2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 10:35 AM)
I worked in University Housing at UI for a couple years, saw most of the plans for the new buildings (they're replacing the 6-pack, the largest student housing area, and also current home to student-athletes). I didn't see any plans for a special building like that, and considering those dorms are the closest to all things athletic on campus I'd be surprised if they were building elsewhere. Then again, maybe a few floors are just going to receive some special upgrades (the new buildings as a whole are/going to be gorgeous).

I could have sworn the 2005-2006 (and later) teams stayed in off campus apartment complexes, like that big one over on Lincoln near the interstate.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 12:03 PM)
I could have sworn the 2005-2006 (and later) teams stayed in off campus apartment complexes, like that big one over on Lincoln near the interstate.

All the upperclassmen stayed in apartments in Savoy, but the freshman had to live in the dorms for a year.

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 01:09 PM)
The longer it goes on, the less cheating he will have to do, lessening the chances he cheats.

Or the opposite, the more pressure put on you to continue at that level no matter the cost. Thats what got alot of other programs in trouble.

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 01:07 PM)
Quite the reach there. In the meantime, and for the foreseeable future, he's dominating.

Why is it a reach? The guy has job hopped his way through his career usually right in front of a scandal. Why should it be any different at UK?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 02:37 PM)
Reggie Rankin ‏@ReggieRankin

Just spoke with ESPN 100 #1 player Jabari Parker. List cut to five. No order Stanford, BYU, Duke, Mich St, Florida

I was hoping for DePaul. I'd love to see a Chicago school get back on the map. I know it was a pipedream and all, but hey.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 03:49 PM)
He's also be close to home, and Izzo has a good history with Chicago recruits.

Izzo has had very few players from Chicago. The only one I can really think of is Shannon Brown and he didn't have near the career he was expected to coming out of high school as the #3 player in the country.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 02:41 PM)
Why is it a reach? The guy has job hopped his way through his career usually right in front of a scandal. Why should it be any different at UK?

Because there's nowhere else to go...he's already at the top. And he's clearly still motivated as seen by his recruiting. In terms of scandal, like has been said already, he's already built something that attracts top talent anyways.

As for Jabari...well...I guess it's better to kill that tiny little glimmer of hope now rather than later...whether I thought we were ahead of byu and stanford or not, I didn't think he'd come here anyways...

purnell has been doing a bad job...now the only glimmer of any sort of positiveness for the program is a new stadium in the city I guess :/

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 02:41 PM)

It's a reach because even though he's been caught up at UMass and Memphis, he's one step ahead and moves on to another job rather soon and he's still gaining steam. More and more players want to play for him just off of the fact of how many players, and valuable players at that, he's put in the NBA. If you are a great prospect, there's perhaps no other person you would trust for your development during college to get to the NBA other than Calipari. That's what he can sell these kids now.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 6, 2012 -> 08:37 AM)
It's a reach because even though he's been caught up at UMass and Memphis, he's one step ahead and moves on to another job rather soon and he's still gaining steam. More and more players want to play for him just off of the fact of how many players, and valuable players at that, he's put in the NBA. If you are a great prospect, there's perhaps no other person you would trust for your development during college to get to the NBA other than Calipari. That's what he can sell these kids now.

Right, meaning its not a reach that he'll move on from UK. He'll be in the NBA within 5 years.

I dunno. I think Calipari could go to the NBA any time he wanted to. I think he would rather mold the enormous egos on a max 4 year basis(which is 2 years for him most of the time) as opposed to deal with those egos for long contracts. He was flushed out of the NBA rather uncerimoniously the first time

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 6, 2012 -> 11:59 AM)
I dunno. I think Calipari could go to the NBA any time he wanted to. I think he would rather mold the enormous egos on a max 4 year basis(which is 2 years for him most of the time) as opposed to deal with those egos for long contracts. He was flushed out of the NBA rather uncerimoniously the first time

This. In fact, he made the playoffs with those Nets and he was still let go. I know he's had offers before to go to the NBA. I know Atlanta offered him a deal when Lon Kruger was hired. It's just a matter that he probably prefers the NCAA as he's clearly in charge, he's highly successful, and he enjoys making the most millionaires from college basketball. In fact, I remember an interview earlier this year in which he stated, the National Championship would be nice, but that's moreso for the fans. What he enjoys is being able to look at his players and telling them, I'm going to make you a millionaire and you're going to be able to take care of your family.