheats at recruiting, lies or does anything dishonest.

Yet now, the first player ever comes out and no one even goes, "Hey that doesnt sound like Bo Ryan". Instead they just all run the story. When it first started the rumor was Bo Ryan wouldnt let him go to any Big 12 school, it turned out it was just ISU. Now the rumor is, Bo Ryan wont let him go to any ACC school, maybe that once again is not true.

The problem I have here, is that Uthoff can go to any school, he just cant get a scholarship if he isnt released. A scholarship is not a right, its a privilege.

As Ive consistently said, there has to be something else going on here. This is just so beyond anything that anyone has ever accused Ryan of, that its either 1) Ryan lost it or 2) there is much more to this story and Wisconsin just isnt going to bury Uthoff.

My guess is the latter. The reason being, Uthoff can go to over 200 other programs, many of them far better than Wisconsin. Yet his beef is about a very select few. If he truly just wanted to be closer to home and at a program that runs up tempo, why would he want to transfer to the ACC? Wouldnt that mean he lied about his reasons for wanting to transfer?

Something is up here.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 01:16 AM)
All five Kentucky starters announce they are leaving school. I've heard all of the arguments, but I just can't get myself to feel this is what college basketball should be like.

It isn't. But at the same time I can't quite feel sorry for the NCAA when they are the ones making billions off of these kids.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 12:53 AM)
Is this Uthoff kid any good? Why is it such a big deal? Hell, if he's not great, just replace him and move on. If he's very good, why haven't I heard of him until now? :)

Rex,

He was Mr. Basketball in Iowa 2 years ago and red shirted for Wisconsin this year.

Why is it a big deal? Because Uthoff has been complaining about it in the press.

Restrictions are so common that they almost never go reported. Here is another player who is allegedly restricted to 3 DI schools.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com...or-some-school/

http://fanpeeps.com/-phgg

Summitt steps down as Tennessee coach

The University of Tennessee announced Wednesday that legendary women's basketball coach Pat Summitt has stepped down, one year after being diagnosed with the early stages of dementia.

Associate head coach Holly Warlick, who has been an assistant under Summitt for 27 seasons, will be the new coach, while the 59-year-old Summitt will serve as head coach emeritus.

The university said Summitt will remain involved with the program and its players, acting as a liaison to the athletic director, and staying involved in on-campus recruiting.

Re the Uthoff ordeal, the irony here is great if you ask me as someone watching this without much direct interest. Sharif Chambliss transferred from PSU to Wisconsin to play for Bo Ryan and paid his own way (he's now on staff at Wisconsin). The Big 10 apparently changed their rule a couple years ago so that Ben Brust could get out of his LOI to Iowa and get a scholarship at another B1G program (Wisconsin) when Iowa fired Lickliter.

Again, if true.. Uthoff should go to a JC this season (So he can play, he's already only going to get 3 years to play at wherever he chooses since he red shirted this year and would have to sit out next year) and then transfer to a Big 10 team to stick it to Ryan 2-3 times every year.

Uthoff can transfer to Iowa right now if he wants to pay his own way. How is Chambliss related at all?

Iowa wanted Brust to be able to get a scholarship to the Big 10.

http://www.thehawkeye.com/story/BKC-roundup-042310

Under Big Ten rules, a player can transfer to another school, but cannot receive a scholarship unless the player receives a waiver from the conference. Iowa supported Brust's appeal request.

So yes, if Uthoff wants he can go JC route and then go to any school he wants. If Uthoff wants he can pay his way to any school he wants.

What Uthoff cant do, is force Wisconsin to release him from his scholarship with 0 restrictions. As shown previously, Tulsa is allegedly restricting a player to all but 3 schools, yet Wisconsin is getting press.

For whatever reason Uthoff wants to make this an ordeal, its not going to get him anywhere, thats my opinion.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 02:46 PM)
Her dementia will probably help her forget all of her illegal recruiting tactics.

Illegally recruiting in women's basketball is like illegally recruiting in full-contact chess.

Where's the financial gain?