2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 03:17 PM)
Groce will get his guys, give it time.

I'm drinking that orange Groce Kool-Aid. I wanted them to hire somebody else, but as soon he was brought on, I've liked everything I have heard about him, and I am in. Plus, he can't be any worse than the last guy, right?

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 11:09 PM)
I'm drinking that orange Groce Kool-Aid. I wanted them to hire somebody else, but as soon he was brought on, I've liked everything I have heard about him, and I am in. Plus, he can't be any worse than the last guy, right?

Don't drink all of it, leave me some. I'm in. I might be wrong later, but I'm all in on this.

I wonder if he'll regret his decision after watching his announcement show. A Notre Dame football recruit was the lead story.

A lot of basketball players, especially ones going to Catholic high schools in Indiana, are huge ND football fans. The appeal of getting to be a part of that, even though it's not the sport you play, is a big selling point by ND for basketball recruits (and soccer, hockey, etc.)

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 08:00 AM)
A lot of basketball players, especially ones going to Catholic high schools in Indiana, are huge ND football fans. The appeal of getting to be a part of that, even though it's not the sport you play, is a big selling point by ND for basketball recruits (and soccer, hockey, etc.)

Notre Dame fans are a freaking cult in Indiana.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 11:48 AM)
Hey if top 4 is your goal more power to ya. I suspect championships is what most fans are looking for.

Wisconsin gets their fair share of Big 10 Championships. But they are never going to be Kentucky, so its unrealistic to think they are going to win the Big 10 every year. I just want them to keep up their tournament streak and make an impact.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 11:55 AM)
Wisconsin gets their fair share of Big 10 Championships. But they are never going to be Kentucky, so its unrealistic to think they are going to win the Big 10 every year. I just want them to keep up their tournament streak and make an impact.

I was just busting your balls dude, as an OSU fan I know the danger of the badgers all too well.

Simeon PG Jaylon Tate commits to Illinois.

Not a huge prospect, but he's been impressing a lot lately and was garnering big interest from more than mid-major schools lately. I think this is a good get, someone that will be in the program for 4 years and be a solid contributor and teammate. Get XRM to commit and I would just be thrilled with this class (pretty damn happy already).

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 07:22 PM)
CPS/Simeon connections are getting much stronger.

Hopefully, they can get Charles Matthews out of St. Rita in a few years (connected with the Meanstreets). It would be cool to have somebody from my Alma Mater playing basketball at U of I. Although, who knows how good he will be in a few years. It's so hard to project high school players, especially since so many from Chicago get overhyped early on.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 09:02 PM)
2, Harrison brothers.

Calipari has created such a system that he doesn't even have to pay players now. Immediate playing time, national title contenders, near guarantee to be a 1st round pick, stars like Jay-Z & Drake hang out with the program.

Until the NBA changes the one and done system, Kentucky can get quite a stranglehold on the NCAA game.

Calipari has created such a system that he doesn't even have to pay players now. Immediate playing time, national title contenders, near guarantee to be a 1st round pick, stars like Jay-Z & Drake hang out with the program.

Until the NBA changes the one and done system, Kentucky can get quite a stranglehold on the NCAA game.

If the NCAA doesn't like the one and done system, it's pretty easy to change on their end. New rule: Every scholarship you give out counts against your limit for three years, regardless of how long the player actually stays. Would force teams to limit the number of one-and-done players they get. You couldn't bring in five new ones every year.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 4, 2012 -> 11:08 PM)

Not to mention the 5 star luxury resort you get to stay at on campus for your year spent on campus. Personal chefs and all. It's a joke. Calipari is ruining the game through all of these loopholes. The NCAA or NBA has to step in and do something about this one and done thing. They could literally have 4 of the top 5 players in the 2013 class. Throw in Andrew Wiggins, who is likely reclassifying to 2013, it's disgusting. This guy is far and away the best prospect since LeBron.

Edited by He_Gawn

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 06:50 AM)
Not to mention the 5 star luxury resort you get to stay at on campus for your year spent on campus. Personal chefs and all. It's a joke. Calipari is ruining the game through all of these loopholes. The NCAA or NBA has to step in and do something about this one and done thing. They could literally have 4 of the top 5 players in the 2013 class. Throw in Andrew Wiggins, who is likely reclassifying to 2013, it's disgusting. This guy is far and away the best prospect since LeBron.

Didn't know that. No way Illinois can ever compete with that, all freshman are required to stay in the dorms. I'm sure we're not the only school that does that.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 08:48 AM)
Didn't know that. No way Illinois can ever compete with that, all freshman are required to stay in the dorms. I'm sure we're not the only school that does that.

I had no idea either. Holy hell, this "dorm" is ridiculous.

link

The elite program, which has perennially drawn the nation’s top prospects since head coach John Calipari took over the program in 2009, also has digs for its players that the majority of college students can only dream of, Calipari revealed in a video on his website.

Calipari gave viewers an inside look at the school’s freshly renovated Wildcat Coal Lodge, home to the basketball team starting this year.

The $7 million dorm is located next to Kentucky’s practice facility and athletic tutoring center. It includes a private chef, extravagant lounges and large dorm rooms intended for 7-footers.

There are flat-screen televisions scattered through the building displaying the players’ different schedules for practices, weightlifting and conditioning sessions and, yes, even classes. The lounges offer a dozen leather recliners around a large flat screen television and blue-felt pool tables matching the Kentucky championship banners and basketball murals.

All the dorm rooms are singles – no roommates – and set to fit rather large basketball players. The hallways feature a list of Kentucky players taken in the NBA Draft and former players currently in the league.

Though NCAA rules prohibit strictly athletic dorms, it is allowed because Kentucky houses non student-athletes here too. Rules state at least 50 percent of every dormitory floor has to be non-athletes.

Those regular students sure struck it rich.

Ron Powlus lived down the hall from me in the same piece of s*** dorm for two years. No luxury suites for football players at ND.