2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of recruiting, apparently Jalen James, a 2013 verbal commit to Illinois, has opened up his recruiting. Probably not happy with Groce going after "better" guards in the same class. Add that to the sudden loss of Chew, an assistant coach for all of 6 weeks, and something weird is going on in C-U.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ May 31, 2012 -> 09:34 AM)
Sounds like Illinois just basically "cooled" on James. I bet he ends up at a mid-major. Didn't have a real good year at La Lumiere.

My guess is that they are going to land Nic Moore. ISU just signed a PG from Canada, Kaza Keane.

Big East/SEC Challenge Matchups released:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketbal...ig-east-matchup

Nov. 29: Marquette at Florida, Seton Hall at LSU, South Carolina at St. John’s and Kentucky at Notre Dame.

Nov. 30: DePaul at Auburn, Georgia at South Florida, Tennessee at Georgetown and Syracuse at Arkansas.

Dec. 1: Rutgers at Ole Miss, Villanova at Vanderbilt, Mississippi State at Providence and Alabama at Cincinnati.

The scheduling for the Big Ten/ACC is way better. I don't know why they don't matchup the powerhouse schools. That could have been interesting if you had Syracuse/Kentucky and Lousivlle/Florida. They did the same thing last year and it was even more annoying because there were more quality teams.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 03:36 PM)
Why?

I think it has to do with them leaving for the ACC after this season and the fact that it's a true road game. The AD replied all to the whole conference the following about it:

OJ this is premature as we are over committed and can't play at this point.

I wish we could have agreement as you have put us all in what could be an

embarrassing situation

We are not confirmed. I find it amazing that there is no discussion to make a better plan.

We have been collegial with the Big East yet it appears that there is no willingness

to cooperate. Daryl

The nice thing is, he will basically be along a similar timeline as the current year incoming class of recruits (which is Iowa's best recruiting class in years; Woodbury, Gessel, and now Uthoff, who will be eligible for 3 years after he sits out this year). That is three top 100 prospects, something Iowa hasn't had in a long time. Plus they have Clemmons, Ingram, and Meyer who are all legitimate 3 star recruits.

In Fran I trust!

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 12:45 PM)
The scheduling for the Big Ten/ACC is way better. I don't know why they don't matchup the powerhouse schools. That could have been interesting if you had Syracuse/Kentucky and Lousivlle/Florida. They did the same thing last year and it was even more annoying because there were more quality teams.

Part of it is the SEC just isn't good enough. Without the newbies it's a pretty poor basketball conference. With them it's only mediocre.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 12:16 PM)
Part of it is the SEC just isn't good enough. Without the newbies it's a pretty poor basketball conference. With them it's only mediocre.

All the more reason to make sure you get the right matchups to draw interest.

I realize that you really only have two teams anyone is hyping in the SEC right now, so have them play Syracuse and Lousville instead of Marquette and Notre Dame. Those should still be decent games, but the others would draw more interest (yes, I know Kentucky plays Louisville anyways).

Last year the SEC was a bit better and you could have had a more interesting event. You actually had two decent games with Vanderbilt/Louisville and Syracuse/Florida, but you had Kentucky playing St. John's instead of a more hyped team like UConn (yeah, I know they weren't as good as expected) and Alabama/Marquette would have looked like an interesting matchup as both were relatively highly regarded (though the game against Georgetown ended up being solid).

I guess it's basically how Kentucky and to a lesser extent Florida are handled with the matchups. It doesn't really help your event if they're playing St. John's, and though Notre Dame should be decent, they're not Syracuse. It may be nitpicking since Kentucky did play Kansas, UNC, Indiana and Louisville out of conference, but if you're trying to build interest in this challenge, that doesn't help you at all.

Here is a good video of Tom Crean speaking at an IU Tailgate tour in Southern IN outside of Louisville. He talks about all players on the team including the incoming freshmen. Also talks about academics, stating Jordan Hulls and Derek Elston have graduated in 3 years, Cody Zeller is on pace to graduate in 2 1/2, Will Sheehey in 3 and Victor Oladipo in 3 1/2.

Tom Crean at Huber Farms

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 10:20 AM)
Are there any actual IU grads on here? How do you feel about those players graduating in ALOT less time than you did?

How many summer courses are those guys taking though.