2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 20, 2012 -> 10:31 AM)
So, Treg Setty and Dantiel Daniels were denied release from their scholarships to make sure they fullfill their academic requirement. Does that just mean they have to wait a few months?

http://dailyegyptian.com/2012/04/19/setty-...enied-releases/

They can't transfer to another MVC school, or St Louis, or Iowa State, and just for good measure, Dayton.

I keed.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 20, 2012 -> 01:41 PM)
So this is just an odd week for Wisconsin basketball.

Tom Crean has been on twitter today saying how great Wisconsin could be next year.

http://twitter.com/#!/tomcrean

At least people care about us!

Nah, Crean's assistant who works his twitter does, nobody else.

Well the NCAA President is now speaking out about potentially changing the rules on transfers.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/...duct-sea-change

Its a little buried in the article though.

I just wanted to point out something that clarifies the Wisconsin issue:

The school said Uthoff asked for permission to contact 16 schools and the Badgers rejected four of them.

Uthoff appealed over three of those schools and met Thursday with athletic director Barry Alvarez and associate AD Justin Doherty

So this wasnt about Bo Ryan restricting the entire ACC or anything that was presented in the media. Uthoff gave a list of 16 schools and ONLY 4 were restricted to start and Uthoff appealed 3 of them (Indiana, Iowa, ISU) and 1 of them (ISU) was allowed.

Its nice to see the NCAA considering change, its just unfortunate that Bo Ryan seemingly became a scapegoat on the issue.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 11:16 AM)
Rayvonte Rice is transferring to Illinois from Drake. Averaged 16.5 PPG and 5.7 RPG as a true sophomore. Will have two years of eligibility left.

He's gotta sit out a year right? Unless he gets some kind of exemption?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 11:21 AM)
He's gotta sit out a year right? Unless he gets some kind of exemption?

Yeah, he has to sit out a year. He should be pretty important next year when Brandon Paul and DJ Richardson are both gone.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 11:25 AM)
He should apply for the "Weber left the cupboard empty" exemption

Eh, I don't know if I completely agree with the cupboard being empty. It's a poorly constructed team with imbalanced classes and a lack of a true PG, but there are numerous top 100 players on the roster and 4 of them are just going into their second season. If Abrams makes huge strides at PG next year the Illini could surprise some people, but I expect two years from now is when they are back in the top half of the Big Ten.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 04:16 PM)
Rayvonte Rice is transferring to Illinois from Drake. Averaged 16.5 PPG and 5.7 RPG as a true sophomore. Will have two years of eligibility left.

Good get. And yeah, cupboard isn't bare at all. Although it remains to be seen because there is going to be transfers still.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 01:06 PM)
Rayvonte Rice will be a bust at Illinois. He's just another me first player so he should fit in there. He left Drake to try and get to the NBA even though they would have had a real solid team next year with him.

Groce wont put up with bulls*** like that. He will however be a featured player as Groce's offense is very guard friendly and he will have the green light to shoot and shoot and shoot.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 01:06 PM)
Rayvonte Rice will be a bust at Illinois. He's just another me first player so he should fit in there. He left Drake to try and get to the NBA even though they would have had a real solid team next year with him.

Well he can't be any worse than the last MVC transfer, so he has that going for him.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 11:25 AM)
He should apply for the "Weber left the cupboard empty" exemption

I wish Jeremiah Rivers could have gotten a similar exception after the Sampson debacle. I was about to say "not like he was any good"...but sadly he very well might have been the best player on that 08-09 IU team.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 04:14 PM)
We should be fine as long as everyone (Nic Moore) doesn't transfer out. I'm in favor of keeping the staff together and having Rob Judson coach.

Nic Moore is the kid from Warsaw, IN right? Is he gonna be a junior or senior now?

Early pieces from IU's 2012-2013 schedule...

Legends Classic finals in the new Barclay's Center in Brooklyn. IU will play two of UCLA, Georgetown and Georgia

Butler in Indy - Notre Dame and Purdue play the other game

Expecting possibly North Carolina or NC State at home in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge. Played NC State on the road last year.

Kentucky is still up in the air. Discussions with Kansas have existed as a possible replacement if UK falls through. Kentucky wants to go back to off campus sites. IU wants to keep it on campus. While the atmosphere was electric this year when we won at home, I've been to a couple of the games when they split the stadium in half and play it in Louisville or Indy and it was a great atmosphere also. Strangely enough, Kentucky is the one that moved it to campus several years ago.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Apr 28, 2012 -> 10:44 AM)
IU-Kansas would be fun.

They played before I believe. I know they played once somewhere around 1990. It was in the Hoosier Dome and I believe we lost. I was there, but have had many beers since then.

Edit: I went back and checked... IU played Kansas from 93-96 seasons.

93 - lost at Hoosier Dome 74-69. KU ranked #3; IU #2

93 - lost in Sweet Sixteen 83-77. KU ranked #9; IU #1 (this was shortly after Eric Anderson, a key player for IU was injured. I truly believe IU would have won the NC that year if he hadn't gotten hurt. IU was 13-2 against ranked teams that year until the lost to KU)

94 - lost @ Kansas in OT 86-83. KU ranked #6; IU #12

95 - won at home 80-61. KU ranked #3; IU not ranked

96 - lost in Kansas City 91-83. KU ranked #1; IU not ranked

All close games except in 95. It was a good series, but we lost 3 out of 4 plus the NCAA Tournament game. I liked the 4 game series, one at each home court and one at "neutral" site for each.

I'd like to see something like this again.

Edited by Rex Hudler